Preferred Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
Is it normal for bearded dragons to prefer temperatures in the 90s as opposed to 100-110? I've found that since going back in her new tank she has been using the spots around 90-95F rather than 100-110F (measured via temp gun and thermometer).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They will bask where they are most comfortable -- mine basks in different spots all the time - that is why its nice to give them a gradient of temps
Karrie

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I just find it odd that she's always going 10F below everyone's recommendation. Id drop the temp for main spots to her preferred temperatures but the next step down in bulb would likely fall too far.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Deabrua":1vqut57l said:
I just find it odd that she's always going 10F below everyone's recommendation. Id drop the temp for main spots to her preferred temperatures but the next step down in bulb would likely fall too far.

Take her lead. She knows the temperature she needs and will seat it out .

IMO temperatures recommended by some here ( up around 110 degrees F ) are excessive to the point of being dangerous ( especially in small enclosures were the dragon may not be able to find a temperature close to it's preferred operating body temperature ) .

This is good guide to follow :
temperature-response-of-p.png

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
We give guidelines to provide guidance as to what you should do when you are new and dont know what to do :)
However, I always recommend learning your dragon and doing what is best for your specific dragon.

The guidelines we give here work well for most cases. And as time goes on, many dragons like slightly cooler temps as they get older.

I had an adult that was super picky with her basking spot temp. She wouldnt bask at all if her favorite spot wasnt 96-98 exactly. She wouldnt even pick a spot further away, she just wouldn't bask.

And I also have adults that like to bask around 100, but on occasion do go to their 105 spots.

Imo, it's best firstly to provide a gradient, so the dragon can pick. Start off too low and your dragon doesnt get a choice. Then, learn your dragon.

Take the two examples I gave you.
I learned my dragon wouldnt even bask if temps were above a certain point, so i adjusted my husbandry to fit her wants.
In the other example, my dragon was perfectly fine with areas that were hotter than he typically liked because he had a gradient with which he could pick from. And like mentioned he did occasionally make use of those hotter temps.

For what it's worth, the chart posted is from the 70s or 80s, and isnt even about bearded dragons. Not to mention it's also been altered, and is not even the original chart from the study. I wish it would stop being posted as it's not really relevant when newer studies on actual bearded dragons have shown that they will bask at higher temps than that and achieve higher INTERNAL body temperatures than that.

-Brandon

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
If a GE 60W halogen gives me 110F, but the next step down (I believe its like 38W) drops temp too far, any suggestion as to what bulb to try? Would have to be a different type of bulb.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Deabrua":3uxv7dur said:
If a GE 60W halogen gives me 110F, but the next step down (I believe its like 38W) drops temp too far, any suggestion as to what bulb to try? Would have to be a different type of bulb.

Cheapest approach is to invest in a rheostat ( inline lamp dimmer ie this a fancy version : https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Universal-In-Line-Dimmer-Switch/p/36-6440 ) , keep the GE 60W halogen and simply dial down the globe output til you get the desired temperature at the basking spot.
Alternatively invest a bit more and buy a dimming thermostat with a remote probe.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
claudiusx":2zu6b5v9 said:
We give guidelines to provide guidance as to what you should do when you are new and dont know what to do :)
However, I always recommend learning your dragon and doing what is best for your specific dragon.

edited ...

For what it's worth, the chart posted is from the 70s or 80s, and isnt even about bearded dragons. Not to mention it's also been altered, and is not even the original chart from the study. I wish it would stop being posted as it's not really relevant when newer studies on actual bearded dragons have shown that they will bask at higher temps than that and achieve higher INTERNAL body temperatures than that.

-Brandon

I remember that and every post that explained how you were cherry picking , and it actually showed higher temperatures were stressors to the very small group of dragons involved was deleted. It was a waste of time .

I'll stick to guidance given by REAL experts such as Swan, Brown, Cogger etc who are all respected herpetogists / zoologists .

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Using a dimmer is a good way to fine tune the temps as needed. Adjusting the height of the bulb also helps. I've found that they tend to have different preferences (Between dragons and at different times/moods themselves). I just observe for a while to find what they are using and what they seem to be avoiding. In time you can find their general preferences and the exact ranges vary a bit. That's why we give a general guideline to start with usually in the 100-110 range somewhere and down to 75-85ish. That's more just a general guide to get started with and go from there. My dragon prefers about 90-103 to bask depending on his mood at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom