New owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am a new beardie owner! Not sure how old or sex, it was 5.5 inch long, 7.6 grams when I got it. I am Having some concerns... I have had it about 5 weeks now. I got from local big box pet store( i know now, not the best choice ). No eating much for 2 weeks now. After about the first two weeks it started eating more insects but only 2 Dubia roaches (size no bigger than space between eyes) per day. It did this for one week then went back to eating 0-2 per week. I tried crickets but nothing. Won’t touch greens. Drinks during bath once a day (started bathing after one week). It had reached a weight as high as 8.6 but then went back down 7.6. I just can’t get it to eat!!!!!

Set up:
Melamine 4x2x2
Sliding glass doors at front
Repti sun 10.0 24inch (closet it can get to it is 4 inch)
50watt basking light
18 inch Florescent at cool side for lighting only

Temps:
Basking 115-95°F (depending on location)
Hot side 95°F -30% humidity
Mid 90°F- 35% humidity
Cool 85°F - 40% humidity
Night temp gets no lower than 69°F but usually around 72°F

Substrate:
Tile

I run lights for 13 hours( I have read 12-14hr)
I cover glass when lights are out so any light in the house/room won’t bother. Recently I have experimented with covering the glass during the day to limit stress. I have found it moves around a little more.

Behavior:
Poops every day, size and consistency depending on how much it ate. Last two weeks it has been staying in cave, the basking rock has cave beneath and gets light and is 95°F at the entrance. It will only move out and bask after a bath. It it slightly active, seems to really get moving just before time to turn lights out. Really seems to like the privacy when I cover glass.

Any advice is much welcome and needed!! Thank you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so the UVB is a T 5 or a T 8 distance is a concern on this w/ the 4" ------ if its a T 5 it is way too close --- even for a T 8 recommendations on the T 5 is 12-15 inches inside the tank w/ no cover on the bulb --- if its a T 8 recommendations is 6-8 inside tank w/ no cover on bulb -- it all sounds good otherwise --- I would not be covering your tank --- they really dont need to be covered and w/ the lights on in the house and his off he should settle down and go to sleep - and when all lights are off that is good - they need darkness and cool for better sleep - the hiding in the cave is a concern he should not be hiding and should be basking for at least 4 hrs per day --- are you UVB and basking lights set up together or separate sides of tank - I am thinking its the UVB for the hiding
Karrie

Dragonsbeard

Original Poster
The UVB is a T8 Mounted inside, no cover, set together w/ basking. Climbing it’s log, it can get as close as 5 inches(sorry not 4). From the UVB to the viv floor is 15 inches. Thanks so much!!! Happy holidays!!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome!

Your setup sounds fine! Your UVB distance is fine for a t8 bulb :)

-Brandon

Dragonsbeard

Original Poster
claudiusx":ik2b9lf0 said:
Welcome!

Your setup sounds fine! Your UVB distance is fine for a t8 bulb :)

-Brandon

Thanks! Basking more the last few days, not hiding!! Still having trouble getting it to eat, only about 2-3 Dubia a day, that’s it. Won’t touch salad. Going to get some small crickets today, trying to stay away from them(smell, parasite, etc.), ordered some Phoenix worms too. I read in one discussion that said to try smashing feeder insects and gently rub the guts or juices on edge of month, that didn’t work... Also, stress marks on underside have almost completely faded, not showing then the past few days.

Thanks so much!!!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds like everything is going OK! At least some food is being eaten! I've had dragons that ate hardly anything for the first 3 weeks before finally getting their appetite back! Stress affects everyone differently :)

-Brandon

Dragonsbeard

Original Poster
claudiusx":2hwwx3cu said:
Sounds like everything is going OK! At least some food is being eaten! I've had dragons that ate hardly anything for the first 3 weeks before finally getting their appetite back! Stress affects everyone differently :)

-Brandon

Thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom