My baby won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmargon

Hi all, I'm really hoping someone here can help me out. I got my beardie last Sunday 12/1. He is a little guy only about 3.5 inches long. I have yet for him to eat. I have offered tiny crickets both disabled and abled and nothing, I have offered greens, veggies and fruits and nothing. He is still somewhat active but does sleep a lot. He enjoys his water dish and basking. But baby just won't eat. Basking area is 108 degrees cool area is about 84 degrees. I know I read it may be from the stress of being acclimated in his new home, or that he is still just to little. But at what point should I worry and take him to the vet? Thank you all in advance for your help with this.

Linzloohoo

Hatchling Member
Yea probably relocation stress, it can take them a few weeks to be comfortable. Is he actually drinking the water in his bowl? If not you can take a dropper and drop water on his nose, he should lick it off. If he’s not eating, and they most likely do not drink from a bowl he will be dehydrated. Get some water in him and you’ll immediately see a difference. Also what uvb are you using? If they have the incorrect uvb they will not eat.

Linzloohoo

Hatchling Member
Is it the tube? 5 uvb is not enough for dragons. They need the 10 uvb. That might be your problem right there.

Jmargon

Original Poster
I will get a 10 asap and hopefully it does the trick. Yes the one they sold me is a tube. ?❤️

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please go to user image uploader at top of page in the banner - download pics then at top of message box click on XIMG and click on pic and it should post --- after you get your 10.0 tube please let us know as distance in tank is crucial --- your dragon should be eating not completely stopped eating --- depending on where you had the 5.0 tube is crucial - you can still use it it just needs to be in the tank approx 6-8 inches from basking --- the 10.0 will be better because its stronger but let us know where in the tank you have the UVB - what are his basking temps and how are you taking them? infrared heat gun stick ons or digital probe -- that is another thing that will cause them to quit eating --- temps should be 105-110 for a baby and taken w/ a digital probe or infrared heat gun or both -- NO stick ons they are inaccurate ------------------
Karrie

Jmargon

Original Poster
106813-2487362367.jpg
106813-6300919019.jpg
I am using an infrared gun to take the temps, they are within the recommended range. I'm thinking I may need to get him a taller climber. (I have ordered one). Any suggestions on what else I should add are welcomed.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
His tank is bare--- he needs a hide he probably wont use it but will when he gets older --- Petsmart has great dragon decor -- I recommend this https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5103128?$sclp-prd-main_large$ either the T 8 or a T 5 and you will need a hood / fixture w/ a reflector - you can shop on line like Amazon but this needs to be changed out ASAP for your baby to eat ---- w/ out the proper UVB he will not eat nor will he be able to absorb the calcium he needs ----------------lighting and basking temps in the tank are crucial to the overall health of your dragon----------I am posting a pic of Blazes tank to give you ideas of what you can do w/ your tank
97951-7863920475.jpg
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom