Brumation/Age/Pinworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishubz

Little (lot) backstory:

Back in July, my bearded started slowing down on eating. Stopped pretty much all greens and would eat, MAYBE, 4 medium dubia roaches a week. I was told he was just going through a slow period, and he'd pick up.

Then in the fall he started hanging on the cool side of his tank and was generally less active. Pooping about once every 1.5 weeks or so. I took him to the vet after finally collecting a stool sample, and she told me he looked great. Thought it was just brumation. She was surprised when his fecal came back with pinworms. He was treated with Panacur, then received a second dose 2 weeks later. He had a stool the next day after his 2nd dose, a little soft with mostly urate.

From what I've read brumation is different for all beardeds, so it's hard to say what is "normal." I worry though because he's only 11 months. It's been a good 3 months since he last ate greens, and since October 25th he's only had 8 roaches (ya...I count and record in my calendar ?‍♀️). I know you're not supposed to push food while brumating, so I've offered only fresh greens and occasional repashy. He never touches it. He was more active last week, so I did offer him a roach which he gobbled. He gets weekly baths.

I haven't noticed a weight loss, but I had never weighed him until today. He is at 337 g at about 18.5 inches. I don't know his exact birthday, but he should be a year old around January. How worried do I need to be that my young dragon started brumation with parasites and when he was already not eating the best? Tips, tricks, advice, or just take a Xanax? Jk.

Thanks!

105502-5816653566.jpg

105502-6631753421.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks nice and healthy. Pinworms are fairly common but it's still good that you got them identified and treated. Since his weight is remaining stable it probably is brumation. I would keep his weight tracked along with his eating schedule (I do this too) so you can reference it and be sure. My guy is just starting to come out of brumation and didn't lose any weight this year. Other years he's lost up to 4% with no ill effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom