About BD nails/claws

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
106785-3114400595.jpg
While reading I see that some have nails and some don't? I was amazed to find some don't.
My Petey has serious nails and draws blood with them. I'm wondering about a trim but don't feel he's tame enough to tolerate it without ripping me up. Anyone that trims the nails have any advice on this?
Trying to get pics but still can't see them well.
-Dee
106785-2428310076.jpg
106785-4202932133.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have never trimmed Hiccups nails as I have him on slated ceramic tile and the tile seems to keep the nails down --- if I were to have them done it would be at the vets office - I know some on here might have a better idea for you on how to trim them --
Karrie

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Bearded dragons should have nails just like yours does. Unless there was trauma where a toe was permanently damaged there should be nails. Most of the nail has a nerve and bloodflow. If you did trim the nail it would only be something small like 1mm to nub the tip. The nail has a black topside and clear underside (in most dragons). At the end the tip tapers to a finer point, only that fine point can be clipped without harming the dragon.

Add slate tiles as a floor is one method people use so the stone naturally nubs the tips of the nails.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
DorgEndo":16tt4ixz said:
Bearded dragons should have nails just like yours does. Unless there was trauma where a toe was permanently damaged there should be nails. Most of the nail has a nerve and bloodflow. If you did trim the nail it would only be something small like 1mm to nub the tip. The nail has a black topside and clear underside (in most dragons). At the end the tip tapers to a finer point, only that fine point can be clipped without harming the dragon.

Add slate tiles as a floor is one method people use so the stone naturally nubs the tips of the nails.
Thank you both! Looking at the nails you can see the bloodline goes to the tip, that concerned me since I have trimmed dog and cat nails forever.
He'll have his tile next week so that should take care of a little bit of the sharp tips, I hope.
Thanks!
-Dee

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I only covered about half the floor with my girl's tank with tiles and it still worked to get that tip dulled.

You are right about the quick like a dog or cat nail. My vet told me to use quick stop exact same as dog or cat nails if I was trimming them. I did trim her nails, but tiles are so much easier. Always trimmed down with tile :D

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
DorgEndo":9lyir8k6 said:
I only covered about half the floor with my girl's tank with tiles and it still worked to get that tip dulled.

You are right about the quick like a dog or cat nail. My vet told me to use quick stop exact same as dog or cat nails if I was trimming them. I did trim her nails, but tiles are so much easier. Always trimmed down with tile :D
Being that he's not comfortable being held yet, tiles are definitely better for us. I get enough wounds at bath time. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom