Lighting help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted before but need more help. So i upgraded my dragon to a 40 gal slide top tank. I initially got a 100w mercury vapor basking light and it was not hot enough (turned out it was a bad bulb). So i switched for just a plain 100 basking bulb. UVB is reptisun T5HO 10.0 and its 9 inches from basking spot (it sits on top of the screen).

So my issue is the basking spot is a toasty 102-105 ...the hot side is about 82-84 and the cool side is 76-78. I am worried about the hot and cold side temps being too low. I am still new to this.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If you could post some pictures of your tank so we can see lighting placement, etc.
What type of thermometer are you using to measure the temperatures with?
The basking temperatures can be in a range of 95-105 with a cooler end of around
78-82. The ambient temperatures of the tank should be around 82 or so. It sounds
like to me your temperatures are fine.

Tracie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is fine. your dragon goes to the basking site to warm up. From there the other most important temperature is your cool side and you just want to make sure your cool side isnt too hot, which it isn't.

The type of tank you have and how well it's insulated has a big effect on tank temps.

Somebody literally asked the same question yesterday I thought it was you LOL. I was confused why you were asking again haha. I had to go back and double check because your question was almost the exact same situation as the other posters.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=252440

-Brandon

hellabombskies

Original Poster
claudiusx":k4pytevw said:
That is fine. your dragon goes to the basking site to warm up. From there the other most important temperature is your cool side and you just want to make sure your cool side isnt too hot, which it isn't.

The type of tank you have and how well it's insulated has a big effect on tank temps.

Somebody literally asked the same question yesterday I thought it was you LOL. I was confused why you were asking again haha. I had to go back and double check because your question was almost the exact same situation as the other posters.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=252440

-Brandon

To be fair, i did have a similar post but I couldn’t find it lol...then i found it after i made this one, and couldn’t figure out how to delete this post. :lol: still a noob to the forums and beardy life. Glad to hear i am not the only one tho :blob5:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh it's not a problem at all. The problem was mine as I thought I had already answered YOU in particular, then realized it was someone else haha :D We don't mind questions being asked here :)

-Brandon

hellabombskies

Original Poster
claudiusx":10m3u651 said:
Oh it's not a problem at all. The problem was mine as I thought I had already answered YOU in particular, then realized it was someone else haha :D We don't mind questions being asked here :)

-Brandon

Awesome thank you

hellabombskies

Original Poster
Okay one more question while I’m here. How do i lower the humidity? It’s 46%. I have a sock full of rice in there which brought it down from 49%. No water dish in there. Should i shine a light on the cool side to dry it out a bit?

hellabombskies

Original Poster
Here is her setup. I know the UVB is on top but its a reptisun T5HO 10.0 which i was told on this forum is okay to have on top of the screen if its 8-10 inches from the basking spot, which i have made sure it is. Basking bulb is 100w and measures At 101-107F (107 is the highest its gotten). Warm side is about 90F according to probe thermometer (i was using analog when i first posted this) and cool side is measuring at 78.6F. Humidity is 15-20% on the basking and hot side...but cold side is 46% after putting the rice sock in there.

full

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's not a worrisome humidity level at all. Your setup sounds just fine :)

-Brandon

hellabombskies

Original Poster
claudiusx":25uht69v said:
That's not a worrisome humidity level at all. Your setup sounds just fine :)

-Brandon

It’s not? I thought that it couldn’t be higher than 40%? What level is worrisome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom