(Gecko related but please I need help.) Mites?!?!

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

(Gecko related but please I need help.) Mites?!?!

Postby HippieLizards » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:18 am

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
I went to go clean out my crested gecko's enclosure but when I got to the substrate I noticed that moving around on the Indian almond leaf topping, was a bunch of tiny white little insect things, are these mites??? What in the heck am I going to do? How am I going to get rid of them? Are they bad? Could they infect my other reptiles? How do I know if my Gecko has them like in her or anything?

I've never heard of this happening. Gizmo is in a separate Temporary holding tank until I can get this sorted out, I'm letting the tank dry out right now because the substrate was very wet.

The substrate has 3 layers. On the top is indian almond leaves to help prevent Gizmo from trying to eat her substrate. The middle layer is a half bag of FrogDaddy's bioactive/naturalistic Frog and Gecko substrate, along with a whole bag of hydro balls at the very bottom.

So really, what should I do? Are they bad? Should I worry? I'm really freaked out about this.
Slave to Five Beardies, one Crested gecko, one leopard gecko, three Betta fish, a Cat, and a community fish tank. . (R.I.P my precious Thor, Cisco, & Ruby. You three will always be in our hearts).
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

Location: South of Neptune, Hidden away in my magical dragon lair.
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: (Gecko related but please I need help.) Mites?!?!

Postby CooperDragon » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:20 pm

Possibly grain mites? If so, they aren't harmful just really annoying. They thrive in humid environments so the best way I've found to get rid of them is to run a dehumidifier and dry the air out at least for a while.
CooperDragon

Postby HippieLizards » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:10 pm

Those May Be it, so they aren't the harmful type of mites? And they won't infect or attack my other herps? I've just been letting Gizmo's tank air out, but that hasn't seemed to work.

There's still like hundreds of them, and to be honest, it may be silly, but I can handle most types of bugs... But these micro ones in such a large amount, they freak me out. :shock:

Will Gizmo be okay still in just her small plastic temporary tank for the time that I'm dealing with these bugs? She's mostly just been hiding the whole time.
Slave to Five Beardies, one Crested gecko, one leopard gecko, three Betta fish, a Cat, and a community fish tank. . (R.I.P my precious Thor, Cisco, & Ruby. You three will always be in our hearts).
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:10 pm

I can't be sure they are grain mites, but if they are, then they don't pose a threat. They are just kind of a pain to get rid of. They are very small and tend to be in such high numbers it looks like moving sand. I've had them on my cricket and roach bins before (from contaminated grain food brought in) and the only thing that made them go away was decreasing humidity as I mentioned earlier.
CooperDragon

Postby HippieLizards » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:36 pm

Alright, Thank you. I hope it's just that and nothing more serious. :)
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures