Lost Tip of Tail. BONE Exposed. (Vet appt Friday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing this evening? I am sure her tail is a little sore but do keep some type of
ointment on it if possible.
I am so sorry she is still having so much trouble with her breathing & discharge. Something
is definitely going on with her. I hope she is able to sleep since she is probably having some
trouble breathing.
Using the temp gun directly on her wont hurt her at all.
It is hard to keep the humidity down. You can possibly consider using a dehumidifier in the
room to help dry out the air a little bit for her. That's good you are able to keep her a little bit
warmer overnight also. It is starting to get cold in a lot of areas here in the US.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

hmwyer

Original Poster
Yes, I've been putting neosporin on it every day. Today she is just lying there and being miserable. Poor baby. But the appt is 14 hrs away so hopefully it goes well. Since she has a bad RI I am going to demand an xray to be sure of no pneumonia issues. I will request a copy and post it on probably the other topic I have open discussing her RI issues when I get it. I have photo proof of the RI and she is finally obviously sick when I will bring her this time, so they can't say she's fine this time. I think she is sleeping a little, but I'm sure it's a restless sleep. :(
Oh, good to know about the temp gun being fine. I will look into a dehumidifier for her as well. Yeah, it's been like 40 and 50 already here in WV and it's only going to get colder sadly. >.< Luckily I have a heater that I turn on low in the room at night and it helps it stay warm in here.
Tomorrow is going to be a long day with about 4 hrs total driving, not including how long I may be at the vet, so I'm really crossing my fingers the appt goes well and they figure something out finally. If I get a brush off on anything, be sure I will push back and demand some treatment for her, but in her state I can't imagine I will have issues.
She has stomatitis now worse than before because of her illness, if he prescribes like baytril or some antibiotics will that also clear up her mouth or you think she will need something else for that?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope the vet appointment goes well.
If she can't breathe very good at night then she is probably not sleeping much.
Wow it is really starting to get cold there at night. I'm glad you have a heater you can use
for her room, too.
Be sure to wrap her up when you travel to the vets! Yes, I agree. I wouldn't leave without
some guidance & or solid answers & treatment. If they give baytril for her mouth issues, that
should treat it & hopefully clear up the stomatitis, yes.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

hmwyer

Original Poster
Quick recap. Went to the vet, he found about 4 other issues that he found way more pressing and said the tail was the least of her concerns and it looked to be healing up nicely and didn't seem to think the bone would be an issue and would heal up okay. She's going back in 9 days for a recheck on everything else, so if it's an issue by then, we'll work on it. He didn't even care enough about the tail due to everything else to even ask or speculate on how this could have happened. For a WAYYY more in depth explanation on her verdict today please check out my other post that began with an RI call to help and has now taken an egg bound turn......It makes feel like an awful owner, but I just need to hope for the best, learn from my shortsightedness, and move on to helping her be 100% again. I hope anyone reading that post will learn from what I did/didn't do and that it may help someone else in need. It is super in depth, but I like to be thorough so no on reading it 8 years from now has any potentially unanswered questions. Thanks everyone for your comments on this subject! Should the bone being exposed present an issue later on, I will post it for sure so that anyone reading this has a heads up on what to do! If you do not see any follow ups by about a month, it's been healed and has had no lasting effects. Thanks again!!

https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=249975

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I just read through your other story & will comment on that one too. I am glad that her tail is
healing & doing well! I'll make a few comments towards your story.
I hope Spyro is doing better.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw that's too bad, the tail rot was there all along + worked it's way up. See, that happens under the scales [ tissue being destroyed ] at times like in your case here. That will definitely need amputated about a half inch above where the brittle part ends. Hopefully the color further up is just uneven shed. Her beard looks O.K though, just discolored scales + should be no problem.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I was also wondering how she was doing?
I hope she has kicked any infection that was present & is eating well, too. Let us know how
things are going!

Tracie

hmwyer

Original Poster
Oh, hey! Yes, well, 2 vet visits last week, and they switched her to antibiotic shots and convinced me to wait on her tail. They said it looked more like an injury to the tail than a true "infection". And she was worried if we cut it off now she would have anesthesia issues with the RI still in play and and if the injury was higher up that cutting it off right now would just cause it to progress if it was a deep higher up internal injury to the tail. I said I figured this was it for the tail and tried to convince her to do a local on it but she didn't feel comfortable cutting that high up on her tail with just a local. Had it been lower, yes. So, we are monitoring it and will get it sorted in 3 ish weeks when her stitches come out if they feel she can handle anesthesia by then.
RI is still there, but not as bad as last week! I had to rush her to vet Wednesday because she threw up food and mucous Tuesday night and got the shots then. The. Went back Friday to discuss her tail issue. So hopefully these shots to the trick so we can get her tail taken care of. Currently it has officially died to about an inch from the gray line, but not fallen off yet and shows no signs of doing so at present. Food wise, I offer her a salad every day now hoping she will eat on her own and when she doesn't I have made a mash/slurry of greens and squash that she is actually eating, so I've finally begun switching her back to the taste of greens! Now if only I could get to realize it's the same stuff that is in her food dish....weight is down sadly to about 350 from 420 grams a few months ago, but that I think is due in part to her RI and surgery just draining her and the loss of the eggs took from her "true" weight.
Oddly enough though, she seems a lot more spunky than she used to be, so I think that's something!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Goodness, well that is mixed news. So for now I guess she will hopefully recover from the
RI right now.
Since there isn't any evidence of infection then it should technically just eventually fall off
once it's dried out.
How many shots do you have to do on her?
I think that this is a good idea to wait just to be sure she is over the respiratory issues, but
maybe she wont have any tail issues anymore.
Is she starting to eat on her own much yet? I'm happy to hear she is more active though, I
definitely think that's a good sign.

Tracie

hmwyer

Original Poster
Yes, I hope so too on the tail. It still hasn't progressed anymore in 2 weeks, nor has it fallen off. As a matter of fact, the gray line appears to be lightening up. Either that or I've been staring at it too much and it's just wishful thinking. ?
I think it was a total of 7 shots of ceftazidime every 3 days and I have 4 left now. Also, I posted a new thread about this, but I'll ask here in case anyone reads this first. Would it be counter productive for her to be on those shots but for me to also give her serrapeptase as well? I am currently, but I thought.....if the shots are drying it up and the serrapeptase is thinning it, is that making things worse?
Food wise, still not eeying on her own. No changes there. Still offering but she's just not having it. Still needing hand fed.
I have been putting her in a playpen with lights and all that's about 3 times the size of her enclosure for a few hours so she can have a bit less supervised time to run. She seems to like it. Also, still in the house and room for the most part, but I did that so she could run around a big area without watching for where she ran off to or making sure no cats are in the room/area as they can't get to her now. She likes it, but I don't do it all day as I discovered after 2 days of her being out 6-8 hrs it doesn't keep as hot as the enclosure (though I can get her uvb closer to her this way) about 5-7 degrees less, so I just do a few hrs now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom