Dimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made the dumb mistake of getting the jumpstart heat mat thermometer for controlling the amount of heat my lamp gives off. What’s a good dimmer you guys use for your heat lamps or should I just get those dimmable heat lamp fixtures. I got the jumpstart thing cause I saw people using them and when I started using it I saw how annoying the lamp going on and off is.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you want a programmable one, there are several good options. I use a Herpstat and that works well. They aren't cheap, but are a nice addition to the enclosure because it will automatically fine tune the temps and has sunrise/sunset features built in.

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3qkpuoaz said:
If you want a programmable one, there are several good options. I use a Herpstat and that works well. They aren't cheap, but are a nice addition to the enclosure because it will automatically fine tune the temps and has sunrise/sunset features built in.
106198-5656315619.jpg
would this be any good for now. I know that the day/ night time feature is bull but all I need for now is something that will dim my 100wt bulb. It stays pretty warm at night so that’s not a worry. This will only be used for day time purposes.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If you like plug and play : https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Zing-Ear-ZE-602-Full-Range-Plug-in-Lamp-Dimmer-Light-Switch-120V-150-Watt/254021134527?hash=item3b24d6e8bf:g

Simple
unplug the fitting from the wall socket or the powerboard
plug in the lamp dimmer in it's place
plug the light fitting into the dimmer
turn the knob til you get the desired output from the basking globe ( heat and light output ), wont work with an MVB.

If you feel confident with wiring : this is easy to install : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rotary-Dimmer-Switch-Full-Range-For-Led-Table-Lamp-And-Incandescent-120v-300w/254330388417?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3D9efa6751e72845468e842e4c1b321edc%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D253944084215%26itm%3D254330388417%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Whole job will take a few minutes to install the inline dimmer, a bit of trial and error to get the desired basking spot surface temperature and warm zone temperature, then it's set and forget provided no one plays with the rheostat knob.

KISS is best, my experience is programmable dimmers are more bother than they are worth , but if you like techno gadgets they can be good if set up correctly and are good quality ( most are not ).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The Exo Terra says it has a dimming feature so that may do the trick for you. Just set the probe on the basking site and program it to a range and then it should dim your bulb for you to keep it close to the range. It's important to set the bulb at the right height with the right wattage first so you are getting close to the proper temps as it is (to prevent over dimming) and use the dimmer to just fine tune temps and keep up with ambient changes.

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2oi4ubmp said:
The Exo Terra says it has a dimming feature so that may do the trick for you. Just set the probe on the basking site and program it to a range and then it should dim your bulb for you to keep it close to the range. It's important to set the bulb at the right height with the right wattage first so you are getting close to the proper temps as it is (to prevent over dimming) and use the dimmer to just fine tune temps and keep up with ambient changes.
I went and got the herpstat 2 because I rather have something more quality for my beardie. Could I get a timer and connect the herpstat power cord to the timer so it turns on and off at a desired time. I’d like to know because I don’t want to have to disconnect the herpstat everyday at night. I only use one output and the that’s for heating in the morning.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Mishathedragon":3sjg1mb4 said:
CooperDragon":3sjg1mb4 said:
I went and got the herpstat 2 because I rather have something more quality for my beardie. Could I get a timer and connect the herpstat power cord to the timer so it turns on and off at a desired time. I’d like to know because I don’t want to have to disconnect the herpstat everyday at night. I only use one output and the that’s for heating in the morning.

Any inline domestic light timer will do the job , simply plug the timer into the wall socket , and then plug the power cable attached to the Herpstat to the timer , and the basking globe plugs into the Herpstat.

I've been using one of these for over 10 years to automate my lizards' photoperiod
hpm-2hr-7d-slimline-digital-inline-timer.png

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No need for the timer. The Herpstat 2 is fully programmable. You can program each outlet on it independently (I have basking light on one and heat projector on the other). Each probe provides input to one of the outlets. Program the current time then program the temp range and on/off times for each outlet. I also enable basking assist and a 15 minute ramp up and ramp down time to simulate sunrise and sunset. Once programmed, everything happens automatically.

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
CooperDragon":ues7xqjz said:
No need for the timer. The Herpstat 2 is fully programmable. You can program each outlet on it independently (I have basking light on one and heat projector on the other). Each probe provides input to one of the outlets. Program the current time then program the temp range and on/off times for each outlet. I also enable basking assist and a 15 minute ramp up and ramp down time to simulate sunrise and sunset. Once programmed, everything happens automatically.
Sorry for asking a lot but how exactly do you program the herpstat to turn off the heat. Also why does it say day cycle disabled all the way at the bottom where it shows your temps.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I forget the exact steps (double check the manual) but you have to go into the config setting for each output. Set the output mode to dimming. pulse works for a heat projector or CHE. There is a daytime temp setting that allows you to set the top range for the probe for that output (I think mine is at 103). Under night cycle you can set the main light to stay off using a really low temp. For the second output you can set the overnight temp for the heat projector to be something in the low 70s (mine is at 73 I believe). You can set the timeframe for each of these cycles. On mine, output 1is the basking light with probe on the basking area and output 2 is the heat projector with probe on the cool side floor. You can configure this different ways. There is a video they put together going through some of the setup basics here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QMmNGUfGW0

jdspdx

I second the recommendation for Herpstat 2. I am using it for basking areas for 2 vivaria. I would like to get another one so that I can have the ceramic heater and basking light controlled for both beardies. I have UVB and sometimes a second light on a timer/power strip. The Herpstat ramps up to sunrise and then after a few minutes the other lights come on. Atarka and Azazel are both brumating now so they couldn't care less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom