Probe temps and IR gun temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Finally got Petey's digital probe thermometers (2) and IR Gun.

IR Gun: Peteys basking area, his hammock, runs anywhere from 86F to 96F, depending on where you shoot on the hammock itself. 96F where the probe is, which is his 'spot'.
106785-8863898445.jpg
This is the probe laying on his hammock, touching the fiber, and the temp.
106785-4907691944.jpg
This is the probe on the cool side. About 4 inches from top mesh. Substrate at 68F. Too cool. IR shows that whole half of tank between 68F and 72F basicly.
All over his hide, from 70F to 72F. This doesn't seem warm enough for center tank or cool side.
Had to drop basking fixture until almost on the steel mesh to get his spot over 86F. From the probe to the mesh is 9 inches and to the actual basking bulb about 13 inches. So this is the final temps from fiddling all afternoon and getting stink eye from Petey who is TRYING to sleep. ?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Dee,

You can try draping a towel or something over the top of the cool end to keep more heat in. This usually pretty drastically changes temps. If your house is cold and the enclosure isn't insulated, or has a very open top, heat can escape quite readily.

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3o34qgp1 said:
Hi Dee,

You can try draping a towel or something over the top of the cool end to keep more heat in. This usually pretty drastically changes temps. If your house is cold and the enclosure isn't insulated, or has a very open top, heat can escape quite readily.

-Brandon
Hate to say but have a heavy towel, folded in half, over half the tank, little over half the tank, the cool side. Lights are both on warm side.
His cool side is the same temp as my house.
And he's not happy with me right now. ? Don't blame him, I hate being woke up too.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You will probably need to change to a different basking bulb, or a higher wattage one then. What type of bulb are you using right now?

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":1p7cp5cl said:
You will probably need to change to a different basking bulb, or a higher wattage one then. What type of bulb are you using right now?

-Brandon
I think it's a zoomed or reptisun 50W from pet store. New, same brand and watts of the last one. Blew out late Oct when I was pet sitting, so I replaced with identical bulb. They had higher watt, but I replaced what was there, afraid of it being too hot. Obviously he needs more. :(

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2rdjns61 said:

-Brandon
I notice in another thread you use the GE halogen. Do they fit like my screw in reptile basking spotlight? Fit my fixture? Can I get them at Lowe's? Going there anyway for tile.
Appreciate the help Brandon.
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I got these from home depot but Lowes probably has them too. They will fit in your fixture just make sure you fixture is rated for the wattage of bulb you pick. Typically I like to stay under the max rating. For instance, I wouldn't use a 100w bulb in a 100W fixture, but i'd feel fine using a 75w bulb in that same fixture.

Seems the bulbs last longer when it is lower than the rated wattage of the fixture.

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2gi7b0un said:
I got these from home depot but Lowes probably has them too. They will fit in your fixture just make sure you fixture is rated for the wattage of bulb you pick. Typically I like to stay under the max rating. For instance, I wouldn't use a 100w bulb in a 100W fixture, but i'd feel fine using a 75w bulb in that same fixture.

Seems the bulbs last longer when it is lower than the rated wattage of the fixture.

-Brandon
? the wattage rating for this fixture is 660W, 250V, guess it's good to go. You think 100W should be sufficient? Fixture is highly adjustable. Up/down/side/side etc.
I'll check them at Lowe's, 5 mins away, where HD is 32 miles.
Thanks again.
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
100w will most likely be enough. I use a 45w I believe - in my 4x2x2s But of course the wood insulates much better. Luckily they are cheap enough that you could try to buy a couple different wattages. Once you find what works, you're golden :)

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":1xcv5p4z said:
100w will most likely be enough. I use a 45w I believe - in my 4x2x2s But of course the wood insulates much better. Luckily they are cheap enough that you could try to buy a couple different wattages. Once you find what works, you're golden :)

-Brandon
Great! And the list just keeps getting longer! LMAO
Thanks for letting me monopolize your time. Education under fire. ?
-Dee

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd go with the probe temperatures . MUCH MORE RELIABLE.

96 F at the basking spot is fine.

Also , I notice sand in the tank , I'd ditch the stuff especially if it's calci- or vita- sand.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3h7nsg5q said:

Also , I notice sand in the tank , I'd ditch the stuff especially if it's calci- or vita- sand.
Hi! It's not sand it's ground coconut fiber BUT it's still coming out. Received his reptile carpet, which I'll use under his hide and will be going after tile for the bottom of his tank, soon, maybe today.
I wasn't worried about the temp in his basking spot, got it regulated after much adjustment. My concern is how cold it is in the rest of his house. Maybe a better basking light and another afternoon of adjusting and I can get the temps better all over. I'm working on it.
Thanks hon! Your comments always appreciated.
-Dee

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DragonPete":3e0zv0zj said:
kingofnobbys":3e0zv0zj said:

Hi! It's not sand it's ground coconut fiber BUT it's still coming out. Received his reptile carpet, which I'll use under his hide and will be going after tile for the bottom of his tank, soon, maybe today.
I wasn't worried about the temp in his basking spot, got it regulated after much adjustment. My concern is how cold it is in the rest of his house. Maybe a better basking light and another afternoon of adjusting and I can get the temps better all over. I'm working on it.
-Dee

Reptile carpet is not a very good idea for lizards like bearded dragons , curly long sharp toe nails have a habit of being snagged between the fibres , panicing dragons can do their nails, toes and limbs very serious injuries when trying to get unsnagged.
Carpets also tend to be pretty hard to keep clean and dry.

Better off with lino or loose tiles or paper toweling.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1gm5975y said:
DragonPete":1gm5975y said:
kingofnobbys":1gm5975y said:

-Dee

Reptile carpet is not a very good idea for lizards like bearded dragons , curly long sharp toe nails have a habit of being snagged between the fibres , panicing dragons can do their nails, toes and limbs very serious injuries when trying to get unsnagged.
Carpets also tend to be pretty hard to keep clean and dry.

Better off with lino or loose tiles or paper toweling.

Since I'm only using a small piece of carpet under his hide, I'm hoping the tiles will keep his nails under control and it won't be a problem. If it is, I'll just have to toss it. ?
Thanks!
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom