An old cat and a possible beardie

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

An old cat and a possible beardie

Postby Grezgu » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:29 pm

Hi! This is my first post on this forum, and i have a really old cat, and an almost year long obsession with beardies. I finally have almost enough money to give one a very spoiled life, but theres a looming issue. I have a very old cat. (She probably only has a year or two left in her :c) but dont yell yet, i know the harm, and i wont be getting a beardie if I deem that dangerous. My cat is irreplaceable, but more importantly is slow, very old, has never attacked any of my previous small birds or my snake. And generally is very indifferent. Another factor is that she lives pretty much exclusively upstairs of my house because she claimed my guest bedroom, And id be keeping my beardie downstairs. What do you think? (Sorry if this is the wrong section :( )
Grezgu
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:18 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: An old cat and a possible beardie

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:06 pm

I have 5 cats in my house - I keep my 2 dragons in my computer room on a aquarium stand and one on a old dresser - neither one can be gotten to by any of the cats - there is nothing beside the stands to allow for them to get on top of the tanks --- and they do not jump from the floor they have never tried - I take my one dragon out the older one and he sits in the LR w/ my supervising him and the cats dont bother him if anything he is trying to sit on them --- my baby is not old enough to come out of the tank right now as hes not big enough - I dont want him under furniture etc and hes still a little wild so we are working on that -- you can introduce you kitty to your dragon like I did w/ all of my cats - now they sniff Hiccup and walk away -- the same w/ Blaze - they are not really interested in them - I think you would be fine w/ her - just watch her and see how she behaves --
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 9942
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: An old cat and a possible beardie

Postby Claudiusx » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:12 pm

Hi there,

When I was younger there were tons of cats in the house, and I never had an incident. I think a lot of people have cats and dragons/other small pets and there isn't an issue.

The problem is when there is one. It's usually pretty bad and it's pretty "loud" in the sense of it makes a lot of waves through the community. What isn't "loud" is all the thousands of dragon owners who also have cats.

I don't have cats anymore ( they never really were mine to begin with ) and to me, the pets that come first are my dragons. That being said, if I decided I wanted a cat, having dragons wouldn't deter me from it. I'd just be more cautious.
There are numerous ways to catproof and enclosure. You definitely can have both as long as you realize there is a possibility of an issue if you aren't careful.

Is having a cat more risky than not having a cat? Yes. Of course. But how much of a risk, is largely up to personal opinion.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
User avatar
Claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 18960
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: An old cat and a possible beardie

Postby Grezgu » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:38 pm

claudiusx wrote:Hi there,

When I was younger there were tons of cats in the house, and I never had an incident. I think a lot of people have cats and dragons/other small pets and there isn't an issue.

The problem is when there is one. It's usually pretty bad and it's pretty "loud" in the sense of it makes a lot of waves through the community. What isn't "loud" is all the thousands of dragon owners who also have cats.

I don't have cats anymore ( they never really were mine to begin with ) and to me, the pets that come first are my dragons. That being said, if I decided I wanted a cat, having dragons wouldn't deter me from it. I'd just be more cautious.
There are numerous ways to catproof and enclosure. You definitely can have both as long as you realize there is a possibility of an issue if you aren't careful.

Is having a cat more risky than not having a cat? Yes. Of course. But how much of a risk, is largely up to personal opinion.

-Brandon


Yeah, part of me thought that its just so... extreme. Ive seen some people here say its abuse to your dragon, and theres no way it could ever work no matter what. which just always felt kinda wrong :)
Grezgu
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:18 pm

Re: An old cat and a possible beardie

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:14 pm

Doesn't matter how old the cat is, it's still a cat and hardwired as such .

So bringing a lizard into the house is EXTREMELY RISKY (for the lizard) and there is a very high probability the cat will attack and either very seriously injure the lizard or torture it to death given the first opportunity.

The cat must never be allowed near the dragon or it's tank or even in the same room EVER .

Cats are perfectly capable of getting through wire mesh ( as commonly found in USA style lizard tank lids ) with their claws and fangs , and only need a hole big enough to get a front claw through to hook the terrified lizard and drag it out of the tank. This happened to the kid next door's colony of Jacky Dragons , sister's cat snuck into the room , tore a hole in the wire mesh lid , and took 4 of the 5 jacky's out and tortured 3 to death and left one with a broken neck and back (who was boring because it was no longer moving).

And it only takes one scratch or bite from a cat to inflict a festering life threatening very hard to treat systemic infection that invariably ends up killing the injured lizard.

The cat and dragon will NEVER be pals , don't let cat-people tell you otherwise (they are deluding themselves).

Unless you can be 100% sure the rest of your family will be obsessive about keeping the cat out of the room the dragon will be living in (cats are very sneeky and often slip through doors that are being closed without people knowing this has happened), my advise is wait til the cat is no longer in the picture.

Long and the short of it - IT'S NOT WORTH THE RISK.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 12174
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Re: An old cat and a possible beardie

Postby DorgEndo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:26 pm

People keep all types of animals where one could harm or stress the other. Everyone has their idea on what would be best or the worst thing. There are rational precautions you can take to keep your dragon safe and reduce stress from other housemates.

There are sturdy and secure enclosures you can get for your dragon. You can add locks to the doors. You can install a camera, something simple like a Wyze to verify that your dragon isn't being bothered by any other house inhabitants human or otherwise. You could go so far as to keep the dragon or cat separated by a door when you aren't home or awake to supervise. People also don't put doors between their critters. Making sure there isn't a way for a cat or any animal to climb on the enclosure or perch nearby and stare inside, as that could stress out a bearded dragon.

Personally I'd recommend a sturdy enclosure, door locks, and a camera.
Devlyn my beautiful bearded dragon, approx hatch 8/18, mine since 2/19. Kitty Greysie born 3/06. Lttle rescue Charlie the American grey tree frog, found 11/18. Lots of house plants, I like cacti and succulents.
User avatar
DorgEndo
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:51 am
Location: MN, USA

Re: An old cat and a possible beardie

Postby Grezgu » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:06 am

DorgEndo wrote:People keep all types of animals where one could harm or stress the other. Everyone has their idea on what would be best or the worst thing. There are rational precautions you can take to keep your dragon safe and reduce stress from other housemates.

There are sturdy and secure enclosures you can get for your dragon. You can add locks to the doors. You can install a camera, something simple like a Wyze to verify that your dragon isn't being bothered by any other house inhabitants human or otherwise. You could go so far as to keep the dragon or cat separated by a door when you aren't home or awake to supervise. People also don't put doors between their critters. Making sure there isn't a way for a cat or any animal to climb on the enclosure or perch nearby and stare inside, as that could stress out a bearded dragon.

Personally I'd recommend a sturdy enclosure, door locks, and a camera.


Yep thats what i figured! Thank you :)
Grezgu
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:18 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: An old cat and a possible beardie

Postby Grezgu » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:08 am

kingofnobbys wrote:Doesn't matter how old the cat is, it's still a cat and hardwired as such .

So bringing a lizard into the house is EXTREMELY RISKY (for the lizard) and there is a very high probability the cat will attack and either very seriously injure the lizard or torture it to death given the first opportunity.

The cat must never be allowed near the dragon or it's tank or even in the same room EVER .

Cats are perfectly capable of getting through wire mesh ( as commonly found in USA style lizard tank lids ) with their claws and fangs , and only need a hole big enough to get a front claw through to hook the terrified lizard and drag it out of the tank. This happened to the kid next door's colony of Jacky Dragons , sister's cat snuck into the room , tore a hole in the wire mesh lid , and took 4 of the 5 jacky's out and tortured 3 to death and left one with a broken neck and back (who was boring because it was no longer moving).

And it only takes one scratch or bite from a cat to inflict a festering life threatening very hard to treat systemic infection that invariably ends up killing the injured lizard.

The cat and dragon will NEVER be pals , don't let cat-people tell you otherwise (they are deluding themselves).

Unless you can be 100% sure the rest of your family will be obsessive about keeping the cat out of the room the dragon will be living in (cats are very sneeky and often slip through doors that are being closed without people knowing this has happened), my advise is wait til the cat is no longer in the picture.

Long and the short of it - IT'S NOT WORTH THE RISK.


I understand your concern fully, but I feel like you didnt fully read my post and just reposted this from somewhere... I have small birds and a snake in my house. Shes never attacked either of them, and they are both prey.
Grezgu
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:18 pm

Re: An old cat and a possible beardie

Postby ComicBookMama » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:29 am

Grezgu wrote:Hi! This is my first post on this forum, and i have a really old cat, and an almost year long obsession with beardies. I finally have almost enough money to give one a very spoiled life, but theres a looming issue. I have a very old cat. (She probably only has a year or two left in her :c) but dont yell yet, i know the harm, and i wont be getting a beardie if I deem that dangerous. My cat is irreplaceable, but more importantly is slow, very old, has never attacked any of my previous small birds or my snake. And generally is very indifferent. Another factor is that she lives pretty much exclusively upstairs of my house because she claimed my guest bedroom, And id be keeping my beardie downstairs. What do you think? (Sorry if this is the wrong section :( )


You are planning on having your beardie in an enclosure, yes? That would be the only question I'd have... free range beardie + cat would be iffy; a beardie in an enclosure, preferably an enclosure that doesn't have a wire mesh top, would be doable. A "cabinet sort" of habitat with a solid roof and front-opening doors would be best, in case you ever decide that you want another cat who might have a totally different personality. I wish I'd invested in one of the sturdier enclosures myself!

I've got a cat and a dog; I keep the door to the computer room, where Figment lives, closed if I'm not in there. Neither my dog nor my cat seemed to have any interest in Figment, after the initial settling-in period... but better safe than sorry, even with an old, loveable kitty. :)

Love on your old kitty for however much time s/he has left with you, and enjoy getting your dragon.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1.0 Bearded Dragons - Figment
1.0 dogs - Ariel
1.0 cats - Skimble
1.0 husband
1.0 son
User avatar
ComicBookMama
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:59 am
Location: New England, USA

Re: An old cat and a possible beardie

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:36 pm

Grezgu wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:Doesn't matter how old the cat is, it's still a cat and hardwired as such .

So bringing a lizard into the house is EXTREMELY RISKY (for the lizard) and there is a very high probability the cat will attack and either very seriously injure the lizard or torture it to death given the first opportunity.

The cat must never be allowed near the dragon or it's tank or even in the same room EVER .

Cats are perfectly capable of getting through wire mesh ( as commonly found in USA style lizard tank lids ) with their claws and fangs , and only need a hole big enough to get a front claw through to hook the terrified lizard and drag it out of the tank. This happened to the kid next door's colony of Jacky Dragons , sister's cat snuck into the room , tore a hole in the wire mesh lid , and took 4 of the 5 jacky's out and tortured 3 to death and left one with a broken neck and back (who was boring because it was no longer moving).

And it only takes one scratch or bite from a cat to inflict a festering life threatening very hard to treat systemic infection that invariably ends up killing the injured lizard.

The cat and dragon will NEVER be pals , don't let cat-people tell you otherwise (they are deluding themselves).

Unless you can be 100% sure the rest of your family will be obsessive about keeping the cat out of the room the dragon will be living in (cats are very sneeky and often slip through doors that are being closed without people knowing this has happened), my advise is wait til the cat is no longer in the picture.

Long and the short of it - IT'S NOT WORTH THE RISK.


I understand your concern fully, but I feel like you didnt fully read my post and just reposted this from somewhere... I have small birds and a snake in my house. Shes never attacked either of them, and they are both prey.



We've had cats in the past and my observation is a cat is more likely to fear snakes than not , mind you the confrontations between cats and snakes I've seen involved death adders, taipans , brown snakes and black snakes who can kill a cat with one bite , and very large wild pythons who will see a cat as their next meal. Cat spotted snake , hissed and headed for the hills.

Birds simply fly off if a cat gets near.

Your dragon wont be able to fly off and will be defenceless against a cat.
It's cruelty to expose a pet lizard to such a risk. .
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 12174
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Re: An old cat and a possible beardie

Postby HippieLizards » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:21 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:Doesn't matter how old the cat is, it's still a cat and hardwired as such .

So bringing a lizard into the house is EXTREMELY RISKY (for the lizard) and there is a very high probability the cat will attack and either very seriously injure the lizard or torture it to death given the first opportunity.

The cat must never be allowed near the dragon or it's tank or even in the same room EVER .

Cats are perfectly capable of getting through wire mesh ( as commonly found in USA style lizard tank lids ) with their claws and fangs , and only need a hole big enough to get a front claw through to hook the terrified lizard and drag it out of the tank. This happened to the kid next door's colony of Jacky Dragons , sister's cat snuck into the room , tore a hole in the wire mesh lid , and took 4 of the 5 jacky's out and tortured 3 to death and left one with a broken neck and back (who was boring because it was no longer moving).

And it only takes one scratch or bite from a cat to inflict a festering life threatening very hard to treat systemic infection that invariably ends up killing the injured lizard.

The cat and dragon will NEVER be pals , don't let cat-people tell you otherwise (they are deluding themselves).

Unless you can be 100% sure the rest of your family will be obsessive about keeping the cat out of the room the dragon will be living in (cats are very sneeky and often slip through doors that are being closed without people knowing this has happened), my advise is wait til the cat is no longer in the picture.

Long and the short of it - IT'S NOT WORTH THE RISK.
Personally, I disagree. Like the OP said they wouldn't let the cat near it or it's tank. And it's not like they're just going to mindlessly wave their dragon around their cat. Plus it depends on the cat as well, Not all are vicious monsters. You just need to be smart and cautious when having cats.

They could simply cat-proof their enclosure, which you've made graphics and illustrations on how to do that.

Honestly I'd say it'd be fine to get a Beardie. As long as you take the right precautions and not let the cat near the dragon you should be fine. I have a cat, a huge Maine coon mix, she's indoor/outdoor. She isn't allowed near the dragons, but she is occasionally allowed in my room when I have a close eye on her. Whenever she's in my room she never took any interest in my reptiles. And if She did, she'd be too lazy to take any action.
My laundry basket and carpet however, that was a different story, as she immediately and viciously slept in it like the ferocious tiger she is.

So no, you do not have to wait for your cat to pass on to get a Beardie (which I'm sorry to hear that your cat is on its last years, my grandparents cat is 17 and slowing down unfortunately too :( ).

You just need to be smart about it and be careful, and you shouldn't have a problem. But just don't let your Beardie roam around near your cat. Otherwise you should be fine.
Slave and Personal janitor to Five Beardies, one Crested gecko, one leopard gecko, three Betta fish, a Cat, a Ball python, and a community fish tank. (R.I.P my precious Thor, Cisco, & Ruby. You three will always be in our hearts).
User avatar
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 1723
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 am
Location: South of Neptune, Hidden away in my magical dragon lair.

Re: An old cat and a possible beardie

Postby DragonPete » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:09 pm

HippieLizards wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:Doesn't matter how old the cat is, it's still a cat and hardwired as such .

So bringing a lizard into the house is EXTREMELY RISKY (for the lizard) and there is a very high probability the cat will attack and either very seriously injure the lizard or torture it to death given the first opportunity.

The cat must never be allowed near the dragon or it's tank or even in the same room EVER .

Cats are perfectly capable of getting through wire mesh ( as commonly found in USA style lizard tank lids ) with their claws and fangs , and only need a hole big enough to get a front claw through to hook the terrified lizard and drag it out of the tank. This happened to the kid next door's colony of Jacky Dragons , sister's cat snuck into the room , tore a hole in the wire mesh lid , and took 4 of the 5 jacky's out and tortured 3 to death and left one with a broken neck and back (who was boring because it was no longer moving).

And it only takes one scratch or bite from a cat to inflict a festering life threatening very hard to treat systemic infection that invariably ends up killing the injured lizard.

The cat and dragon will NEVER be pals , don't let cat-people tell you otherwise (they are deluding themselves).

Unless you can be 100% sure the rest of your family will be obsessive about keeping the cat out of the room the dragon will be living in (cats are very sneeky and often slip through doors that are being closed without people knowing this has happened), my advise is wait til the cat is no longer in the picture.

Long and the short of it - IT'S NOT WORTH THE RISK.
Personally, I disagree. Like the OP said they wouldn't let the cat near it or it's tank. And it's not like they're just going to mindlessly wave their dragon around their cat. Plus it depends on the cat as well, Not all are vicious monsters. You just need to be smart and cautious when having cats.

They could simply cat-proof their enclosure, which you've made graphics and illustrations on how to do that.

Honestly I'd say it'd be fine to get a Beardie. As long as you take the right precautions and not let the cat near the dragon you should be fine. I have a cat, a huge Maine coon mix, she's indoor/outdoor. She isn't allowed near the dragons, but she is occasionally allowed in my room when I have a close eye on her. Whenever she's in my room she never took any interest in my reptiles. And if She did, she'd be too lazy to take any action.
My laundry basket and carpet however, that was a different story, as she immediately and viciously slept in it like the ferocious tiger she is.

So no, you do not have to wait for your cat to pass on to get a Beardie (which I'm sorry to hear that your cat is on its last years, my grandparents cat is 17 and slowing down unfortunately too :( ).

You just need to be smart about it and be careful, and you shouldn't have a problem. But just don't let your Beardie roam around near your cat. Otherwise you should be fine.


Have to agree w/Hippie. I have 4 cats, 3 adults 2-13 yrs and a 6 month old kitten. After the first week, they have had no interest in Petey. The old girl will sleep on the bar by the tank. Petey has a steel mesh, not screen, top and although a cat jumped up on it a couple times early on, there is no way they can get in there and they really couldn't care less. I'm sure the OP has no intention of having their Dragon on the floor with the cat to start with. That would be nuts no matter how docile the cat. I'd like to think that most peeps are smarter than that. I know! Some aren't. But most that have sense enough to post and question certainly are smart enough to know better but want opinions. Granted, this is just my personal opinion. I feel everything would be fine, just don't allow them to get near each other without the tank being between them.
As a last note, my kitten is an orange tabby stripe and Petey likes to watch him. No BB, no hissing or aggression, just watch. Follows him around the tank. 😆
Sorry about the lengthy post.

-Dee
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 1386
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:59 am
Location: NC USA

Re: An old cat and a possible beardie

Postby HippieLizards » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:39 pm

DragonPete wrote:As a last note, my kitten is an orange tabby stripe and Petey likes to watch him. No BB, no hissing or aggression, just watch. Follows him around the tank. 😆
Sorry about the lengthy post.

-Dee

Aww! How cute, I was keeping a small black kitten for a week a few months ago, and she stayed in my room and all the dragons were really fascinated by her. All she'd do was run laps around my room and not care for the beardies but the beardies would just calmly watch her all day looking all curious. It was cute.

But when my 6 year old brown light brown, black white and tan fluffball of a Maine coon mix is in my room, the dragons don't seem to care, as all she does is sleep lol.
Slave and Personal janitor to Five Beardies, one Crested gecko, one leopard gecko, three Betta fish, a Cat, a Ball python, and a community fish tank. (R.I.P my precious Thor, Cisco, & Ruby. You three will always be in our hearts).
User avatar
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 1723
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 am
Location: South of Neptune, Hidden away in my magical dragon lair.
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users