A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: CandyCane passed away :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I'm looking into and thoroughly researching bearded dragons to see if one would be a good fit for my family. My son has been telling me for weeks that Santa is probably bringing him a snake or a lizard and I should prepare myself, so that's what I'm doing. I have 8 year old twins, and a bearded dragon would be their one big gift from Santa Claus. They would not be the primary caretakers for obvious reasons, so I'm also researching what level of care they need, etc. I've learned they need quite a bit when they're younger, and I'm also trying to figure out if this is financially feasible for my family as well. I'm posting mainly because I have a question about habitat. I've been looking at different potential terrariums and I found one called the zen habitat. It's 4 feet long by 2 feet wide, so plenty of room. I'm just wondering if any bearded dragon owners on here have any first hand experience with these enclosures? Also, hoping to find a good breeder in Louisiana that will have some fun morphs, hopefully the bright yellow colors. I wouldn't mind having one shipped, but it would be easiest for us to pick up on Christmas Eve from someone local if that's at all possible. I have a veterinarian (for my dog) that also sees bearded dragons so that's in order. Anyway, just saying hello and introducing myself because I'll probably have lots of questions lol. Thanks!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2eh5u8zf said:
How absolutely freaking awesome! I wish something like this would have happened to me as a kid lol.

-Brandon

Lol it’s been months of planning but it worked out so nice. And my husbands happy too because I noticed the scale of the TV was off with the bearded dragon cages off to the side so I think we need a new one ??‍♀️.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
opaquelace":yma6evgs said:
claudiusx":yma6evgs said:
How absolutely freaking awesome! I wish something like this would have happened to me as a kid lol.

-Brandon

Lol it’s been months of planning but it worked out so nice. And my husbands happy too because I noticed the scale of the TV was off with the bearded dragon cages off to the side so I think we need a new one ??‍♀️.

Sounds like you are going to do well with this new addition, LOL!!!

I wish I had seen the cork background sooner (a bit of envy) I love it.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Merry Christmas! Everything looks great, and the plushies are sooooo cute! Glad everyone is happy... a new TV isn't a bad outcome, either! Can't wait to hear how the kiddos reacted. This thread is epic!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So my husband took the video and I don’t have it yet. We’re not the most excitable people lol so it was a big “what!” And a bunch of “I totally didn’t expect that.” And “I thought you guys said no live animals.” lol. Here’s a picture of it fully lit. Nothing is in place at the moment, but eventually it will have more. Although since I’ve heard baby beardeds poop A LOT we will probably keep the decor fairly minimal at first.
80894460_10104262292399140_2612643342189592576_o.jpg

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Looks even better lit up! So glad your Christmas Day was happy... now we all get to anticipate the arrival of the babies! Yup, they’re going to make a mess, usually right in the basking spot on the hardest to clean furniture item! But you’ll get to anticipate their habits, and it’s not really that bad. Keep us in the loop - we’re loving this tale of “beardie acquisition done right.”

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ComicBookMama":15704bn6 said:
Looks even better lit up! So glad your Christmas Day was happy... now we all get to anticipate the arrival of the babies! Yup, they’re going to make a mess, usually right in the basking spot on the hardest to clean furniture item! But you’ll get to anticipate their habits, and it’s not really that bad. Keep us in the loop - we’re loving this tale of “beardie acquisition done right.”
Lol my husband and I used to to saltwater tanks so this isn’t nearly as bad! And this the kids are going to fully enjoy. We’ve been watching bearded dragon videos on YouTube all day.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So the bearded dragons will be on their way in a little more than a week. Breeder starts shipping again on the 12th of January. I also ordered some roaches from the breeder as well. Here they are! Names will come soon after my kids name them. Expect something ridiculous from my daughter and probably something Harry Potter related from my son lol.
81314786_10104285161110060_604202852306386944_n.jpg

My daughter's bearded dragon. Probable female, translucent witblits. She's so cute. I can't wait to see how they change as they get older.
81492416_10104285161130020_7371794146442346496_n.jpg

My son's bearded dragon. Hypo leatherback, probable male. I did spend a little more than I planned on my daughter's bearded, but it was a "when you know, you know" thing lol. I hope they love their new homes and their new best friends (my kids).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So you went with KPS critters? :)

I was going to go see them today at the reptile super show but something came up and we won't be going.

I too had my eyes on that witblits, i'm glad she's coming to the beardeddragon.org family :)

Excited for you to get them both :)

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":14ofrn02 said:
So you went with KPS critters? :)

I was going to go see them today at the reptile super show but something came up and we won't be going.

I too had my eyes on that witblits, i'm glad she's coming to the beardeddragon.org family :)

Excited for you to get them both :)

-Brandon
I did! It was between KPs Critters, Draggintails, and Carolina Classic Dragons. KPs Critters was just super easy with the website and ordering, and I'd been keeping an eye on their Instagram knowing they'd be posting their stock soon because I had asked. They posted it 2 minutes before I made my way to the website and ordered lol. Now I have a week to plan and get everything ready. Not that it's not all ready now, but I'll be able to prepare myself haha and get a setup for the roaches going. Those witblits are super amazing, and I haven't seen any like them with other breeders I looked at. You should check out their leatherback witblits they have up. She's super stunning. All of their dragons are even their more "ordinary" ones.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yup I follow a lot of the breeders pretty closely. KPS has been very impressive with the dragons they have been putting out. Like you, i've been blown away by their witblits. They are producing the highest color wit's out there right now. Even Josh D hasn't produced any like they have, which is saying something in my book.

Dragintails is also great, they produce some very nice dragons, plus they've been around forever.

I knew that wit was going to go within minutes of posting. So glad you got it. I will live vicariously through you haha :)
I'm very interested in seeing how she grows up.

Moro is a hypo wit from dachiu, and as babies the hypo wits typically look very white like zeros, but as they age they get more of a warm natural color.
So if it's the same with your girl, I'd be interested in seeing if that color change with age makes her even more red, or if it dulls slightly.

Either way, she is stunning, and your sons dragon will be a real stunner too.

Geeze, just when I thought I couldn't get any more excited over this whole thing lol.

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":23ja9h3h said:
Yup I follow a lot of the breeders pretty closely. KPS has been very impressive with the dragons they have been putting out. Like you, i've been blown away by their witblits. They are producing the highest color wit's out there right now. Even Josh D hasn't produced any like they have, which is saying something in my book.

Dragintails is also great, they produce some very nice dragons, plus they've been around forever.

I knew that wit was going to go within minutes of posting. So glad you got it. I will live vicariously through you haha :)
I'm very interested in seeing how she grows up.

Moro is a hypo wit from dachiu, and as babies the hypo wits typically look very white like zeros, but as they age they get more of a warm natural color.
So if it's the same with your girl, I'd be interested in seeing if that color change with age makes her even more red, or if it dulls slightly.

Either way, she is stunning, and your sons dragon will be a real stunner too.

Geeze, just when I thought I couldn't get any more excited over this whole thing lol.

-Brandon
I've been looking at their website and there is a breeder dragon that's a pastel yellow and salmon color witblits that is beautiful. All of their adult dragons are impressive. My kids are such animal lovers and I'm so excited for them. This was so much better than toys lol. Spent more, but these animals will be in their lives for a decade or so and will bring a lot more enjoyment than toys. Maybe they'll develop a real love for them and breed them when they get older, who knows! It's really fun to see what colors and patterns get put out by breeders because each dragon is so unique. We don't do a lot of extracurricular activities like sports or dance, so I wanted a hobby my kids could get into at home.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So turns out I live 45 min away from Fluker farms. This should make getting feeders super easy, but dubias are speedy. Anyone have any experience with dubia colonies? I’m worried about the allergy potential. If I handle with gloves and masks when doing maintenance we should be ok? Planning on keeping in my garage with the ceramic heat elements.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
What little beauties you've picked out! They're so tiny and delicate looking. Can't wait to find out what their names are.

Wish I could advise on dubia colonies... but I haven't the time, patience, or stomach to grow my own feeders! I have heard that they can really aggravate asthma, so cleaning in a well ventilated area with a mask on is probably a good idea. Good luck! :D

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you are worried about it you can always just slowly expose yourself to them.

It's pretty rare from what I understand but taking preventive measures to avoid exposures and sensitivities won't hurt.
At first I would wear gloves when handling them, as I too was a bit worried when I first started with them. Now though, I just wash my hands.

When I do a clean up of the colony bin though, I wear latex gloves and a respirator. I used to do it without, but I've seen more and more people who have developed allergies to things from being constantly exposed to it. So i figured why not, takes no effort to wear a respirator and put on gloves, plus I'm sure my lungs thank me for not having to filter out a bunch of dusty bug poo.

I keep my colony in my dragon room in a closet.

As long as you keep up with it and don't let things get moldy or bad in it, they really are very easy to care for.

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":y8o8f1rv said:
If you are worried about it you can always just slowly expose yourself to them.

It's pretty rare from what I understand but taking preventive measures to avoid exposures and sensitivities won't hurt.
At first I would wear gloves when handling them, as I too was a bit worried when I first started with them. Now though, I just wash my hands.

When I do a clean up of the colony bin though, I wear latex gloves and a respirator. I used to do it without, but I've seen more and more people who have developed allergies to things from being constantly exposed to it. So i figured why not, takes no effort to wear a respirator and put on gloves, plus I'm sure my lungs thank me for not having to filter out a bunch of dusty bug poo.

I keep my colony in my dragon room in a closet.

As long as you keep up with it and don't let things get moldy or bad in it, they really are very easy to care for.

-Brandon

I was thinking about keeping them in my garage. I could make an insulated rubbermaid with some tyvek between two of them with the CHE. I live in Louisiana so it’s never cold for long. And I could always bring them in if temperatures got too cold for a few days. Obviously they would be something I’d handle versus my kids. I’d just grab a few feeders and put in a Tupperware if they want to feed them themselves. A respirator and gloves sounds good to me. I’d much prefer that maintenance than having to go to the pet store often for feeders. My vet breeds super worms for their office bearded dragon because none of them can handle the roaches (grosses them out lol) so I’ll probably supplement with those. How do you clean your colony bin? Is it complicated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom