Shedding info for Newbies

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Agreed -- partial and asymmetrical sheds are normal, especially as the beardie gets older.

When we first got our beardie, after having had a snake for several years, our reptile vet warned us that bearded dragons are Not-Like-Snakes when they shed. Takes some getting used to. :)

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Agreed that bearded dragons are Not-Like-Snakes when it comes to shedding. They can't just pull it off like a stocking the way a snake can because they have arms and legs and fingers and toes, so it's more complicated. That being said, my beardie's latest attempt at shedding is a mess... :roll:

New mom here! Thanks for posting the helpful shedding information! Just curious is you could look at a pic and tell me if my beardie is in a current shed and how long does it typically take for a shed to be complete? His tail is alot brighter than anything else!
106492-7250305391.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks like his back and the end of his tail are getting ready to shed because of the dull/waxy coloring of the skin.That should eventually harden and break free. The amount of time that takes can vary quite a bit.

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Hello I have a couple of questions. My bearded dragon hasn’t shed since I got him 10/19/2019. He had just finished shedding his tail the first week I got him. Since then he hasn’t shed. I don’t know if this could contribute to his diet, he stopped eating live insects within the first month of being here and I’ve been syringe feeding him since. The vet gave me some oxbow carnivore care which I would drip onto his snout for him to eat. I noticed that he has what looks like dried food on his snout and face, but I don’t want to pick it off just in case it’s old skin. I always clean him with a q-tip and some water after each meal and this stays there. His bottom eyelid also seems to be coming off? I tried to take pics, this is the best I could get.

106536-3278278099.jpg

106536-9907100307.jpg

Could this be shed starting or stuck food? If stuck food, how can I get it off without hurting him?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The second picture is a bit too blurry, but in the first one the skin around his face looks a bit waxy which usually indicates a shed is about to start.

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
CooperDragon":glj9w32e said:
The second picture is a bit too blurry, but in the first one the skin around his face looks a bit waxy which usually indicates a shed is about to start.

Wow!!! I thought it was caked on food! ? about how long until the peeling starts?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Caked on food happens too but that looks like a shed. Hard to say when it will start. It really varies between dragons and between shed cycles.

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
Hello!
Can any beardie experts take a look at my beardie. Specifically the tail, it was shedding but I’m not sure if it had some stuck shed? I’ve also included pictures of his back and leg as it seems to be shedding too but not sure. Thank you!

106536-132672852.jpg

106536-6653124923.jpg

106536-8738580010.jpg

106536-619343874.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Nothing stuck there, there rarely is. People use the term " stuck shed " in an improper way. There is almost never a stuck shed, just a normal lingering shed that comes off when it's ready. :) Part of his tail that is lighter has already shed, where the darker part starts, including his back, has yet to shed. Nothing to worry about or to do anything about , it's totally normal.

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
AHBD":wttmlcvv said:
Nothing stuck there, there rarely is. People use the term " stuck shed " in an improper way. There is almost never a stuck shed, just a normal lingering shed that comes off when it's ready. :) Part of his tail that is lighter has already shed, where the darker part starts, including his back, has yet to shed. Nothing to worry about or to do anything about , it's totally normal.

Ah, thank you very much! :)

Olive2710

107431-4355287179.jpg
Hey guys! I'm new to this platform and you all seem so nice and helpful so I thought I'd ask a question. I got Todd a bit over a month ago and he's shed 3 times already, his most recent being about a week and a bit ago, and I was wondering if this is just shed that's late coming off? Thanks in advance ?

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom