2 male dragons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have an adult male bearded dragon and my brother is possibly getting a male bearded dragon, I don’t know how old it is but it is very little but it’s not getting taken care of and I don’t think it has grown at all since they have had him. My brother and I are trying to take him to give him proper care but I was wondering about having him around my beardie. Simba (my big guy) is super sweet and he’s never aggressive but I know males together is a bad idea. Is it ok to have them near each other while the other one is little? In the future would they be ok next to each other when the other dragon is an adult? I know you can’t house them together but would they be ok being out together?

*edit* thanks for all the interest! Just to be clear they would not be housed together, they would actually be housed in different rooms. I just don’t want them getting hurt if my brother and I each have one out at the same time. You guys have been so helpful! I was also wondering about my adult male dragon with a young male dragon. Would there be the same reaction as 2 adults? Thanks again for all the responses, I really appreciate it!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Nope!!! I would not chance it -- they need their own tanks and I would not let them see each other - I have 2 male dragons one is 2 the other is 6.5 months old - they do not see each other - the tanks are side by side in my computer room and the sides and backing of the tanks are bamboo - I have 2 Zen Habitats --- both face front - I think Hiccup might have smelled Blaze one day as he was black bearding and he NEVER black beards so I am thinking he caught a whiff of him - he has never done any head bobbing or arm waving etc all associated w/ the breeding thing - hes never even seen his reflection -- but you can never have the 2 out together as one may attach the other and that would not be good --
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I concur , it's a recipy for trouble , and both males will be constantly stressed . They will know there is another male dragon even if they never see it.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
They're not asking about housing them together, they're asking about having them outside the tanks near each other.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Deabrua":27mqeibb said:
They're not asking about housing them together, they're asking about having them outside the tanks near each other.

That is very risky, they will attack one another, you are likely to end up with at best a dragon who has lost an arm or leg as a result .
If one is larger than the other , the smaller male dragon will end up dead if it can't escape the larger male.

DON"T DO IT.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
but you can never have the 2 out together as one may attach the other and that would not be good --
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Too many definites being thrown around lately. Unless someone here has a crystal ball, no one can say for sure that one will attack the other, and no one can say for sure that they wont attack each other.

Like mentioned, op isnt talking about keeping them in the same tank.

That being said, tons of people have multiple dragons. And tons of people have more than 1 male.
You most certainly can have 2 males if you want.

If they can see each other in their tanks and it is stressing them out, easy solution - move their tanks or block their view of each other.

If you're concerned about how they might interact when out together, you will just have to see. Very seldom do males attack without some type of warning first whether it be head bobbing or black bearding or an aggressive stance. My females have been the trickier ones to gauge whether they are acting aggressive or not.

And there is another easy solution to that problem too. Dont let them out together. I have 5 dragons. 99 times out of 100, I only bring 1 out at a time. Not because they are cold blooded territorial killers like some might suggest, but simply because it's hard enough sometimes to keep an eye on just 1 lol.

So if you want two dragons (of any gender) and you have the space and money for two, go for it! :)

-Brandon

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
We have 2 males at the house and we sometimes take them out "together" as in at the same time, but they are physically separated. The closest they get is the length of the couch, but then only when they're enjoying nap time with their fav. humans. They're not allowed to see one another, though. I had one outside and my other one caught a glimpse & was bobbing and acting all tough for the next half hour, so we prevent that to keep everyone calm. We also keep all their cage gear, food dishes, and whatnot separate so that cross-contamination risk is lowered (neither are sick that we know of, but just being cautious). If they know about each other from scent or otherwise, it doesn't appear to bother them.

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
You could house them next to each other only if you make sure that they can see each other by placing a cardboard divider or placing them on top of each other

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
*Link to Shock Video Removed by Moderator*
A reminder to all of one of the rules of this forum:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=51296

-Brandon

This is the likely result , unless separated , things are likely to end up bloody.
The person who just stood back and let this happen while filming it is a j*rk BTW.

In the wild such confrontations don't last long as the it's quickly decided who the dominant male is and the other runs away , but in a tank or a room , the males can't escape from one another . IMO it's cruelty and very bad form to submit two male bearded dragons to such a confrontation knowingly when it's so easily avoided.

I have a sneaking suspicion that either David Attenborough or Steve Irwin in one of their docos showed the response of an dominant adult male dragon to an encounter with another adult male dragon of the same species.

The rule of thumb here in Australia, is keep your male dragons apart and never allow them to meet.

Hjballinger":2czdtovb said:
I currently have an adult male bearded dragon and my brother is possibly getting a male bearded dragon, I don’t know how old it is but it is very little but it’s not getting taken care of and I don’t think it has grown at all since they have had him. My brother and I are trying to take him to give him proper care but I was wondering about having him around my beardie. Simba (my big guy) is super sweet and he’s never aggressive but I know males together is a bad idea. Is it ok to have them near each other while the other one is little? In the future would they be ok next to each other when the other dragon is an adult? I know you can’t house them together but would they be ok being out together?

*edit* thanks for all the interest! Just to be clear they would not be housed together, they would actually be housed in different rooms. I just don’t want them getting hurt if my brother and I each have one out at the same time. Thanks again for all the responses, I really appreciate it!!
my beardie ginger ate a small lizard i introduced to him... so yeah beardies will eat anything small enough to fit in their mouth. do not worry it was a feeder lizard.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Having 2 male dragons is possible but as suggested, it's wise not to let them socialize since
they usually are aggressive towards other males. There are too many accidents that occur
between males.
If you do have 2 males, then just keep them separated & everything should be just fine. Just
rotate their free roam times so they aren't out at the same time in the same room or areas.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
NiGhtMaRe050910":yejc4239 said:
Hjballinger":yejc4239 said:

*edit* thanks for all the interest! Just to be clear they would not be housed together, they would actually be housed in different rooms. I just don’t want them getting hurt if my brother and I each have one out at the same time. Thanks again for all the responses, I really appreciate it!!
my beardie ginger ate a small lizard i introduced to him... so yeah beardies will eat anything small enough to fit in their mouth. do not worry it was a feeder lizard.

Very dangerous practice likely to introduce a viral and bacterial infection, and / or parasites to your dragon. (Feeding it smaller lizards.).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Drache613":3mi1tsv5 said:
Hello,

Having 2 male dragons is possible but as suggested, it's wise not to let them socialize since
they usually are aggressive towards other males. There are too many accidents that occur
between males.
If you do have 2 males, then just keep them separated & everything should be just fine. Just
rotate their free roam times so they aren't out at the same time in the same room or areas.

Tracie

That's only safe approach .

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
I have 3 male beardies, As the others said do not house them together or let them roam around together as that is a recipe for disaster. But it is perfectly fine to keep more than one male. As long as they can't see each other they won't really care about each other from my experience. Sure they might head bob pretty often but if you give them the proper setups and care and don't let them see each other everything should go smoothly. Good luck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom