Does Her Beard Look Off? Fungus? Also, Baffling Tail Issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmwyer

I'm just going to post pictures of her tail, beard, also now an odd looking toe.
I'm not sure what is up with any of this, so any input is great. Yes, I've sent these to the vet, she hasn't seen them yet as her email wasn't working properly today, but will get back to me when she sees them.
Just looking for insight here in case the vet is stumped so that I can make suggestions to her.
And, yes, the tip of the tail already fell off, healed up mostly before looking like this now.
94216-4934793459.jpg
When it first started turning after the initial tip fell off.
94216-4806743800.jpg
Turning white with a grey band towards the base of the tail. (Thought at first it was shed as the scales were loose. I took what I thought was shed off, then it turned to this...... O.O And obviously I stopped touching it. But after every betadine soak I notice the "healthy scales" near the gray shriveled tip are loose...)
94216-5624591755.jpg
94216-7574215932.jpg

94216-2125867256.jpg
94216-6964218612.jpg
94216-1236343305.jpg
Toe nail and scales around the nail are just not right. Looks like she got her nail caught on the carpet maybe when running around and hurt the nail.....but also I noticed another faint grey band just like on her tail. It's hard to see in the pictures, but I see it in person.
94216-7266978184.jpg
For reference, this was her tail right after the tip fell off.

hmwyer

Original Poster
94216-8687669588.jpg
94216-3004413960.jpg
94216-1612688415.jpg
94216-6003000503.jpg
94216-4708754779.jpg
This is her beard. The right side is definitely off, and the underside looks spotty yellow and grey and the scales are messed up, and I don't recall it ever looking like that. I'm wondering could all of these things (tail, beard, and maybe her toe) be a fungal infection or a side effect of her Yolk Peritonitis she had and is being treated with baytril for following egg removal/spay surgery??

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I replied on your other thread. Her beard just looks a little discolored + disheveled, the tail def. needs attention and should have been amputated back when you first posted, I understand the vet's hesitancy but now the rot has spread upwards. Poor girl, one thing after another.

hmwyer

Original Poster
I agree on the tail part, but both vets literally ignored her tail every time and said it wasn't a concern at that time. They could've easily cut it while she was in for surgery....but too late now. :/ I hope they can just do a local numbing shot on the tail to amputate so she won't need anesthesia again so soon. I'll be calling soon to see if she has seen the pictures. They close at 12 so hopefully she can look at them today.
Do you think it should be cut off above the gray line though? I feel like the grey line is where it's ended because last time it fell off at the grey line then.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I doubt the rot has gone up that high, but there is definitely some rot at the tip. They can always make multiple cuts. Start with just a small portion and see how the flesh looks. And work their way up if they need to.

IMO putting honey on the tip works better than the betadine, but that's just me.

I agree, the beard doesn't look concerning to me. But I would definitely make sure the vet knows the tail is a priority.

-Brandon

hmwyer

Original Poster
I can use honey, but if it needs to be manuka honey, I'll need to order that. I called the vet again, but she's in with another patient and will call me back when she's available.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How is she since her surgery, gaining strength, moving eating ? And how's her breathing ? I really don't know how far up the damage is under the scales, it's made more difficult to determine because of the visual demarcation where the color is different up high on the tail.

hmwyer

Original Poster
She's better ish since the surgery. Walking a bit better. Still kind of not right, but the stitches might be throwing her off a bit. Also, her RI came back so they said to keep using the baytril for a month and to call if she runs out, but I'm just ordering it online from Tracie as well as manuka honey. Her website has an option of 2.5 or 10% solution not sure which the vet gave me so I emailed her and asked which one I should order. As for food, she is eating the slurry but in paste from again spread on butternut squash. So we are almost to fully solid foods. ^_^

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is she doing today?
It is very hard to determine the damage on the tail. She is probably uncomfortable with the
stitches in. When are they coming out?
I'll be getting your meds sent out on saturday for you so hopefully you will it quickly.
Let me know if you need help with dosing. l mixed up the 10% as you ordered, is that what
you have been using?
That's great she is eating a bit more.

Tracie

hmwyer

Original Poster
She's doing okay today. I have been soaking her still with the betadine and I noticed a few things......one, more of the shed came off as I was wiping her tail this time. It definitely looked like a shed compared to the first time, but sadly the scales underneath were still soft......I put neosporin all over the tail and I guess well see if that bit shrivels up too. Also noticed a dent or something of that sort on the underside of the tail right at 2 weird looking scales. Also noticed when I gently move the tail upwards it kind of makes a slight S curve. I tried taking pictures of this, but none do it justice. I'm letting her rest now and will try to get better pictures later.
As far as the baytril, I'm not sure really. I just guessed. The vet never called me back like they said she would, so I couldn't ask and the bottle doesn't say the %. All it says is:
"300mg/15ml enroflaxin 100" and then dosage instructions. I just guessed.
And the stitches are due to come out about the middle of January. Haven't been able to make the appt yet, but the vet said middle of January, so between the 13-17th I would imagine.

hmwyer

Original Poster
Here's the best pictures I could get of her tail today.

94216-4672051342.jpg
The dent I'm referring to is slightly noticable here, but none really do the dent justice. And the dent, for reference, is exactly where the 2 weird scales are located in the next picture.
94216-3225960820.jpg
94216-9354948010.jpg
94216-8625277853.jpg

I'm beginning to think this is from stuck shed as I recall the bigger part of her tail was the only part that shed last time and it was in kind of a similar shape to how the gray line is forming, but I just don't get why, if that's the case, the scales underneath are all soft and gray. Are they just not fully form, but for some reason still coming off and at the same time some who cutting off circulation? Idk. I'll keep on with just monitoring and when I get the manuka honey in I'll use that instead and if it worsens I will take her to the vet before the stitches are due to come out. Hopefully if it comes down to amputation, which I would at least like some of the tail cut off up to healthy tissue, then hopefully that's doable under a local shot and not full blown anesthesia again. Cause idt she could get lucky enough to make it through twice, and so soon after the last.

hmwyer

Original Poster
Beard still looks weird. Also, now those soft scales have hardened......and that part of her tail is stiff too.....I'm calling the vet asap tomorrow, but just giving an update.
94216-7164914752.jpg
94216-718828985.jpg
94216-449839421.jpg

hmwyer

Original Poster
Oh sorry! Just now saw this! Well, to make a long story short-ish.....she had surgery in November on her eggs that were bound....made it through that. Her RI came back and we're still fighting that. Her tail issues have spread and stopped about a little over halfway up her tail. Vet thinks it is a circulatory issue, stays showed no other trauma and it is not stuck shed. Sadly, they can't amputate the dead part until her RI is gone or she won't make it through the anesthesia in her current state. So in the meantime I'm keeping it clean and it now appears to finally be dying off enough to begin to split and possibly fall off st the dead part. I got back February after her shots are done again to see if she's finally fit to get her tail amputated. She is also Adenovirus positive and I'm working to get that cleared up/managed as well. She's got a lot going on still, but she is a trooper and fighting and learning to walk a bit more and get muscle strength back after not wanting to walk for so long and she's eating more now.and finally seeming to gain weight. It's still long road, but she's slowly getting there as long as she can get past this RI. Oh, a d the beard looks weirder now and the vet has no real answer for it other than it could be like due to all of her other issues just causing her to get a weird spot. I forget what she called it, but she did have a name for it. I'm not so sure on that though. ?‍♀️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom