Meet Luna our new veiled chameleon!Need help with heat info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
107026-7077255128.jpg
Hello,
This is Luna a veiled chameleon I just adopted from petco she seems healthy and very active loving to climb she was hangi
107026-7982851271.jpg
ng from the roof when we saw her at pet store and I originally went to adopt a beardie but they did not have any left (you know cause beardies are so awesome everyone wants one lol) but as soon as I laid eyes on this little one and then they let me hold her i knew this is the one! I do have a few concerns though like she has a few dry cracks on her sides and a little left over dry skin
107026-3911274723.jpg
from shedding I would assume. Please let me know if you guys see anything else that should be of concern. I also bought a brand new mesh screened in terrarium kit specifically for chameleons including veiled but I want to make sure it came with proper light bulbs as well. It came with mini combo deep dome lamp fixture 13 W Reptisun 5.0 UVB mini compact fluorescent bulb and a 60 W daylight blue bulb will that be enough and should I turn them both off at night I feel like I shouldn't because that's the only heat shell have unless I put in a heating pad underneath but it's all mesh screen so it wouldn't hold any heat in which concerns me for night time so should I put pad under carpet?

KmKrizzle89

Original Poster
So I did go out and get her a purple night bulb which gives off a little heat and advertised as infrared hoping that's enough for night time heat granted everything I've read on them says as long as it does not go below 50F at night then they'll be fine that they prefer it dark with little to no light and on the cooler side I appreciate any info with any tips for her I know shes not a beardie but shes still adorable and I'm sure others on here may have some experience with them and I genuinely appreciate any help and info Thanks!..

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I raised many of these guys in the past. Good to hear that she seems healthy, they are not hard to care for but I'll give you a few tips. Get rid of all colored lights and no night light is needed at all. If your house stays above 55 at night she'll be fine. Get a regular store bought halogen bub for heat like these.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29979/full

Depending on how cool your house is a 75 watt should be fine, even a 60 if your house stays over 70F in daytime. Get a Reptisun 10.0 longtube for uvb, although many people use the 5.0 but not a compact. You want the long tube for good uvb coverage.. Set up her plants + vines so that she can get no more than 10 " from the lights. Allow for her body height when determining how high to set the plants, branches + climbing areas. Next, get her a tall umbrella plant, hibiscus or swiss cheese plant. Real plants are always better than fake and many chams. will eat the leaves. Most of those can be bought at Walmart along with the bulbs I showed you. Dust her food very lightly twice a week, and down to once a week at most once she's near adult size. They are susceptible to toxicity from vit.D3 + other vits. A good multivitamin can also be used very lightly once a week now + less as she gets older. BTW, are you sure it's a female ? Can you post a clear shot of her back foot, that's the 100 % sure way to tell. I see what looks like the heel spur that males have but it could be flaking skin.

KmKrizzle89

Original Poster
Thank you for the website I truly appreciate it and yes I normally adopt Beardies but this little one just called out to me and so i figured I would try a more tropical reptile this time around since I also love exotic plants and animals and I had a blast picking out the right safe new plants and moss for her habitat I'll post pics after I put it all together but then yes switch to a chameleon knowledge based site thank you for your help and I'll be back when I do adopt a new beardie again and if anyone needs help with a chameleon send them my way I've learned so much about them now and would be happy to help anyone with basic needs!.. :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, welcome Luna! :D

Cool I love seeing other critters here. Make sure you post more pictures of her. Love looking at reptiles!

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom