URGENT NOT EATING

Status
Not open for further replies.

FESTUS

I just got my bearded dragon yesterday
I did a bunch of research to know what veggies to get. But they all say collard greens.
I dont know what collard greens to get.
Cause collard greens is a group of vegetables not the name of 1 specific vegetable.
I know lettuce and kale and spinach are no good
What about coleslaw?
In other words what daily leafy green should I feed

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Collard greens are actually a specific type of vegie. Of course there are different varietys of it like every other fruit or vegie out there, typically you'll only find one type at your supermarket.

Are you in the US or the UK? I believe they are called something else in the UK.

Either way, here is a good chart to look at in regards to food items.

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

I'd spend some free time reading around this site and asking questions if you have any. You want to make sure you start off right with your new guy! :)

-Brandon

FESTUS

Original Poster
Okay thx
I am in Canada and just really worried.
I tried to feed cabbage and since the pet store near me is closed today. I could get insects. I have to go tmrw.
He is a year and a little old.
How bad is it if he goes 24h without eating???

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At a year old, he definitely will be just fine without eating for a day.

I strongly suggest you do spend some time here reading though as it sounds like you didn't do quite enough preparing beforehand. Trust me, it will save you a ton of hassle and headache in the long run.

I only say that because it's very common for them to go through what is called relocation stress. This occurs when they change environments. And during this time it's very common for them to have a low appetite or no appetite at all. And this would have been made pretty evident in any research or care sheets that you can find.

So a couple things,
Firstly, I suggest making an introduction thread and posting up pictures. We love pictures here and it's a great way to introduce you and your dragon to the site.
Secondly, perhaps consider making your own thread in the enclosures section or the health section where we can go over your husbandry with you, and make sure everything is up to par.

Sometimes it's a bit difficult getting everything all setup perfect, but once you get over that initial hurdle, you're in for many healthy fun years with your new bud :)

-Brandon

FESTUS

Original Poster
I know about relocation stress.
I performed hours and hours of research before the purchase.
Actually read you introduction forum.
Only reason I was worried is that hes licking everything in the enclosure as if trying to eat.
But if you think it is nothing to worry about for now the that makes me happy.
Thank you for all your amazing help :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They lick around almost as a way of sensing their environment sometimes. So he's probably just getting used to his new setup.
As long as your husbandry is proper, you have nothing to worry about :)

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree it's most likely relocation stress which is very common and is generally not detrimental to them. :) BTW I just wanted to mention that kale is actually very good for them, it's spinach and iceberg lettuce that should be avoided when it comers to greens. Cabbage is not very good either. Greens like turnip, mustard, dandelion, collards + kale are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom