Mazarine's Growth Log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well its been an interesting couple days getting used to each other I think :lol: The early morning wakeups from her lights turning on weren't too bad, but the family crowding in to look at her at around 4:30am (when her lights went on) was a killer :roll:

She's a pretty placid girl honestly, though she loves exploring things around her. Recently she got a (supervised) exploration mission on the top of my bed.
full

full

Appetite seems decent - she always eats something at least in the morning and night - generally we'll get 7-15 bugs into her a day, though she always eats some greens from her bowl throughout the day as well. This morning, she managed to snarf down a full dozen of the little buggers :lol:

She's definately starting to shed all over, and seems to appreciate the back rubs and bath water running over the itchy bits.
full

Weighed her yesterday, and she's a petite lady, at around 9g currently. That lets her get up to a lot of mischief, either spider-lizarding up the background, or climbing onto the front door to peek out at me.
full

All in all, it's been a blessing though, love the little goober.

Edit: one last thing, something I'd like some advice on maybe. She's got a little scratch or something on her tail (about a third of the way from the end) - I've put some f10 ointment on - that all I should do there?. Also visible right at the very end is a little ring on the end of her tail - any thoughts on what it might be?(Perhaps a scar from a sibling nipping it? It's not bloody at all.) Sorry if the photo isn't the best, only have my phone as a camera.
full

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Make the most of her while she's little , they grow fast.

Expecially good when the hatchling is very "people orientated" ===> breeder will have put a bit of effort into hand rearing her and handling her so she's not learnt to fear people.
My Cleo has always been much like that , in fact all the female bearded dragons I've had over the years have been real snugglers .

9g makes her likely 4 to 6 weeks old. She's a really nice looking leatherback .

Check out
https://biosupplies.net.au/ (SYDNEY) for your for crickets, BSFL ( come in a tub not a lot of soil mixed with them )
https://www.livefoods.com.au/ (QLD) for crickets , BSFL , silkworms
https://frogs.org.au/live-foods/ ( MELBOURNE) for smaller crickets ( shipping in a mailer tube ),Blowfly Gents .
GUMTREE is a good place to find silkworms of all sizes and fresh mulberry leaves (in bulk ie bags of 50 to 100 leaves)
Looking forward to seeing lots of updates on how .

I had a curser shaped like a cockroach once and it was hilarious watching a hatchling dragon trying to catch and eat it as it moved about the screen .

F10 Ointment is good stuff. It'll keep it clean and stop any infection ( on the cut/scratch on tail ) , probably a nip from a sibling before you got her. I'd just keep an eye on the scratch , should heal up before her next shed or between the next two sheds.

Careful on the tank temperatures with the hot / heat wave weather we're seeing on the east coast and hinterland and in big towns. Better off turning off the basking globe and running only the 10% to 12% UVB source while it's HOT.
Little hatchlings don't have the same tolerance to overheating that adult dragons have. Try to keep the max tank temperature under 40 degC.

If you have access to EXCEL , very easy to set up a growth , feeding, pooing and behavior/development log as a spreadsheet.

Deeth

Original Poster
Thanks KoN, yeah I've been on it with these temperatures :( . I've been turning off the basking light to give the tank a chance to cool a fair few times today yeah.

Awesome idea with the excel, I'd been doing that with pen and paper, but spreadsheets a much better idea. Little Mazzie is a smart cookie though, I got her to finally go in the bath tub, and later today when she needed to go a second time, she actually did the "glass dance"to get out of her tank :lol: Happily she waited until I put her in a plastic tub to go.

I'd been thinking about getting some silkworms actually, we have a couple mulberry trees at home, so food wouldn't be an issue at all. Thanks for the shop links, for the BSFL especially.

Happily at this stage it looks like she doesn't mind her veggies :D

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Deeth":8761ohw7 said:
Thanks KoN, yeah I've been on it with these temperatures :( . I've been turning off the basking light to give the tank a chance to cool a fair few times today yeah.

Awesome idea with the excel, I'd been doing that with pen and paper, but spreadsheets a much better idea. Little Mazzie is a smart cookie though, I got her to finally go in the bath tub, and later today when she needed to go a second time, she actually did the "glass dance"to get out of her tank :lol: Happily she waited until I put her in a plastic tub to go.

I'd been thinking about getting some silkworms actually, we have a couple mulberry trees at home, so food wouldn't be an issue at all. Thanks for the shop links, for the BSFL especially.

Happily at this stage it looks like she doesn't mind her veggies :D

My gang all always start off on a mixed diet of
> small silkworms ( I "farm" my own) , about 2cm long would be perfect for your hatchling , my gang loved the moths too.
> large BSLF and their flies
> blowfly gents and the moths
> 26 day old ( about 1/4 size == Piscus small ) crickets and 1/3 size crickets.
> shredded greens and grated carrot offered daily, if not eaten the greens go the crickets to gutload them.

Livefoods will ship the silkworms in a plastic tub , but you need to request this - I found on those odd occasion when I was running low on home grown silkworms that the survival of silkworms shipping on egg boxed in a calico bag wasn't good
They also ship the BSFL in a calico bag with a cup full of damp soil - I separate the BSFL from the soil and keep them in an oblong ex-cricket tub and just line it with a scott-towel. My BSLF last about month that way before they are all pupating and turning in flies.
>

Deeth

Original Poster
Well, she's definitely getting ready to shed. After an enormous bug intake for her (about 24 bugs over the two feedings rather than the usual 7-15 she's generally finished at, she seems to now be in full white mode. Apart from her chin which shedded off extremely quickly. Still roughly 9g, though I also got her length today, around 150mm. Today she polished off 8 bugs this morning, but didn't seem interested in the bugs this afternoon, though it wasn't until after her morning feed that her scales started to all jump on the shedding bandwagon.

full

full

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Deeth":27gjofxf said:
Well, she's definitely getting ready to shed. After an enormous bug intake for her (about 24 bugs over the two feedings rather than the usual 7-15 she's generally finished at, she seems to now be in full white mode. Apart from her chin which shedded off extremely quickly. Still roughly 9g, though I also got her length today, around 150mm. Today she polished off 8 bugs this morning, but didn't seem interested in the bugs this afternoon, though it wasn't until after her morning feed that her scales started to all jump on the shedding bandwagon.

full

full

Skin explosion pending …. love how explosive hatchling sheds look …. toss a few bits of gumtree bark and pointy looking twigs in , she'll love them to crawl over , through and under when in shed.

Deeth

Original Poster
Well, the explosion happened :lol: Noticed when took her out for breakfast, the skin had started separating from the shed, and when she got out of her shower, a lot had shifted from the warm water. She's been running around like a little goof all day since, rubbing against basically everything she can to remove the skin. She's also now 1g heavier XD. Small change, but big for a little lizard out exploring the world one lick at a time.
full

full

full

Deeth

Original Poster
Well, it seems as soon as one part of her body clears up the shedding, another part starts up. Poor little lady looks like she has white socks on :lol:

Glad to let you know the fresh skin was free from that cut or scrape on her tail, so no need for the F10 rubs anymore.

She's now roughly a third heavier now then when I got her, her last weighin being around 12g, and now 165mm or so. Eating like a trooper, and even trying new things. Yesterday finally had success in feeding a small blueberry through pretending it was moving, and today managed to get some tiny diced carrot into her.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Be thankful she's a leatherback (reduced spikey scales) , normal scaled dragons can have problems getting the old skin off their beard, crown and side fringe spikes.

At her age it'll feel like she's in nearly constant shed. In a few months the interval between sheds becomes longer and starts becoming more piecemeal ( areas in shed at one time ).

Deeth

Original Poster
Well, the vet visit went great, she's perfectly healthy, though he did give me some silver sulfidiazene for the spot on her back, which he is pretty sure is healing skin from a scrape, pre arriving here - I know it was on her when she first arrived from the breeder.
full

No signs of parasites happily, and she was given an all clear for other issues she could have had, so pretty happy.

She's just now fully finished her second shed, though you were right KoN, in that I think her nose is starting to get into shedding mode again already :lol:

Turns out she loves pineapple btw :lol: couple licks and then nommed three pieces this morning.

Now 14g, and roughly 18cm long.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's some good growth!

How is the ointment working? I did think her back looked funny, looked like a possible burn to me. But hopefully it clears up :)

I've never tried giving pineapple before. Glad she liked it :)

-Brandon

Deeth

Original Poster
Yeah, I'm kinda agreeing with you regarding it being a light burn. Been applying the ointment daily, and... I do think there's at least some improvement.
full

She's hit 18g now, which means she's doubled her weight since we got her now. Funniest quirk we've noticed is she doesn't like eating salad with an audience - she'll either freeze up, or run back up to her usual perch :lol: Her back and tail are back in shed again now, though its off center this time on her back.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You are doing good as shown by her growth.

At her age if she even touches the salad it's a bonus . I'd not be overly concerned about it. What salad is left at the end of the day can be used to gut load her crickets / roaches / locusts , this way she will get the vitamins in disguise and you'll have much more nutritious insects to feed to her.

What I did with my hatchlings is I left the salad in the rearing tub overnight, this way any rogue crickets were drawn out and nibbled on the greens instead of the hatchlings , my hatchlings soon discovered the crickets were coming out and raiding the food dish and they'd be gobbling down the crickets as they arrived ( even a couple hours after "lights" out.

I have a bonding ritual that I like to do with my hatchlings is the first few crickets each day are given by hand , this way they learn to trust me and we both bond. I'd do this daily while spot cleaning and replacing any soiled absorbant paper towels , and removing the salad left from the previous day.
In my observation lizards like a predictable routine , so try to stick to a regular routine with feeding and bonding sessions.

Deeth

Original Poster
Been a while, and little one isn't quite so little anymore. She's now about 22cm long, and 28g. Powering through any bugs i put in front of her, though we've noticed she turns her nose up at any more roaches if you feed her a silkworm before the end :lol: Doesn't like going back to sausages after wagyu beef or something like that XD

The her backs mostly finished shedding now, and some good news - that spot on her back shedded some as well, and I'm pretty sure there's light scales there, so looks like its healing up, which is awesome.

Her cave now has a fleece lining to hopefully stop her from crawling into the little opening along the front, which makes it a pain to get her out of - plus side is she's pretty darn comfy in there now I think, since she's slept in there every nice since.
full

Some other photos I've taken since:
full

full

full

full

full

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That blanket cave picture is so cute! Mazarine has been growing quite well! :D

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom