?? About dandelion greens

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

?? About dandelion greens

Postby DragonPete » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:41 am

Hi all!
I was wondering about feeding my boy Petey young, tender dandelion greens. I've noticed people recommending them in the 'greens' category.
I live in NC USA and dandelions grow year round in my yard. I mean I have an abundance! I have never seen them for sale here.
I went and picked a few small, tender leaves, soaked them in vinegar water and rinsed well. He loves them! They have not been sprayed with any chemical or poison. I'm the only one that takes care of the yard, so I'm sure.
Opinion? This ok?
-Dee
-Dee
DragonPete
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: ?? About dandelion greens

Postby JumpinJellyfish » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:07 am

I think the only other concern would be if there's "drift" from chemical treatments in any neighboring yards. I have found fresh (bagged) organic dandelion greens and also watercress at Publix here in Florida. Not sure if you have Publix there?
Never knew I could get so happy about poop, or so comfortable with bugs. :-D
JumpinJellyfish
Hatchling Poster

Postby claudiusx » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:13 am

Washing them under water is fine, you dont need to use vinegar water. And like mentioned, the only concern would be fertilizers and pesticides.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
claudiusx

Postby DragonPete » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:15 am

JumpinJellyfish wrote:I think the only other concern would be if there's "drift" from chemical treatments in any neighboring yards. I have found fresh (bagged) organic dandelion greens and also watercress at Publix here in Florida. Not sure if you have Publix there?

I think the closest Publix is at least 30 miles from me. Love Publix! Grew up in FL.
-Dee
DragonPete
Hatchling Poster

Postby DragonPete » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:24 am

claudiusx wrote:Washing them under water is fine, you dont need to use vinegar water. And like mentioned, the only concern would be fertilizers and pesticides.

-Brandon

Thanks hon. I use vinegar water on just about all my veggies anyway. As a rinse.
As for the yard, I live in a MH park and all that is done is mowing. Few of the resident's do anything, besides me, and no one near me even weed eats or edges so I'm really not concerned about that. No perfect yards around here! Mine is one of the nicest and I only use any type of chemical for fire ants. I know where I put that. No one around me even does that. Believe me if I had any concern I wouldn't give them to my boy. 😃
-Dee
DragonPete
Hatchling Poster

Postby JumpinJellyfish » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:01 am

DragonPete wrote:
JumpinJellyfish wrote:I think the only other concern would be if there's "drift" from chemical treatments in any neighboring yards. I have found fresh (bagged) organic dandelion greens and also watercress at Publix here in Florida. Not sure if you have Publix there?

I think the closest Publix is at least 30 miles from me. Love Publix! Grew up in FL.

I'm a long-ago-transplanted yankee, but I love it here!
Never knew I could get so happy about poop, or so comfortable with bugs. :-D
JumpinJellyfish
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Feeding