Prepping for a Wellness Visit to the Vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I found a vet on https://arav.org/ for Figment, and we're going in for a fecal check and wellness exam on Saturday. What sorts of questions should I have prepared to ask the vet? I'm going to assume his fecal will come back with worms because he does eat a lot of crickets; I remember someone saying to request X medicine rather than Y medicine because Y is harsh on their system... but I can't remember what the preferred meds for worms are.

What else should I expect from this visit, or do to prepare for the visit? The vet has asked me to bring photos of Figment's home so she can go over his at-home care, which I thought was a good sign.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Personally my first questions are more so to assess the vets knowledge. So many vets really just aren't that knowledgeable on dragons or exotics. And by now, you should have a pretty decent understanding of what is good advice and what is bad advice. Or, simply put, what is advise you simply just don't agree with.

The key to a good vet relationship is that you trust the vet, and that you feel comfortable with the vet. Difference in opinions on care are fine, but you still need to feel comfortable with your vet and their general philosophies towards care and husbandry.

It is a good sign though that your vet wants to go over your husbandry. Many don't realize just how important certain aspects of husbandry are. This will be a good test for your vet IMO.

As far as getting a fecal sample, remember most dragons will have some small amount of parasites present. However, they don't really need to be treated unless numbers are high or they are symptomatic. And some medicines are harsher than others, but different parasites have different meds prescribed. So it will really just come down to what is found, and most importantly, the counts of the parasites. It's a risk to reward scenario. Does the risk of treatment outway the potential reward? Or, is the risk worth it because the counts are too high and it could lead to issues down the road? A good vet (and any good DR when it comes to your own health) should have this mentality.

All in all, I think the most important thing for you to do with this visit is decide if this is a vet you want a relationship with, or not. That way if something ever comes up in the future, you know you have someone you can trust. Or, you know you need to find someone else.

Great question by the way!
P.s. These are just my opinions on the matter. I'm sure others might have differing opinions or advice. Great topic for discussion.

-Brandon

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback, Brandon - I'm really hoping this vet knows her stuff, because she's the closest exotic vet close to me who's listed on the ARAV site. There IS another vet closer who advertises that he takes beardies, but I feel more comfortable with a vet who is a member of a reputable organization. I know there's no sure way of knowing if she's any good until I meet her, but I've read so many vet horror stories on this site that I'm a bit anxious!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's part of the purpose of the wellness visits - to establish a relationship with a vet you like and trust. That goes a long way if and when an emergency surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom