Darwin

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
He has finally started to wake up. Not at full energy yet but is wide awake in the mornings and runs around like a madman. Has a little bit of an appetite but not much yet - just a lot of energy. Similar to previous years and right about on schedule. He's a little bit jumpy and slightly disoriented (compared to after he has been awake for a while) nothing to be concerned with. Hardly any weight loss this year. Same weight (543g) as he was in August which is impressive. I expect a little bit of a weight dip as he gets to running all over and ignoring food. That should come right back when his appetite kicks back in next month (ish).

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Oh I'm so jelous! So glad that little Darwin has woken up just in time for Xmas though :) He knew his papa was just waiting for him to wake! Merry Xmas, Cooper! Such a wonderful little gift of joy, he is!

Vanessa

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad Darwin is waking up. Tombo went through a little semi brumation but I think it's coming out of it. I've never had a dragon go through an actual full brumation.

*knocks on wood*

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
After a long hard day of running around investigating all of the things, Darwin decided to plop down on the couch and pass out for the evening =)

76248-4530676962.jpg

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
CooperDragon":308vvd3p said:
After a long hard day of running around investigating all of the things, Darwin decided to plop down on the couch and pass out for the evening =)

76248-4530676962.jpg

Oh how cute is he?!? :D He must have done some deep investigative work to be wiped out like that. :lol:

Vanessa

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
So tonight, Weirdo McGee (as he is to now be known) fell asleep with his head hanging off his log like this:

76248-5895658731.jpg

Looked like it would hurt his neck so I moved him down and put him flat on his blanket. Within a few minutes he was sleep (standing?) like this:

76248-6912288992.jpg

He is passed out but just pushed himself straight up like that. Weirdo.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Haha that is too funny. Maybe he was tired of all the lying down he did while brumating, he thought he'd switch it up a bit LOL.

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
He has been super active and according to the camera he has a new habit of waking himself up in the middle of the night (or doing this unconsciously), propping himself up or spinning around, head bobbing a few times, then falling right back to sleep. Such an odd little dude. Post brumation hormones must be rough.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
He was very happy to get out of his tank and run around the house again. He is in full hyperactive mode again. His weight is down to 510 (from 548 during brumation) and he shows mild interest in bugs but doesn't follow through on actually eating them. I've ordered some of his favorite hornworms to try and get his attention. This is pretty normal for him though, he'll lose weight while hyperactive and then gain it back when he slows down and his appetite comes back.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Not doing so well keeping this up lately. Darwin is still doing well. Starting to slow back down to normal, which for him is pretty active. His appetite is back up so he's starting to put weight back on and he is eating more roaches than usual. He has some silks in at the moment too. He is at 512g right now and will usually go back up to around 540-550 or so by summer then repeat the cycle again. Here is a photo of him yesterday in full sail pancake mode catching some real sunlight through the window.

76248-3967013280.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Darwin has such a regal looking head and face. He definitely looks happy!

Did you buy silks or do you raise them yourself?

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I bought them from Rainbow. They are probably the healthiest batch I've ever gotten. I don't usually have good luck with them due to fragility but so far so good. Used some of the tips from King's old posts like changing the paper substrate daily, using a plastic tote with holes drilled in top, and freezing the chow into a log wrapped in plastic and then grating the hardened chow over the top of them. I do it under one of Darwin's portable lights so the colder chow melts right away and doesn't seem to bother them for very long (if at all).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok cool, I might have to buy some from rainbow then. Karrie recently had issues with silks from rainbow I'm sure you saw.
I used to just buy the eggs from mulberry and raise them myself, but I just dont have that time anymore, at least not right now.

I've never actually bought live silks.

Anyways, glad you're having success with them. I bet Darwin loves them. I wish I could afford to feed them as my crews main feeder.

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I had been ordering from coastal but they've been out. I order them in the cup with some chow and then a pack of dry chow I can mix later. I had them held at the post office for pickup and that worked pretty well, especially given the cold temps. This batch just seems a bit tougher than some I've had in the past. No dieoffs once I got them settled in.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Love the look on Darwin's face. Much like, "Sir...I own this place. How dare you take a photo thing of me." :lol: I too am glad your silkies from Rainbow have worked out. I've gotten some from there and although they arrive healthy, and I feed them chow, I can never get them to survive past a few days. So I would try to give them to the Tampsters as often as I could.

Looks forward to more pics and adventures of Darwin :blob8:

Vanessa

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom