A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: CandyCane passed away :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I'm looking into and thoroughly researching bearded dragons to see if one would be a good fit for my family. My son has been telling me for weeks that Santa is probably bringing him a snake or a lizard and I should prepare myself, so that's what I'm doing. I have 8 year old twins, and a bearded dragon would be their one big gift from Santa Claus. They would not be the primary caretakers for obvious reasons, so I'm also researching what level of care they need, etc. I've learned they need quite a bit when they're younger, and I'm also trying to figure out if this is financially feasible for my family as well. I'm posting mainly because I have a question about habitat. I've been looking at different potential terrariums and I found one called the zen habitat. It's 4 feet long by 2 feet wide, so plenty of room. I'm just wondering if any bearded dragon owners on here have any first hand experience with these enclosures? Also, hoping to find a good breeder in Louisiana that will have some fun morphs, hopefully the bright yellow colors. I wouldn't mind having one shipped, but it would be easiest for us to pick up on Christmas Eve from someone local if that's at all possible. I have a veterinarian (for my dog) that also sees bearded dragons so that's in order. Anyway, just saying hello and introducing myself because I'll probably have lots of questions lol. Thanks!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Question. I noticed both of the baby dragons are under shed right now. Should I worry about bathing them? And what should the temp be for a baby?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would not bathe them yet -- too much stress- I would mist them sitting under their basking bulbs--- a couple times a day-- water should be warm - their temps should be around 105-110--
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2nqicrcq said:
I would not bathe them yet -- too much stress- I would mist them sitting under their basking bulbs--- a couple times a day-- water should be warm - their temps should be around 105-110--
Karrie

Ok perfect. CandyCane has opened up and is munching on roaches whenever I offer them. Elliot is at the top of the cork in the enclosure and seemed more stressed when I tried to offer him a roach on a tong so I backed out. I will prob try putting him in a Tupperware tomorrow with some dusted roaches and let him eat by himself. He’s not under the basking light is that ok? I’m assuming if he needed to be under it he would be? CandyCane is front and center under the basking light.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Keep an eye on him-- are your basking and UVB next to one another? Post a pic of their tanks now I was looking for one the way you have it set up now--
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
82318462_10104306895334500_6646908906461200384_n.jpg

82282816_10104306895319530_1019284688113500160_n.jpg

This is Elliot just hanging out. He’s been there for a while just hanging out. It’s about 85 where he is since it’s on the cool side. To the right is the basking bulb and the uvb is to the center and right. I might have to get a higher basking spot but it’s hard to say. In some spots it is 105-108 on the thicker log and gets cooler more toward the hammock.

Edited to add that he has eaten a roach. I just don’t want to stress him out further by being constantly in his space.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I love the names your kids have picked out - particularly Elliott, since I've got a Disney dragon name, too! They're both completely adorable! :D

Take it slow and easy the first few days... I'd keep handling to a minimum while they settle in, but hand feeding (or tweezers feeding) is a good plan, along with regular tank cleanup and putting food in, that sort of thing. Rushing into holding them could scare them, so focus on things that show them that hands are just part of the environment and bring Good Things to Dragons!

And definitely keep us posted!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ComicBookMama":1frw8jsg said:
I love the names your kids have picked out - particularly Elliott, since I've got a Disney dragon name, too! They're both completely adorable! :D

Take it slow and easy the first few days... I'd keep handling to a minimum while they settle in, but hand feeding (or tweezers feeding) is a good plan, along with regular tank cleanup and putting food in, that sort of thing. Rushing into holding them could scare them, so focus on things that show them that hands are just part of the environment and bring Good Things to Dragons!

And definitely keep us posted!
Thanks I’ve definitely had to explain to my kids that we can’t handle them right away (which led to tears in one and understanding in the other lol). I’ve been using the tweezers mostly because the dubias gross me out lol. I’ll keep trying tomorrow and fix their salad in the am with some dubias and see if Elliot comes down to eat.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Getting some BSFL to add to the top of the salads will get them interested in eating their greens you can order from here and it is another great staple feeder -- https://symtonbsf.com/ order large - these do not need to be dusted w/ calcium and feed as many as you want- but I would put them on top of the salads first thing in the morning - let them see you add them it will entice them to their bowls - you can also use butter worms as well or 1-3 super worms medium size - they are great attention getters --- you want them eating their salads now --- I would feed the dubias like an hr or hr and half later - and you can add them to those bowls as well -
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1wie0dqh said:
Getting some BSFL to add to the top of the salads will get them interested in eating their greens you can order from here and it is another great staple feeder -- https://symtonbsf.com/ order large - these do not need to be dusted w/ calcium and feed as many as you want- but I would put them on top of the salads first thing in the morning - let them see you add them it will entice them to their bowls - you can also use butter worms as well or 1-3 super worms medium size - they are great attention getters --- you want them eating their salads now --- I would feed the dubias like an hr or hr and half later - and you can add them to those bowls as well -
Karrie

Ordering now. The larges aren't too...large? They definitely seem to notice the squirming from farther away than I expected lol. I dropped a roach and couldn't find it and sure enough CandyCane found it a few minutes later. I could see when she noticed it too her head tilted and she went for it. I have turnip greens and carrots to grate for salads tomorrow morning, and tomorrow the roaches will have to do temporarily until the BSFL comes in.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
the BSFL will be fine --- I fed Blaze the large and he was really tiny when I got him -- its the super worms but I managed to find small ones and he could eat those for a few weeks then he graduated to mediums - but you can order worms for them as well - I give my two a variety of them well Blaze Hiccup is so finicky its ridiculous --- butter worms are good they are good and soft--- horn worms you haft to get small if you can - lately dubiaroaches has been sending me little ones -- so I feed some to Blaze and let some grow out bigger for Hiccup -- oh also you can get silk worms -- they are good and soft and a good staple feeder as well but they are spendy------------- I also just ordered some prickly pear off of Amazon - I am going to try that in the salads -
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3331o9qw said:
the BSFL will be fine --- I fed Blaze the large and he was really tiny when I got him -- its the super worms but I managed to find small ones and he could eat those for a few weeks then he graduated to mediums - but you can order worms for them as well - I give my two a variety of them well Blaze Hiccup is so finicky its ridiculous --- butter worms are good they are good and soft--- horn worms you haft to get small if you can - lately dubiaroaches has been sending me little ones -- so I feed some to Blaze and let some grow out bigger for Hiccup -- oh also you can get silk worms -- they are good and soft and a good staple feeder as well but they are spendy------------- I also just ordered some prickly pear off of Amazon - I am going to try that in the salads -
Karrie

Is there a limit to how much fruit they can have because of the sugar? I ordered some BSFL. They're cheaper than dubias which surprises me, and the dubias gross me out a lot more than I expected so might as well go full gross and get the fly larva lol. I did try to feed Elliot again. He wasn't as jumpy as last time, but still not interested. I did email the breeder just to see what advice he had. He did say he is in shed which can reduce appetite and that relocation stress happens and to just keep at it. I'm glad Elliot is for my more patient child. They will probably get along great. Their personalities are coincidentally suitable for each one of my kids lol.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Fruit is only offered occasionally because of the sugar-- especially blueberries they are high in sugar - more for a treat than anything - I usually feed honey crisp apples when I do feed them -- you will get used to the dubias --- I wasnt hot on roaches either but now I would have them any day over crickets --- they stink so bad --- and the chirping was terrible -- the BSFL can sit on your counter for a couple of weeks before turning to flys -- and if they do feed them to the dragons -- yes shed does cause them to loose some appetite as well so they are getting double wammy on the stress thing
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2d0qc1ly said:
Fruit is only offered occasionally because of the sugar-- especially blueberries they are high in sugar - more for a treat than anything - I usually feed honey crisp apples when I do feed them -- you will get used to the dubias --- I wasnt hot on roaches either but now I would have them any day over crickets --- they stink so bad --- and the chirping was terrible -- the BSFL can sit on your counter for a couple of weeks before turning to flys -- and if they do feed them to the dragons -- yes shed does cause them to loose some appetite as well so they are getting double wammy on the stress thing
Karrie
I read a review about rinsing the larva? Do I have to do that? I'm sure I'll get used to all of this, and I felt so prepared with their enclosures and then they got here and I kind of froze lol. I knew they were only going to be 7-8 inches but man, it's tiny! Especially compared to how big they do get. Thanks so much for the information I feel a lot more at ease now. And I totally avoided the crickets because of information on them. The noise, the smell, the potential for infestation lol. So dubias for now and I have the BSFL on the way. I'm fairly sure my local pet store had some small horn worms. For the horn worms do I need to pay attention to the "food no bigger than the space between their eyes" rule since they're soft? Also how do you keep your BSFL?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Keep the BSFL on the counter -- thats it - and yes you can rinse them off I do - horn worms you dont want to feed a giant one to your babies and believe me they get huge - they are soft its just that they do get to a point of being too big -- you can keep them in a cool place to keep them from growing so fast dont order a big amount I dont - I usually order 12 at most -- and you can feed one per day to each dragon -- so that would be like a weeks worth -
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom