CHE - placement in 18" high viv

Status
Not open for further replies.

RastaDragon

hi everyone,

so i finally received my viv yesterday - its currently 3/4 built at home with the sealant drying overnight.

when i get home from work tonight it will be ready for me to set up the lighting etc.. which brings me to my question.

i am not sure where i should place the CHE - i had intended to put it in the back corner of the hot end but i miss-judged the distance taken up by the bulb holder + bracket and using the lamp guard would bring it waaaaaay to close to anything around it.

so i wanted to ask - is it ok to use a CHE without a guard so long as it is placed where there is absolutely no way that my baby could reach it?

i was thinking either put it next to the basking bulb (i.e centre of the ceiling i guess about 12" along - in a 4ft viv) or maybe put it in the FRONT corner tucked up between the top plinth thing and the ceiling - there will be no furniture there so no chance of him / her being able to touch it?

thank you all so much
RD.
:D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My CHE sits on top of the screen and in the middle of the tank ---- its been on since we got really cold 24/7 -- keeps my tanks around 70 at nite w/ all the lights off --- I dont have it inside the tank ---
Karrie

RastaDragon

Original Poster
hi Karrie,

thanks for the reply - my viv is a 48" x 18" x 18" wood viv with glass front sliding doors, so it has to be installed inside.

i hadn't correctly calculated exactly how low the CHE fitting would be if i put it inside a bulb guard cage thingy.

if i put it in the centre of the ceiling WITHOUT a guard but with nothing around to enable my little one to be able to get near enough to touch it - would that be ok?

thank you!
RD.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
As long as he cant get to it he should be fine -- are you putting it in a dome or just the bare bulb? I have seen bare bulbs in tanks w/ a cage around the bulb but I never even thought of doing it that way mine has always been in a dome and sat on top of tank --
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You might want to consider a heat projector (MegaRay and Arcadia make them) rather than a CHE. They don't run as hot on the surface (but still project plenty of heat) so the burn risk is lessened. I keep mine over the cool end (which turns it into the 'warm' end overnight at around 70-73f using an on/off thermostat).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom