Juvenile beardie refuses to eat, getting skinny. please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah, shedding tends to upset them and cause stress. And stress can upset their tummies a bit. But, it's a good sign that he is shedding. Shedding = growth! :D

-Brandon

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":16vp3cf6 said:
Yeah, shedding tends to upset them and cause stress. And stress can upset their tummies a bit. But, it's a good sign that he is shedding. Shedding = growth! :D

-Brandon

I’ve never been so excited to see flaky skin! ? I also noticed that recently his head shakes when I pick him up. I don’t know if he’s getting startled or beginnings of MBD. I am putting more calcium in each feed and i bought a reptile “ladder” that would put him right under the UVB.

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello!

I have some not so good news. Pathfinder has become very weak and lethargic since yesterday. He’s not really eating even his syringed foods. He also barely moves and when I move him, his head shakes. I don’t know if this is normal for shedding or if he’s starting to Brumate? He’s not even an adult yet. I have his appointment at 8pm today and I need a stool sample but he hasn’t pooped either, since he’s barely eating.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No enemas!!! If he doesn't go before you take him try and get some unsweetened applesauce in him-- or prunes- it takes a lot out of them to go to the bathroom- maybe syringe feed him some water little at a time-- see if that helps push it along-- but do not let the vet do an enama -- especially that weak
Karrie

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":lxw816bs said:
No enemas!!! If he doesn't go before you take him try and get some unsweetened applesauce in him-- or prunes- it takes a lot out of them to go to the bathroom- maybe syringe feed him some water little at a time-- see if that helps push it along-- but do not let the vet do an enama -- especially that weak
Karrie

Thank you! I’ll try the prune baby food soon. He just won’t swallow anything no matter if it’s in his mouth. Could this be because of shedding?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not that I know of -- my little guy just did a body shed and he's been crabby but still eating and yesterday his poop was off-- today it was back to normal-- I would see if you can get some water in him -- little at a time slow so he doesn't aspirate--
Karrie

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":28psirpx said:
Not that I know of -- my little guy just did a body shed and he's been crabby but still eating and yesterday his poop was off-- today it was back to normal-- I would see if you can get some water in him -- little at a time slow so he doesn't aspirate--
Karrie

I just gave him some prunes with a bit of water mixed in. I don’t know how much he swallowed because he didn’t even move, it’s like he’s asleep.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Could you tell if he swallowed it --- I know when I syringe feed when I did I put them on the kitchen table on a dish towel and go in from the side and he would open up his mouth and I would put the food or water in slow and then watch him swallow --
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little thing. :( All of these symptoms possibly point to ADV , atadenovirus. It's very debilitating for some dragons and many babies don't survive. Hopefully the vet can help but it doesn't look good.

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":12du03zh said:
Poor little thing. :( All of these symptoms possibly point to ADV , atadenovirus. It's very debilitating for some dragons and many babies don't survive. Hopefully the vet can help but it doesn't look good.

Could it be ADV? I’ve seen some videos and he’s not really doing the falling over thing. His head is trembling sometimes. I really don’t know what more to do. He’s tried to poop and warm bath didn’t help, he’s just sitting there limp.

106536-3308592714.jpg

He’s been like this all day, even when I pick him up he doesn’t move.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would ask the vet about the ADV tonite --- they can test for it --- hes not doing the stargazing ? another sign of ADV
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's still a possibility because they don't all have identical symptoms. Your baby has some of the symptoms but not the severe neurological ones, just the slight head trembling . That can be caused by low calcium or possible vitamin deficiency but he's getting the supplement + proper uvb so I don't think it's those. ADV seems most likely but it's still a guess. Hopefully something can be done. I feel really bad for you, trying so hard and the baby has really been hanging in there. BTW, what is that dark patch on his head, just shed ?

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":8kasqdri said:
It's still a possibility because they don't all have identical symptoms. Your baby has some of the symptoms but not the severe neurological ones, just the slight head trembling . That can be caused by low calcium or possible vitamin deficiency but he's getting the supplement + proper uvb so I don't think it's those. ADV seems most likely but it's still a guess. Hopefully something can be done. I feel really bad for you, trying so hard and the baby has really been hanging in there. BTW, what is that dark patch on his head, just shed ?

Yes the dark patch is shed, I had just given him a soak to get him to poop. Now he doesn’t even want to bask anymore. If he dies, I don’t know what I’ll do. My kids and I will be devastated. I don’t think I’ll get another beardie, I can’t go through this again. :(

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I agree it is terrible to haft to go thru them dying when you have tried everything to save them--- illness is hard but when someone does it out of stupidness or intentional is really maddening!!! I tried to save one she was a rehome/ rescue it turned out and she was starved to death --- anyway --- I hear you --- it is so sad to see them fight for so long and in the end lose-- or give up--please keep us posted on the vet visit --- are you going to the same vet or different one? You need someone who is experienced ---- here is a website in case you need it www.https://arav.org/
Karrie

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":5vw6qpin said:
I agree it is terrible to haft to go thru them dying when you have tried everything to save them--- illness is hard but when someone does it out of stupidness or intentional is really maddening!!! I tried to save one she was a rehome/ rescue it turned out and she was starved to death --- anyway --- I hear you --- it is so sad to see them fight for so long and in the end lose-- or give up--please keep us posted on the vet visit --- are you going to the same vet or different one? You need someone who is experienced ---- here is a website in case you need it www.https://arav.org/
Karrie

Thank you Karrie! I’m going to a different vet this time who was recommended to me by a friend whose owned reptiles. I’ll update later on tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom