Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided to join this community! I've read some helpful info here before but I'm not finding much of an answer to my questions this time so here I am!
I had a lovely beardie for just under 2yrs, Marley was a rescue about 2yrs old when I got her but unfortunately she suddenly passed away in November 2019, after having a sudden serious seizure. She opened a new world for me and I'm now in love with beardies!
I recently got a new baby girl, Piper. The breeder said she was hatched August 5th 2019. However, she's quite small from what I can tell. She's supposed to be half Hypo Citrus half Giant. Now, if she hatched in August, it's now January, which would make Piper 5months old, but she's not even 9" long yet?!? From what I understand, at 5 months old she should be much bigger by now....she was in a smaller tank where she came from, she's now in a much larger tank. Does that have anything to do with her smaller size right now? She's eating pretty well, temperatures and lighting are good. Will she maybe "catch up" in size now she's in a larger space?
Thanks for any info!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello and welcome to the forum ----- I am assuming proper lighting means a TUBE UVB not a coil and basking temps of 105-110--- they are going to grow at their own speed --- mine was smaller too he was the runt of the clutch and just now seems to be on a huge growth spurt and hes almost 6.5 months old ----- he has been in constant shed for the last 2 weeks so I am assuming that is what is going to happen w/ Piper -- she will start growing all of a sudden -- as long as your feeding her good meals like her salad and insects w/ good worms and shes eating her fill and pooping getting hydration and basking you are good --
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the site!

Sorry to hear about your other one.

How long have you had Piper?

Could you post a picture of her and your setup?

-Brandon

MarleyPiperGirls

Original Poster
KarrieRee":36xr2u6b said:
Hello and welcome to the forum ----- I am assuming proper lighting means a TUBE UVB not a coil and basking temps of 105-110--- they are going to grow at their own speed --- mine was smaller too he was the runt of the clutch and just now seems to be on a huge growth spurt and hes almost 6.5 months old ----- he has been in constant shed for the last 2 weeks so I am assuming that is what is going to happen w/ Piper -- she will start growing all of a sudden -- as long as your feeding her good meals like her salad and insects w/ good worms and shes eating her fill and pooping getting hydration and basking you are good --
Karrie

Hi Karrie! Thanks for the welcome!
I'm thinking maybe Piper was the runt too, just by something the breeder had said that I may have misunderstood lol
Her temps and lighting are as suggested, they're good. She is eating well...like a little piglet the past couple of days! She finished a shed when I got her in November, shed once in December, and is about to do it again (her head and tail have gone grey again). Thanks for the info! Good to have the reassurance! She's my first baby beardie so I'm way more concerned/fussed than I was with my adopted adult.

MarleyPiperGirls

Original Poster
claudiusx":3nnnlqiw said:
Welcome to the site!

Sorry to hear about your other one.

How long have you had Piper?

Could you post a picture of her and your setup?

-Brandon

Hi Brandon!
Thanks, I miss my girl Marley but I gave her a great bit of life while I had her.
I've had Piper since November 28th, so a little over a month now. She seems very happy and healthy. I was just wondering why she is a little on the smaller side of the measurement scale. Could be due to a smaller enclosure at the breeders, maybe she didn't get as much food as they thought (due to sharing space with hatchlings) or maybe she was the runt and I just misunderstood what the breeder said. She has grown a fair amount since I brought her home, and is going into another shed now.
I'm not sure exactly how to post photos here yet but I'll work on it!
She's in full sized tank, I think it's probably a 40-50 gallon (takes up the majority of my dining table). Temps & Lighting are all good, she's eating well, calcium dusted crickets twice a day(8-15 per feeding depending on her appetite), greens, veggies, couple waxworms every other day....I'm still experimenting on what she likes in the way of veggies and such....and I'm looking into ordering some bsfl. I'd like to get her off crickets ASAP they're hard to keep they're smelly and not the best when it comes to parasites. I have realized I should only dust the crickets once a day so I'll be changing that.....she's basking well and pooping at least once a day...lots of energy! She's a little jumping bean! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom