Beardie ate a roach during brumation and hasn’t gone to the

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmaiese

Hi all,
So grateful to have a space to consult with others! My beardie is about a year old and has exhibited all brumation signs. About 4 weeks ago he was awake for 4 days so I gave him a roach to eat thinking he was coming out of brumation. That day he basked and then that night he had seemed to go back into a brumation state. Since then, when I notice his eyes open I will give him a long warm bath, he will bask for an hour or two and then head back to his cave. In this time he has not had a bowel movement since he has ingested the roach. Is this a pressing matter that should result in a trip to the vet?

Grateful for all experience and advice!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Definitely nothing to worry about.

They can easily go WEEKS without a bowel movement when going through brumation. :)

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Unless it's a "bred" or bought roach , I'd be more concerned about what toxins in your home or next door it's been exposed to ( had sprayed onto it, eaten ( bait ) or touched ( surface spray / barrier insectocides ).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, a small amount of food such as a roach, shouldn't be enough to cause him any
harm. He will likely pass it through eventually but his system is really slown down. As
Brandon said, they can go weeks without going to the bathroom.
I'm sure he will be up & around pretty soon again.

Tracie

Bmaiese

Original Poster
Thank you so much guys!! Yes, we purchase dubia roaches from a repratible local pet shop. I can’t say for sure but they are extremely knowledgeable with reptiles especially. Glad to hear you guys think he will be okay! We weren’t even sure if he was going to brumate since he’s just shy of a year old but since November he’s been going strong! We can’t wait until he’s out of brumation!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They can most definitely brumate when they are under one year of age. We had a male
who brumated when he was just short of 6 months but, he was 550 grams & 19 inches long.
He was perfectly fine when he came out & hadn't really lost any weight, at all.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom