About temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Hi! I wondered if my house being set at 68 is ok at night. I understand in tank temps but with his lights off at night, it will drop to ambient temp I'm guessing.
I upped my heat when I got him, from 65 to 68 because it concerned me. I don't use a lot of heat in winter and hoping 68 is ok. Opinions?
Thanks all!
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi dee,

That is perfectly fine. 60-65 overnight is fine for them. Honestly my house typically gets below 65 at night.

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":39coiy0k said:
Hi dee,

That is perfectly fine. 60-65 overnight is fine for them. Honestly my house typically gets below 65 at night.

-Brandon
Thanks Brandon. Didn't want him too cold. Fixed income have to watch expenses. Summer AC set at 76, so that should be fine.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DragonPete":99qep5j1 said:
claudiusx":99qep5j1 said:
Hi dee,

-Brandon
Thanks Brandon. Didn't want him too cold. Fixed income have to watch expenses. Summer AC set at 76, so that should be fine.
24 deg C ( same as 76 F) is fine.

If you want to save some money on daytime heating , nudge up the house aircon thermostat setting to 26 degC ( you'll be surprised how much energy will be saved , resulting lower power bills ).
At night when you are in bed , I'd set for 24 degC .

Consider a 7W heatpad to place between some floor tiles under his hide , set it to 32 degC to 36 degC , he'll love it.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3pjc3fci said:
DragonPete":3pjc3fci said:
claudiusx":3pjc3fci said:
Hi dee,

-Brandon

If you want to save some money on daytime heating , nudge up the house aircon thermostat setting to 26 degC ( you'll be surprised how much energy will be saved , resulting lower power bills ).

Consider a 7W heatpad to place between some floor tiles under his hide , set it to 32 degC to 36 degC , he'll love it.
Thank you for the info. Not sure how setting my heat to a higher temp is going to save energy and 26C about 78/79F is too warm for me, summer or winter. I keep it as high in the summer as I can be comfortable with a fan, which is 76 and in winter, as cool as I am comfortable with sweater/jumper? throw blanket. I try not to use energy unless necessary. LOL
If you mean raising the temp in the house would mean using less energy for his lights, I can see that possibility, except his viv isn't on thermostat. I'm guessing his lights are going to use the same energy no matter what the temp in the house is. Just wanted to be sure that 68F wasn't too cold at night. If I'm not understanding something please elaborate, I CAN be dense at times. Blame it on age.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
DragonPete":3osy04co said:
Just wanted to be sure that 68F wasn't too cold at night.
Yup. perfectly fine! Lower is fine too.

I'm a bit confused on the above statement too, so it's not just you haha. Nob is from Australia, so I think the confusion is right now it's summer for him. so maybe he's meaning to set your cooling to 78, as cooling it what is being used in AU right now LOL.

Either way, your dragon will be fine with cooler night time temps. It's good for them anyways to have a cool down period at night.

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":1isq6j6a said:
DragonPete":1isq6j6a said:
Just wanted to be sure that 68F wasn't too cold at night.
Yup. perfectly fine! Lower is fine too.

I'm a bit confused on the above statement too, so it's not just you haha. Nob is from Australia, so I think the confusion is right now it's summer for him. so maybe he's meaning to set your cooling to 78, as cooling it what is being used in AU right now LOL.

Either way, your dragon will be fine with cooler night time temps. It's good for them anyways to have a cool down period at night.

-Brandon
Ahhh ok gotcha. I do understand raising it a couple degrees in summer and lowering a couple in winter saves money. I have done that always. 76F is as low as I can go in summer and that's being under fans 24/7. I tried 78, 77, both left me sticky and I hate sticky. ? Not worth the savings to be miserable. Lol! My concern is Petey at night. I said before I upped my heat to 68 for him, 65 was fine for me in winter, I watch tv under a blanket. ? As long as he's good at 68 Im happy. ?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
68 is fine, so is 65 :)
Like I said (I think I said at least..lol) my house typically gets to the low 60's in the winter. We like to bundle up at night under blankets anyways lol. In the past i've even raised dragons where temps dropped below 60 at night, and they were all ok. However, I tend to agree and advise that no lower than 60-65 is best.

We live on the coast, so basically no houses have AC here. I about die when my temps get above 78 in the summer LOL!
We are spoiled over here.

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":uhcj78ro said:
68 is fine, so is 65 :)
Like I said (I think I said at least..lol) my house typically gets to the low 60's in the winter. We like to bundle up at night under blankets anyways lol. In the past i've even raised dragons where temps dropped below 60 at night, and they were all ok. However, I tend to agree and advise that no lower than 60-65 is best.

We live on the coast, so basically no houses have AC here. I about die when my temps get above 78 in the summer LOL!
We are spoiled over here.

-Brandon
Lucky dog! We had triple digit heat + high humidity, just about every summer! My AC bill is twice my heat bill and that's with a new HVAC and remodeled, well insulated home. There were days it couldn't get below 81 in here and AC was pumping!
Boy did we go off topic! Sorry! ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DragonPete":2grq2ivj said:
kingofnobbys":2grq2ivj said:
DragonPete":2grq2ivj said:
claudiusx":2grq2ivj said:
Hi dee,

-Brandon

Thank you for the info. Not sure how setting my heat to a higher temp is going to save energy and 26C about 78/79F is too warm for me, summer or winter. I keep it as high in the summer as I can be comfortable with a fan, which is 76 and in winter, as cool as I am comfortable with sweater/jumper? throw blanket. I try not to use energy unless necessary. LOL
If you mean raising the temp in the house would mean using less energy for his lights, I can see that possibility, except his viv isn't on thermostat. I'm guessing his lights are going to use the same energy no matter what the temp in the house is. Just wanted to be sure that 68F wasn't too cold at night. If I'm not understanding something please elaborate, I CAN be dense at times. Blame it on age.

General rule of thumb here in Australia is no cooler than 16 degC for adult dragons , 21 degC for hatchlings juvenile dragons OVERNIGHT.

I regard 21 degC as quite chilly .
16 degC is way too cold for my liking.

I like 24 to 28 degC . And don't much mind it as warm as 35 degC so long as the humidity is not high.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":p8529jqj said:
DragonPete":p8529jqj said:
kingofnobbys":p8529jqj said:
DragonPete":p8529jqj said:
claudiusx":p8529jqj said:
Hi dee,

-Brandon

General rule of thumb here in Australia is no cooler than 16 degC for adult dragons , 21 degC for hatchlings juvenile dragons OVERNIGHT.

I regard 21 degC as quite chilly .
16 degC is way too cold for my liking.

I like 24 to 28 degC . And don't much mind it as warm as 35 degC so long as the humidity is not high.

If 24C is 76F that's as warm as I like unless I'm working in my yard or at the beach. I prefer cooler temps, but just want to make sure Petey has the heat he needs to be healthy. ?
Thanks for your help.
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom