April and Xena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I am a first time beardie Mom. Xena is about 7 weeks old. I got her 2 weeks ago and she was 5.5 inches long. She is now 7¼ inches long, so she is right on track. I have wanted a beardie for the past 20 years. My hubby got it for me as an early holiday present. He says if he would have known how happy it would make me he would have got it for me a long while ago. I have already started a cricket farm, experiences her first shed, and just in the last couple days I have gotten to witness the "butt-wiggles". I am officially in love. I am excited to be able to share my journey and Xena's growth. I think my husband might be sick of how much I talk about her already ???.When I first got her ...
106844-4260258465.jpg
106844-9943912406.jpg

Today ?
106844-266498202.jpg

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Welcome to you both! Xena is so cute and reminds me a lot of our 1st (Otto- same colorations and about the same size when we got him). I'm afraid that now that you've experienced the beardie snuggle, there's no going back for you :D

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
She is precious. Your husband has no choice but to accept his new role as reptile dad. You are a proud reptile mom. Xena looks so strong and healthy. What do you have her lights and enclosure? I'm asking because I know people here love to help check that husbandry is spot on and can offer any advice if you want any

AprilandXena

Original Poster
I'm asking because I know people here love to help check that husbandry is spot on and can offer any advice if you want any...

I would love any advice!!! I have a 40 gallon thrive enclosure with front opening doors with a 30 inch 5.0HO reptisun hood with a 10.0 bulb, a 150 watt basking light from zoomed, a 150 watt ceramic heat emitter from amazon. The basking light is in the left corner on her basking rock, and the ceramic heater is centered on her vivarium to be able to make sure she gets a cool side on the right, but not too cool. I live in Mn so we get pretty chilly. Her hot side is 110° with 40% humidity, and her cool side is between 89° to 97° with 40% humidity. Her Viv never drops below 85°. And as far as becoming a reptile Dad, he absolutely adores her, and has even been talking about getting a veiled chameleon lol. We already have a 3 year old Ball python so we have designated a room in our house as the reptile room. ????

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I'm in MN too! My own dragon Devlyn started brumating with the cold weather, she knew it was just too cold and napping away is the best, ha ha.

The Reptisun 10.0 is one of the best for UVB. Long tube UVB with a hood. How are you measuring the temperature? One thing I learned here is to have two ways to check temp. A probe by itself or with a thermostat system like a Herpstat (as an example) and an infrared gun that you can get a a hardware store. ACE or Menards or any of those places will have a "non-contact infrared thermometer". It is multipurpose and works great for checking that a grill is hot enough to get started too. More use than for reptiles.

Eventually a bigger enclosure would be good. Something like 4'x2'x2' or about 120 gallons. Big room for a big dragon and there is space for different textures, climbing, and other enrichment. Also a lot of people suggest tile for a floor, slate tile for example. Easier to clean than carpet and it trims the nails naturally.

AprilandXena

Original Poster
My husband and I are mechanics so we already had a temp gun, I just adopted it for the house :) I also use it to make sure my ball python is staying a good temp. Then I just picked up some digital therm/hygros to stick into my hot and cold side (I have the ones that came with the enclosure kit, but they are not very easy to read.) I think I might look into making my own enclosure when we go bigger. I made her background. It's a fairy desert. Cheezy, but its mine lol. No one else will have one. Thanks for all the awesome information!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the site! Sorry I'm really late LOL.

How have things been going with your little one?

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom