Rusty, The Almighty

This forum is specifically for people who want to share day-to-day stories about their beardies... the weird or fun stuff. This is not a forum for seeking help, but more just for sharing the cuteness that is your beardie.

Re: Rusty, The Almighty

Postby JohnVLillywhite » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:52 pm

KarrieRee wrote:The lighting in the tank is crucial- if it's not correct along w/ basking temps your gonna have issues- I would make sure bulb is exposed and put the fixture in the tank approx 6-8 inches from basking spot- you will see a difference in his behavior they will not eat if lighting etc is not correct
Karrie

I have mounted the UVB fixture inside the tank. I have never had this issue, but I always love learning new things.

Is this too close to the basking site?

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
JohnVLillywhite
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby KarrieRee » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:44 am

Does the hood have a reflector on it? If it does that is good and its 6-8 inches away-- I am not sure how they do the distance from the side - I only know it works w/ the T 8 directly above w/ a reflector and 6-8 inches away- watch his behavior now and see how he acts ---
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby JohnVLillywhite » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:49 am

KarrieRee wrote:Does the hood have a reflector on it? If it does that is good and its 6-8 inches away-- I am not sure how they do the distance from the side - I only know it works w/ the T 8 directly above w/ a reflector and 6-8 inches away- watch his behavior now and see how he acts ---
Karrie

Hopefully he starts eating normally
JohnVLillywhite
Newbie Poster

Postby claudiusx » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:24 pm

If the reptisun was only 4 inches away while on top of the screen, that was ok.
Remember we are after a certain UVI level here, and there are multiple ways to reach that level.

One of those ways is the reptisun being unobstructed (under the mesh) at 6-8 inches away.
Like mentioned, the mesh can block around 30% of the output. So to reach the same UVI level, it needs to be 30% closer. Which is 4-5.5 inches away.

If the bulb is now at his eye level, I'd move it back up. They can really damage their eyes if they are able to be that close, or look eye level at it.

How is he doing now?

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
claudiusx

Postby JohnVLillywhite » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:55 am

claudiusx wrote:If the reptisun was only 4 inches away while on top of the screen, that was ok.
Remember we are after a certain UVI level here, and there are multiple ways to reach that level.

One of those ways is the reptisun being unobstructed (under the mesh) at 6-8 inches away.
Like mentioned, the mesh can block around 30% of the output. So to reach the same UVI level, it needs to be 30% closer. Which is 4-5.5 inches away.

If the bulb is now at his eye level, I'd move it back up. They can really damage their eyes if they are able to be that close, or look eye level at it.

How is he doing now?

-Brandon

He is doing so much better now. Eating like a champ!! He's starting his first shed (on his face), so I truly believe the movement of the UVB lamp changed a lot for him for the better.
JohnVLillywhite
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Beardie Tales