DYING BEARDIE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rubix, my healthy beardie (until now), is dying. I went down to give them their evening worms and thought he was already dead. He was splatted out under the basking bulb with his eyes closed, beard out and black. He regurgitated superworm goo from last night. Didn't eat anything today yet, but that's not unusual because he doesn't really like greens and that's what they get in the morning. He's in my bra right now. I can't get him into the vet tonight. What can I do? He is dying right?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, sorry to read this. :( How many + what size supers was he eating ? Remember that baby dragons can't have many supers + they can't be fed as a staple. He may just be feeling very sick. Offer some water slowly dripped on his snout, vomiting is very dehydrating. He may not drink at first but, drip, stop, repeat. He needs fluids. Do this in his tank .

MugglesMom

Original Poster
I give 4-5 supers a day. I pick out the smaller ones. I was unaware they cant be fed as a staple, which is unfortunate because I have started to breed them (the superworms). I also give an occasional mealworm (which I know they can't have a lot of), phoenix worms and I'm trying to get a dubia colony going.

Also, I know I'm going to get hate for this... I hate myself... but I want to get the best advice I can get, so I have to admit this. His tail was about to shed and I took it upon myself to "help it along." I think he may be in pain because my dumb... self.... did that and it's now very raw. Didn't look like that as I was doing it, or of course I would've stopped.

I have carnivore care, critical care, benebac and bee pollen, just so you know. I have him in my bra right now, so I should put him up? He has nestled himself way down in there lol. Should I leave the lights on? He's becoming more active, eyes opened, beard still black.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah I mentioned earlier in the thread that it's too hard for a small somewhat underweight dragon to digest them. Knock of the mealworms, too unless they or the supers are just freshly shed, soft as butter + light colored. You can ut raw honey on the tail , it's a natural antimicrobial . Can you post pics of the tail ? And yes, put him in the and get some water in him. If he'll take the C. Care , mix with extra water.

MugglesMom

Original Poster
This isn't the underweight dragon I posted about before. This is my healthy dragon. And I meant waxworms, not mealworms, I'm sorry. I will be sure to pick out the freshly shed supers. Are the phoenix worms ok? He just took 1 cc of water and has perked up some. It is the Carnivore Care I should do by itself, right? Do I need to leave the light on for 2 hours after giving the CC? I don't have raw honey, but I have SSD (silversulfadyazine???) ointment. Is that okay?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Silver cream is fine. :) And yes, leave lights on for at least 2 hours after any food, hydration. I didn't know about the other dragon Rubix missed that along the way. How old + what size is he ?

MugglesMom

Original Poster
He is same age but 10g or so smaller. I rescued him because he was thin. They live separately.

We are going to the vet. Didn't think I had a ride but I do.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So if he's same size then the superworm size also affected him. Most likely doesn't really need a vet, just a break from the supers and some hydration, silver cream on the tail, that's about it. Vet = stress so hopefully this won't end badly.

MugglesMom

Original Poster
Vet said he was so full of worms that she didn't even have to search for them when she looked under the microscope. She sent him home with four meds and told me to forcefeed him 3 times daily. Unfortunately he was already too far gone and he just died in my arms.

I'm taking stool samples for everyone in tomorrow. We already treated my other beardie because his belly is distended too. I didn't know that meant worms. Stupid mistake that cost Rubix his life. Won't ever happen again.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh poor little one, I am so sorry for your loss. :cry:
Things like this happen, sometimes & he was likely ill when you got him if his fecal exam
revealed those type of results.
It is the worse feeling in the world, to lose one.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
So sorry to hear this. :( Did the vet get a fecal at the office and did they do any type of treatment there ? How is the other little guy doing ? What 4 meds. did the vet give you ?

MugglesMom

Original Poster
I took a fecal when we went in. They gave him glucose, and b12 and calcium injections. I think she said an iron injection too, but I can't swear on that. I know for sure on the others. She sent home panacur, albon, glucose (I think it's called dextrose), and something else that's for motility. Also got critical care. I already had carnivore care at home and she wanted me to mix them. Also already had benebac at home. Tango is doing fine. Still crazy :lol: I got the panacur and albon in him last night. Been collecting fecals all day today to take in tomorrow (in the fridge in case I can't get anything fresher). Good thing I have a fridge just for the animals haha.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dang I am so sorry for your loss.

I'd make sure you feel comfortable with this vet before continuing on with them. IMO it's kind of bad practice to food the system so quickly like that on a dragon that is already doing so poorly. A lot of times the shock is just too much for their systems and they shut down.

Either way, it's a tragedy and I'm sorry you had to go through that.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom