Pinworm medication question (s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triona

107095-785040232.jpg
Hello :) we're a new-ish beardie family and have run into our 1st health issue...
Our Vet just prescribed metronidazole for pinworms... Is this a normal treatment?
Can pinworms cause 100% liquid diarrhea?
She tested positive for pinworms, but negative for giardia, coccidia & other cooties.

(Our Miss Penny had a large amount of wholly liquid, somewhat transparent diarrhea on Saturday (another liquid poo this morning.) We took her to the local reptile Veterinarian on Sunday with a stool sample. Other than the diarrhea, and pinworms she was in good health. I expected an anthelmintic & was surprised by the flagyl prescription.)

Thank you greatly for any input!

T-

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I have heard of it being given but usually the go to is Panacur [ fenbendazole ] Miss Penny looks good and it's good that she's active + eating. :) What is her diet ?

Triona

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply!

She gets 2 salads/day, and bugs every other.
* Our staple greens are Mustard, collard, dandelion (seasonal) with the occasional basil or cilantro for topping.
* Butternut/acorn/spaghetti/summer squash and/or cactus pad are daily as well. I rotate in small portions of extras like carrots, raspberries, snap peas, mandarin, garbanzo beans, blueberry, red/green peppers, raw green bean.
* Protein is Dubias, BSFL, and Supers - hornworms are coming on the next order.
* Calcium dusting daily on salad & bugs, Herptivite every 3rd day.

(Lighting is one 24in T5, a basking & a CHE. Temps are all good.)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, that's quite a varied diet, sounds like she gets a lot of great nutrition :) The large amount + types veggies might be partly responsible for the liquidy poo. Maybe cut back on the squash as well as the cactus since they are full of moisture,also less fruit. Calcium only lightly on one meal a day at most [ even every other day ] only on either the insects or the salad. Herptivite once a week. See if thst makes any difference.

Triona

Original Poster
Thank you so much! I'll make the changes & fingers crossed she's a much happier girl soon. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom