Looks like possible brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Morning all!
So! Yesterday afternoon, after finishing his salad and 'doing his 'bidness', Petey went into his hide, rearranged the coconut fiber, blocking the door halfway and proceeded to go to sleep. That was about 5pm.
1. He never uses his hide.
2. Lights are on 10-10.
3. He hasn't budged!
I can see his face, eyes closed just like I left him last night. I read the care sheet and postings I found on brumation and it all looks normal to me. Since he did poo beforehand, I thought it best to leave him be for now and see what happens.
Anyone have their BD be a little more active, all over the viv, like looking for the right spot before they settle in? Petey did.
Any suggestions or opinions appreciated!
Thanks!
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Update: I see a half open eyeball. Wonder if he'll come out later or continue to nap? I'm fascinated by things they do, it's all new to me! ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Half eyeball is pretty normal too. Sometimes they just act groggy for a while like they're on sleeping pills and bunker down. I'd just keep monitoring him but let him do his thing if all else is well.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1rm9js5s said:
Half eyeball is pretty normal too. Sometimes they just act groggy for a while like they're on sleeping pills and bunker down. I'd just keep monitoring him but let him do his thing if all else is well.
That's what I'm doing. I check him every few minutes, he's close by. Either eye is closed or slightly open. Has not come out at all today. Not worried, if he hadn't done his business, then I'd be concerned since I understand that can cause problems. But seems to be fine. I wish I slept so well.
Thanks hon.
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi dee,

Sometimes they just have days where they want to hide or sleep. But, if it continues its a good possibility it is brumation. It might be a good idea to weigh him now so you have a baseline weight for him.

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":1wagdadm said:
Hi dee,

Sometimes they just have days where they want to hide or sleep. But, if it continues its a good possibility it is brumation. It might be a good idea to weigh him now so you have a baseline weight for him.

-Brandon
Hi hon! I weighed him last week day before I introduced ourselves to the board. 420 grams. ?
He has not moved from his hide, maybe slightly moved inside. If he doesn't come out in a couple days I might consider a gentle wake up, maybe warm bath. His new stuff should be here, was supposed to be today. Have to check on it. His carpet, probes, etc. Will have to wake him to redo his house. ?
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yup! After 2+ days in his hide, I'm guessing he's "down for the count'. When I talk to him, he slightly cracks 1 eye, gives me dirty looks and goes back to sleep. ?
I'm really surprised he didn't do it sooner. After getting his probes and IR gun, found his temps were way too cool. Still trying to get it regulated properly.
About waking him? Don't want to just remove his hide, that would be SO rude! I'd be angry! Yesterday I was messing with his lights and temps all afternoon, which did rouse him a bit but he went right back to sleep. Would having things going on around him be a more gentle awakening? I do want to get rid of the ground coconut fiber substrate in his tank, put carpet under his hide and newspaper down till I can get to Lowe's for tile. Was thinking he might wake for all that, maybe warm bath then back to hide after drying off well.
Suggestions?
Thanks!
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi dee,

Personally I'd just wait until he gets up for a bit. Sometimes they will get up after a few days for a couple hours or a day to mope around. I'd let him sleep in peace :)

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":19gji54u said:
Hi dee,

Personally I'd just wait until he gets up for a bit. Sometimes they will get up after a few days for a couple hours or a day to mope around. I'd let him sleep in peace :)

-Brandon
I guess a few days won't hurt. Really wanted to take care of his house. Of course he waited till I ordered all this stuff to go to sleep.
Are the Supers gonna hold up? Just bought 100! Dang!
Thanks Brandon.
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You have to try to kill superworms lol. I order 1000 at a time, even if that ends up lasting for months. Just keep them housed in some oats and give them a carrot chunk they will be fine :)

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":cehx4ei3 said:
You have to try to kill superworms lol. I order 1000 at a time, even if that ends up lasting for months. Just keep them housed in some oats and give them a carrot chunk they will be fine :)

-Brandon
Thanks for that! They are in a cloth bag. Maybe find something with lid to put holes in? Etc?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah definitely. Get a shoebox sized container if you have one (plastic). Put some oats in it as substrate Add the carrot or potato. They will be much happier that way.

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3quidi9n said:
Yeah definitely. Get a shoebox sized container if you have one (plastic). Put some oats in it as substrate Add the carrot or potato. They will be much happier that way.

-Brandon
Thanks! Will grab something when I go to town. I put them in a large Cool whip bowl for now, with oats and bunch tiny holes in lid. Active little buggers!
So my OCD won't let me wait. ? Got 90% of the 'stuff' out of tank, some paper in, carpet cut for under hide. He hasn't paid much attention. Occasional stink eye. ? If I can Just get this done, will use paper and wait till he's up to add tile. I just hate the loose stuff, no amount of sifting makes it clean. That's when my OCD kicks in. ?
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom