Took Beardie Outside to Bask and she did this???

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuisM23

Hey all,

Chomper is about a year old. So today i took the ole girl outside to bask. When i placed her on the grass she seemed to enjoy the rays and was out there relaxing. As soon as i approached to grab her she exhibited a behavior she has never done before. Mouth wide open , beard jet black and puffing it forward and she pancaked herself to look huge. I let her relax for a bit to see if she would relax but nothing, jaws wide open beard jet black and puffing. After 5 minutes I picked her up using her soaking plastic tub and once in her enclosure the beard unpuffed but stayed black for a while. Done anyone know what my girl was trying to tell me?? Thanks

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Something like this? This is how Peaches reacted to my wife, trying to pick her up, lol!

87978-9020493887.jpg

This is an instinctive defensive posture, used when something they see as a threat to them. Outside is something they have to get used to, it is very over welming to them because, they don't know where the predators will come from (above in the sky is mainly what they watch), you are tall (a giant to a dragon) this is why your dragon did this.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

This happens quite often. Most times it's because your dragon saw a bird or something that spooked her, and she was just on edge and scared.

-Brandon

Jacobsherps

Hatchling Member
Mine compleatly pancakes out on my shoulderwhen i take a walk with him and eats kale and peas, sobeks traditional hiking snack

Waterlily

My 1 year old did this the first few times we took her outside. I was worried she might bite my daughter so I took over. Shes an old pro at it now. We bought her a harness and started taking her out on my shoulder with my hand on her... So she felt safe. Then I would lay in my hammock with her and she had the freedom to snuggle with me or explore the hammock. Its really kind of about teaching them that you are watching out for them so they can be less defensive. Now I can let her down in the grass and stand with her and she no longer does the defensive posture. She still does it with my daughter though... So now she needs to work on gaining her trust like I have. Just takes time and patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom