Hello! We're new here and looking for some advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! My name is Katey and I have a sweetheart of a beardie named Amber. I got Amber back in April at approximately a couple months old. Recently, my family and friends have been calling her fat and I've been doing research on fat beardies and I've come up inconclusive. The videos and articles I've dug up say that the signs of an overweight dragon are a huge belly, big jowls, big fat pads, and a thick and squishy tail. When I look over Amber, I've noticed she's kinda in the middle. She has a roundish belly, but it doesn't drag on the ground when she walks, her jowls hang down when she's relaxed but look relatively normal. Her fat pads look normal and her tail as a slight squish underneath but besides that is pretty solid. I'm thinking that the main reason to why she's got some squish is to the fact that she's outgrown her tank. She's currently in a 40 gallon breeder that I can't really fit too much decor in. I want to upgrade her to a 48Lx18Dx24H terrarium so she has more room to run around in and I can put more climbing stuff in. Unfortunately, I don't have an exact weight and length on her due to the fact that I lost my tape measure and I don't have a scale. On the plus side, I do have a photo of her next to a Nintendo Switch so hopefully that will give some perspective.

106995-293307039.jpg

106995-4819912203.jpg

106995-9484493713.jpg

106995-5741040748.jpg

106995-6241024178.jpg

106995-3827260425.jpg

Sorry some of the photos are a little blurry. I didn't realize it until I was looking at the preview of this post.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Welcome! The photos are a little blurry but they are okay. I'm no expert but my understanding is that is takes several signs for a dragon to be overweight. Your girl may be on the beginning end for being overly fat. But, for example, sometimes a dragon might have bigger jowls just because that is their shape. I was there not too long ago with my girl being overly fat, diagnosed by my vet. Decreased fatty treat bugs and all bugs overall was the plan my vet thought was best. And I kept feeding leafy greens and vegetables every day

A bigger enclosure is a good plan. Make sure to get a longer UVB light as well. You should also prepare that all your normal lights may need to change to heat up that bigger space. It is worth it in the long run to get a big enclosure for your dragon of course, and it's so fun to fill their bigger home with climbing stuff, hides, hammocks, and anything Beardie friendly

If you don't have a tape measure dollar bills are a quick substitute. Each USA bill is exactly 6 inches long (if you're in the US). The Switch is 9.25 inches long

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She looks great----- I think your doing a good job w/ her --- how long is the UVB fixture ? If its a 24" that is good for the next tank you get - you dont want one the same length as tank -- they need to be able to escape those rays w/ out having to hide from their UVB
Karrie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
She looks like a happy, healthy girl to me. I see very little weight issues here. Being 8 to 9 months old she looks to be on track. She's got good muscle tone as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom