Weird head movements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rairai97

Me and my boyfriend just got a new beardie that is about two months old. We've had Izzy for about a week now and it has gone through its first shed. Izzy eats regularly also uses the bathroom regularly. Sometimes though it's head will tilt to the side then bounce back and it does that for a few minutes then stops. We are new beardie parents and want to know if this is anything to be concerned about. It kind of looks like it's ticking. We feed him dubias roaches, mealworms and calsiworms. We also give em veggies.
106805-8227280718.jpg
106805-5304475459.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Are the dial thermometers the only way your getting temps? And what is the UVB your using I cant really tell what it is -----------tube or a coil??? The tilting of the head is like hes looking at something that is normal - no shaking ? just tilting?
Karrie

Rairai97

Original Poster
It's coil lighting. We also have 2 digital thermometers in there as well. We also have a temp gun that we check it regularly with. The temp stays between 90-100 on the hot spot. In the cool spot it's between 65-75. When it's head tilts it will jerk back slightly, it looks like it's head is ticking.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Basking temps for a baby should be 105-110 and the head ticking could be lack of calcium ---- the coil is not a good bulb -- he basically isnt getting any UVB -- I would get rid of it and get this
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot inside the tank – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
Karrie

Rairai97

Original Poster
Yea that's we were thinking it was, but we weren't sure so we are getting him one this week. Thank you so much.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Keep an eye on him after you change that UVB out and see if it goes away -- are you dusting his bugs w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom