My baby won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmargon

Hi all, I'm really hoping someone here can help me out. I got my beardie last Sunday 12/1. He is a little guy only about 3.5 inches long. I have yet for him to eat. I have offered tiny crickets both disabled and abled and nothing, I have offered greens, veggies and fruits and nothing. He is still somewhat active but does sleep a lot. He enjoys his water dish and basking. But baby just won't eat. Basking area is 108 degrees cool area is about 84 degrees. I know I read it may be from the stress of being acclimated in his new home, or that he is still just to little. But at what point should I worry and take him to the vet? Thank you all in advance for your help with this.

Linzloohoo

Hatchling Member
Yea probably relocation stress, it can take them a few weeks to be comfortable. Is he actually drinking the water in his bowl? If not you can take a dropper and drop water on his nose, he should lick it off. If he’s not eating, and they most likely do not drink from a bowl he will be dehydrated. Get some water in him and you’ll immediately see a difference. Also what uvb are you using? If they have the incorrect uvb they will not eat.

Linzloohoo

Hatchling Member
Is it the tube? 5 uvb is not enough for dragons. They need the 10 uvb. That might be your problem right there.

Jmargon

Original Poster
I will get a 10 asap and hopefully it does the trick. Yes the one they sold me is a tube. ?❤️

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please go to user image uploader at top of page in the banner - download pics then at top of message box click on XIMG and click on pic and it should post --- after you get your 10.0 tube please let us know as distance in tank is crucial --- your dragon should be eating not completely stopped eating --- depending on where you had the 5.0 tube is crucial - you can still use it it just needs to be in the tank approx 6-8 inches from basking --- the 10.0 will be better because its stronger but let us know where in the tank you have the UVB - what are his basking temps and how are you taking them? infrared heat gun stick ons or digital probe -- that is another thing that will cause them to quit eating --- temps should be 105-110 for a baby and taken w/ a digital probe or infrared heat gun or both -- NO stick ons they are inaccurate ------------------
Karrie

Jmargon

Original Poster
106813-2487362367.jpg
106813-6300919019.jpg
I am using an infrared gun to take the temps, they are within the recommended range. I'm thinking I may need to get him a taller climber. (I have ordered one). Any suggestions on what else I should add are welcomed.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
His tank is bare--- he needs a hide he probably wont use it but will when he gets older --- Petsmart has great dragon decor -- I recommend this https://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/PetSmart/5103128?$sclp-prd-main_large$ either the T 8 or a T 5 and you will need a hood / fixture w/ a reflector - you can shop on line like Amazon but this needs to be changed out ASAP for your baby to eat ---- w/ out the proper UVB he will not eat nor will he be able to absorb the calcium he needs ----------------lighting and basking temps in the tank are crucial to the overall health of your dragon----------I am posting a pic of Blazes tank to give you ideas of what you can do w/ your tank
97951-7863920475.jpg
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom