Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi Everyone!

I wanted to include some nice safe greenery for Drogon. Plastic plants are not an option since I discovered some chew marks on them, and thankfully it's been a month with no impaction problems. I noticed in the pet store they have grass for cats! Both of my cats loved it, but is it safe for beardies? I don't wanna buy any plants from home depot in case they have toxic chemicals. Or worse.. spiders, roaches X_X ( I live in SC).

Also, a separate question, but going to change the substrate from sand to tile. Please show me your terrarium pics with recommendations on what your beardie likes :)

Thanks!
Selkie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I don't think I would recommend it. The grass you speak of , most likely dry (I have not seen it) and would have been treated with a preservative possibly.
If you take your dragon outside, the grass in your yard is ok as long as there are no pesticides present, or treated with any type of chemicals.
I do not take chances with my dragons!

As for the other question, it is great that you are getting rid of the sand. Rough textured floor tile is one of the best options. I have it in my new dragon "Angel's" viv, it is easy to clean, doesn't harbor bacteria and, doesn't pose an impaction risk.
Another good option is nonadhesive shelf liner , this is what I use in "Charlie's" viv.

Charlie's viv
87978-6279085227.jpg

Angel's viv
87978-1134472844.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

The grass for cats you saw was most likely wheatgrass.
If it is wheatgrass, it is perfectly fine for dragons to eat. You can eat it yourself too if you want lol.

The only thing I'd be cautious of is what its growing in. The grass itself isn't an issue, but any potential fertilizers in the soil that your dragon could eat if you just put the container in the enclosure.

-Brandon

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gormagon":4ald7c9q said:
I don't think I would recommend it. The grass you speak of , most likely dry (I have not seen it) and would have been treated with a preservative possibly.
If you take your dragon outside, the grass in your yard is ok as long as there are no pesticides present, or treated with any type of chemicals.
I do not take chances with my dragons!

As for the other question, it is great that you are getting rid of the sand. Rough textured floor tile is one of the best options. I have it in my new dragon "Angel's" viv, it is easy to clean, doesn't harbor bacteria and, doesn't pose an impaction risk.
Another good option is nonadhesive shelf liner , this is what I use in "Charlie's" viv.

Charlie's viv
87978-6279085227.jpg

Angel's viv
87978-1134472844.jpg

Hi there!!
Wow your vivs are gorgeous!! :) I love the rock wall texture.
Unfortunately i cant take him outside. I live in an apartment complex where they are spraying for pests. Also, we have a hawk family around here :)

Selkie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
claudiusx":2m621jl3 said:
Hi there,

The grass for cats you saw was most likely wheatgrass.
If it is wheatgrass, it is perfectly fine for dragons to eat. You can eat it yourself too if you want lol.

The only thing I'd be cautious of is what its growing in. The grass itself isn't an issue, but any potential fertilizers in the soil that your dragon could eat if you just put the container in the enclosure.

-Brandon

Hi Brandon!
I hope youre feeling better and Im glad you responded to this post! I had a feeling it was wheatgrass :) But do you think they would put that in a pet product? Id be a little surprised 0_0

Selkie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh most definitely. Actually, if you even just google "grass for cats to eat" wheatgrass is almost all that pops up. It's actually pretty healthy for humans and animals, which is why it's even a "thing" lol.

-Brandon

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Selkie1993":zpfjopxk said:
Hi there!!
Unfortunately i cant take him outside. I live in an apartment complex where they are spraying for pests. Also, we have a hawk family around here :)

Selkie
Thank you, I try to give them plenty of room and, activities to keep them from getting bored. As we all know.... dragons can get mischievous when bored, lol!

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Gormagon":37x9nk2d said:
Selkie1993":37x9nk2d said:
Hi there!!

Selkie
Thank you, I try to give them plenty of room and, activities to keep them from getting bored. As we all know.... dragons can get mischievous when bored, lol!

What kind of activities do you have set up for your dragon? I have a big climbing branch, a pyramid style rock and a hammock. what else keeps them busy since my guy throws dark beard tantrums and stares at me when Im not paying attention to him
XD

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Selkie1993":33c688f0 said:
Gormagon":33c688f0 said:
Selkie1993":33c688f0 said:
Hi there!!

Selkie

What kind of activities do you have set up for your dragon? I have a big climbing branch, a pyramid style rock and a hammock. what else keeps them busy since my guy throws dark beard tantrums and stares at me when Im not paying attention to him
XD
I give them (for lack of a better word) an obstacle course, things to climb up and around, run through and, over . I give them shady spots, bright spots, cool spots, warm spots and, hot spots.
Charlie stays busy all day playing commando, lol!!!
I have only had Angel for 2 weeks now. She had spent her 7 month life in a 20gallon long tank with inadequate heat and lighting. It took me some time to get her new domain (41"w x 26"d x 24"t) built but, she is a happy little dragon now. She has great heat gradients across her viv and top of the line UVB ,and she is eating properly now. She is an eating machine "2 big salads and 40 to 50 dubias" a day. They had only fed her 1 small salad and, 10 or 12 dubias a day. This is why she is only 14" long at 7 months

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Other potential hazard with it is if his been sprayed to control insects and weeds. These sprays are very toxic to a reptile who has not built up a resistance or inherited a genetic tolerance from it's parents.

So unless you are growing from seed and know for sure it's clean and uncontaminated , I'd say no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom