A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: CandyCane passed away :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I'm looking into and thoroughly researching bearded dragons to see if one would be a good fit for my family. My son has been telling me for weeks that Santa is probably bringing him a snake or a lizard and I should prepare myself, so that's what I'm doing. I have 8 year old twins, and a bearded dragon would be their one big gift from Santa Claus. They would not be the primary caretakers for obvious reasons, so I'm also researching what level of care they need, etc. I've learned they need quite a bit when they're younger, and I'm also trying to figure out if this is financially feasible for my family as well. I'm posting mainly because I have a question about habitat. I've been looking at different potential terrariums and I found one called the zen habitat. It's 4 feet long by 2 feet wide, so plenty of room. I'm just wondering if any bearded dragon owners on here have any first hand experience with these enclosures? Also, hoping to find a good breeder in Louisiana that will have some fun morphs, hopefully the bright yellow colors. I wouldn't mind having one shipped, but it would be easiest for us to pick up on Christmas Eve from someone local if that's at all possible. I have a veterinarian (for my dog) that also sees bearded dragons so that's in order. Anyway, just saying hello and introducing myself because I'll probably have lots of questions lol. Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Woohoo they are here!!

I love the names. I love the pictures!

I don't rinse my BSFL. I have a sifter that is the right size to let the "substrate" pass through and not the larva. Works well for me. I tried rinsing them a couple times and it's a nightmare for me. I must just not do it how everyone else does lol. But sifting them is really quick and simple, so I do it.

In regards to interaction, people have different opinions. I typically like to keep handling to a minimum for the first few weeks to allow them to settle in. Although I didn't do that with my most recent, Kiki. It really doesn't matter, I just feel it stresses them out less.

In regards to shedding, baths aren't necessary during a shed. Baths are rarely necessary honestly. If you dribble some water from a spray bottle on their nose once a day or so hopefully they will get the idea that it's water to drink. Sometimes it takes awhile but it's one of the best ways to hydrate IMO.

How are your kids liking them so far? :D

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":l4u2kb5w said:
Woohoo they are here!!

I love the names. I love the pictures!

I don't rinse my BSFL. I have a sifter that is the right size to let the "substrate" pass through and not the larva. Works well for me. I tried rinsing them a couple times and it's a nightmare for me. I must just not do it how everyone else does lol. But sifting them is really quick and simple, so I do it.

In regards to interaction, people have different opinions. I typically like to keep handling to a minimum for the first few weeks to allow them to settle in. Although I didn't do that with my most recent, Kiki. It really doesn't matter, I just feel it stresses them out less.

In regards to shedding, baths aren't necessary during a shed. Baths are rarely necessary honestly. If you dribble some water from a spray bottle on their nose once a day or so hopefully they will get the idea that it's water to drink. Sometimes it takes awhile but it's one of the best ways to hydrate IMO.

How are your kids liking them so far? :D

-Brandon
They love them! They ran to the car when I picked them up in the car line at school and got in faster than they ever have lol. I did spritz with a spray bottle of water today and both drank happily that way which is great. I'll probably stick to the sifter method if I don't have to rinse. I'll see when they get here. I think we will keep interaction to a minimum for the first week/few weeks. Stick to feeding greens by hand every once in a while and bugs with tongs because I'm not quite there yet handling them by hand lol. Both my kids fed CandyCane with tongs earlier and loved watching it. My sister and her kids were here too and we all agree they're adorable. It's funny to see the different personalities already. The most difficult is getting my daughter to understand that she has to respect the animal and that it isn't just her plaything. She loves animals so much, but sometimes loves on them TOO much which is why our dog avoids her unless she has food.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please feed greens every day-- you want them eating them now and everyday -- otherwise they may not eat them at all later when they are supposed to eat more of them - I can't get hiccup to eat them at all even when I try hand feeding him all he does is close his eyes-- even if they are only eating a couple of bites now they will eventually eat more- my little blaze eats them now like a champ
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":37lilf7c said:
Please feed greens every day-- you want them eating them now and everyday -- otherwise they may not eat them at all later when they are supposed to eat more of them - I can't get hiccup to eat them at all even when I try hand feeding him all he does is close his eyes-- even if they are only eating a couple of bites now they will eventually eat more- my little blaze eats them now like a champ
Karrie
They’ll get salad every day. What I meant is offering greens by hand every once in a while just to get them used to my presence since I handle the insects with tongs atm, but their salads will be there every morning like clockwork probably.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok great- that was why I gave the hints w/ the bsfl and the other worms- the movement will get them to their bowls and you can put their dubias in the bowls too - use glass and they can't get out
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":79x2yfue said:
Ok great- that was why I gave the hints w/ the bsfl and the other worms- the movement will get them to their bowls and you can put their dubias in the bowls too - use glass and they can't get out
Karrie

I bought glass bowls. Easier to clean for me and now has the added bonus of keeping the feeders inside them lol. I made up the salads this morning, dusted some roaches and put them on top. I got Elliot down just in case he couldn't make his way down, and he's been hanging out around his food bowl. I haven't seen him eat because I'm trying not to crowd the front, but he's been by it so I'm assuming he wants to or is about to.

On a side not, no one told me how cute these guys are when they sleep! Arms under chins and everything. Adorable.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Babies for sure are the cutest. Idk why anyone wants them to grow up fast! Lol.

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":314swb3o said:
Babies for sure are the cutest. Idk why anyone wants them to grow up fast! Lol.

-Brandon

They are definitely adorable. My sister even thought so lol and she's strictly a cat person. She leaves the dogs and strange pets to me. Which I'm totally ok with haha.

Also, I'm thinking I need a higher basking spot. There's one spot where it gets to 105-107 currently, but it's a small spot and I think a platform will work better. What's the optimum distance for a baby from a 100W basking lamp? I'm wondering if I'm having trouble with my heat ray gun as well. Hrm.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
opaquelace":8tbk8umn said:
https://www.amazon.com/Niteangel-Su...od+shelf&qid=1579099733&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-2

I was looking at something like this to attach to the wall so there are varying heights for them, but I can't find the type of wood it is and I don't want to get the wrong kind.
Replying to myself but oh well. I actually just raised their hammocks...derp! Should work for now. If not I have a bunch of leftover cork and I may make some kind of neat climbing platform for them out of that.

Also CandyCane LOVES her greens and her dusted roaches. She's been going back and forth to her bowl all morning munching and exploring. And Elliot seems to have eaten more roaches as well since I don't see as many as there were before.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What model of ir gun do you have? And what surface are you trying to measure? The wooden branch?

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":bfet68zz said:
What model of ir gun do you have? And what surface are you trying to measure? The wooden branch?

-Brandon

Is it the surface a need to be aiming for? or ambient temp? I guess that should be the question. The large branch on the ground gets to about 105. It just varies a lot over short distances it seems. Ambient temp on the warm side is about 95.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You want basking surface no hotter than 110 --- if your floor of the tank is 105 its gonna be too hot on top ---- ambient temps in the tank can range from 100 hotside to 80 cool side - Its the basking temps you need to worry about - and as long as they have a cool side 80'd during the day your good
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":k1ks4t5y said:
You want basking surface no hotter than 110 --- if your floor of the tank is 105 its gonna be too hot on top ---- ambient temps in the tank can range from 100 hotside to 80 cool side - Its the basking temps you need to worry about - and as long as they have a cool side 80'd during the day your good
Karrie
Okie dokie perfect! They have ample branches and items on that side to get to all different heights both in direct light from the basking lamp and indirect light. I was just curious because they are still dark, but I was reading that some stay dark in enclosures and lighten up when they're held, and it is really just up to the dragon. The cool side sits about 85. Y'all really know your stuff lol. I listened to you guys 100% when building these enclosures and so far everything is on point with heat and light and such.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
82615298_10104308498875990_7260658341490196480_n.jpg

Boop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom