New Beardy Mama - substrate questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RollinYollin

Hi all, I've just picked up the tank and equipment for my new Beardy baby, named Mushu, who will be coming home on Tuesday. I've read a lot about different substrates and what works and what doesn't. I think I've mostly settled on doing slate tiles but would love to hear some other opinions from experieneced owners. I've had snakes before, but this is my first Bearded and I want to make sure he's getting the best care he can possibly get. Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the site! How exciting, I bet you can't wait for your dragon to get here :)

Did you order Mushu or are you picking him up from a shop?

I user normal ceramic tiles in my tanks, but slate is a good choice too :)

-Brandon

RollinYollin

Original Poster
Hey Brandon, thanks for the reply. I got him at a local reptile shop near me that only deals in snakes and lizards. Wasn't comfortable getting him at Petco or the like. I'll be picking him up.

I hear the tiles are the way to go to avoid impaction.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Tiles are great-- easy to clean - I put a thick shop paper towel under mine to catch watery urate- do not glue or grout the tile lay them in loose so you can pull them to clean- make sure you get a textured slated tile no smooth- ingot mine from home depot- looks like this
97951-666388767.jpg
Cost was $13 for a 4x2x2 tank
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Just make sure if you go w/ tile to have it cut w/ a tile cutter- you don't want jagged edges and cut it to size of tank--- and get ceramic and nothing real course
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom