Not Hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfineapple

so i got my beardie a couple of weeks ago. i adopted him from a pet store because he had medical issues. he has been a lot better now eating the appropriate amount of crickets a day which is awesome compared to the fact that before he was only eating about 5. but the problem is, he only eats when tong fed. i have put him in a critter tote with some crickets and he walks to the walls and licks them and puts his head up as if i’m going to tong feed him, but i don’t think he realizes that he can just put his head down and eat. anyone know what i can do to get him to realize that his food is right at his feet??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Are the insects moving ???? Usually the movement gets their attention---------- I would try some dubia roaches ---- see if he will go after those --- you can order them on line from www.dubiaroaches.com - www.abdragons.com -- www.mulberryfarms.com ---- I would get him some BSFL as well they are another great staple feeder and they dont need to be dusted --- you can get them from here www.symtonbsf.com --- the little guy can see correct? maybe hes spoiled that you have been tong feeding him --- can you give us a rundown of his tank and lighting --- we can give you some help w/ your set up if need be you can post a pic of your tank and lighting - https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/click on XIMG at top of message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

kfineapple

Original Poster
he does have a problem with one of his eyes since it is closed probably 80% of the time. but he opens them for feeding time. i have tried roaches, he barely touches them even with tong feeding. he loves his crickets though, but like i said only when tong fed.
he is in a 40 gallon tank and he is 3-6 months old(hard to say because his growth was stunted since he was sick). his basking spot is about 102 degrees at the highest spot and the rest of the tank ranges between 80 and 100. he has the uvb light, a basking light and a night light. i always have a salad available to him and a small dish of water just in case he wants water when i can’t spray him. he also has a hammock, a tree and a rock to climb on.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
please post pics of the tank and lighting --- UVB is it a coil? and night light ? is it colored ? closing the one eye 80% of time ? sounds off ---- we need to see a pic of him as well --- certain lights can cause eye issues -- we need to see lighting please
Karrie

kfineapple

Original Poster
not home right now but i’ll show a picture of him when i’m home. and yea his eye has always been closed. he had medical issues that he just recently recovered from. will post again later.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
You need to turn of any and all illumination at night. The only thing you would need is a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) and, that is only if your house temps go below 65 at night. Your dragon is not resting like it should.
What kind of UVB light are you using? Those screw in UVB bulbs have been known to cause eye irritation, eye infections and, or blindness. I recommend the Reptisun 10.0T5HO or an Arcadia 12%D3.
The basking light and, the UVB (both) have to be over the basking area and on/off at the same time every day, (they like routine) 14 to 15 hrs a day. Screen tops can cut your UVB rates up to 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom