Beardie Has never been nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, long time sense ive posted on here about my mean little girl. She's not very little anymore and she is still very mean. I make a point to atleast pet her everyday "and by pet i mean Dodge getting bit untill she finally lets me touch her a few times" and try to hold her atleast once a week for about 15 minutes. She still hates me. Nothing g seems to work and to be honest I'm begging to give up. Any suggestions?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How old is she? And what kind of lighting do you have in her tank ? Lighting and basking temps play a huge role in their behavior
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What about UVB? Brand and bulb? They are normally not aggressive - how are you taking temps? Infrared heat gun stick ons digital probe? Any colored bulbs?
Karrie

JacobsDragons01

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3exc7yfc said:
What about UVB? Brand and bulb? They are normally not aggressive - how are you taking temps? Infrared heat gun stick ons digital probe? Any colored bulbs?
Karrie
Yes she has brand new uvb and i have two separate thermometers and a heat gun i check for temps with. She was neglected before i got her. That definitely is part of the problem .

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Brand new UVB ? what brand and bulb please---- how long have you had her? The only thing I can say is patience --- I have had my baby since Sept and he is just now coming around to where hes letting us pick him up and pet him w/ out hissing and trying to bite etc...........he was 7 weeks old when we got him and now hes 6 months ---- so it has been the same routine w/ him since we got him and hes learning to trust ---- my guess if she was abused early on shes got trust issues and you will haft to continue to learn to get her to trust you ---
Karrie

JacobsDragons01

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1lrp5770 said:
Brand new UVB ? what brand and bulb please---- how long have you had her? The only thing I can say is patience --- I have had my baby since Sept and he is just now coming around to where hes letting us pick him up and pet him w/ out hissing and trying to bite etc...........he was 7 weeks old when we got him and now hes 6 months ---- so it has been the same routine w/ him since we got him and hes learning to trust ---- my guess if she was abused early on shes got trust issues and you will haft to continue to learn to get her to trust you ---
Karrie

She has a 120w basking bulb and a 75whatt uvb and hear light she is healthy and I've been told by my local exotics vet her cage is perfect if anything too big ?. It's deffently a trust issue i was just wondering if there are any good tips to maybe calm her down a bit before handling so it is a little bit more bareable on my part.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Poor kids (both of you!). I've seen suggestions here about holding/cuddling them when they're sleepy. Other things you can try if you haven't already:
If she has a favorite treat you're aware of, like a blueberry or a waxworm, you could offer those from your hand, or if you need to start slower, let her see your hand place them near her. Get a tiny bit closer each time, until she will take them from your hand. Just don't overdo the treats.
Wear an old tshirt for at least several hours so it has your scent, and then set it bunched up in the tank where she can lie on it if she chooses to. It may help her associate your scent with comfort.
Try to stop thinking of her as mean, and instead think of her as understandably afraid/untrusting due to her previous situation. You never know what "vibes" they might pick up from you, and if you're tense/nervous when you're trying to handle her, she may be feeling that.
Talk to her whenever you're near, in a calm, soothing way. It may help her get more comfortable with you. Just try to be patient, don't take it personally, and keep trying! :0)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That will take time as well-- please review your lighting+- I have a 6 month old that I got at 7 weeks-- he was very aggressive and would run and hiss-- he has just now started to calm down no more hissing and trying to bite but the one thing we have been constant w/ is the same routine- hand feeding hands in the tank holding him you can put a piece of clothing in the tank that has your scent on it--- it's going to take patience-- just work w/ him everyday- it's gonna be a trust issue and him getting over his fear
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom