One year old going nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

NelsonBernard

Original Poster
AHBD":3p0chr4a said:
He may just be reacting to his reflection. BTW, are you sure he's a male ? And the tank is definitely not a 180 gallon, more like 50-60 at the most. It's a bit small make sure the temps are not too hot. Reptaboost bath will do nothing for him, he'd have to be drinking quite a bit. He does look healthy though, just going through the hormonal thing. :) Oh, what type of parasites does he have + meds. is he on ?

I've considered that too. I'll have to get a vinyl or something to put on the sides.

I'm pretty sure I've never seen a tank bigger in reptile stores. I'll remeasure when I get in. If mine is 60gal that would mean a 180 is triple the size and it would be half the size of a room.

Yeah he does look healthy, he rarely black beards and looks clean and happy, literally just the surfing.

The vet said he has worm eggs in the faecal sample i sent in so sent me two doses of medicine that I need to try and syringe in his mouth.

This is a photo of the tank from further away. Obviously the decor isnt like that now.

102389-4372630147.jpg

NelsonBernard

Original Poster
KarrieRee":ed9b6at3 said:
What kind of UVB are you using and is it on top of the screen or inside the tank? I cant see it --- and the tank almost looks to small for him --- that could be why he is surfing the walls all the time but I need to know what your using for a UVB--- lighting plays a big role in their behavior --- so if we can get that ruled out --
Karrie

Its an Arcadia UVB 12% strip light that goes the full length of his tank along the inside the tank. Ive been told on this forum before that its one of the best and the internet tends to agree.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It is a great bulb but the only way to escape the rays is too hide from it--- this could be why he is wanting out all the time-- I would try covering half of it or 2/3 of it and see how he acts--
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He was just a little tyke back then, I see him way up high on that log. That log is a beauty, I'd put it back in even if it;s the only decor. :) But yes, do measure the tank and also double check the temps. to make sure he's not hot. And ask the vet what parasites he ha, there are names + different meds. for all of them. But it's still most likely that his activity is just an energetic, hormonal dragon and nothing really to worry about. :)

NelsonBernard

Original Poster
AHBD":2vpzvhfe said:
He was just a little tyke back then, I see him way up high on that log. That log is a beauty, I'd put it back in even if it;s the only decor. :) But yes, do measure the tank and also double check the temps. to make sure he's not hot. And ask the vet what parasites he ha, there are names + different meds. for all of them. But it's still most likely that his activity is just an energetic, hormonal dragon and nothing really to worry about. :)

He's definitely energetic!

102389-4385332130.jpg
102389-7380804159.jpg

102389-6347870100.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks great, fit + on the lean side which makes for a healthy dragon unless there's some underlying problem. Looks like he's ready to romp + rumble in that pic. :)

NelsonBernard

Original Poster
AHBD":3fumo9aw said:
He looks great, fit + on the lean side which makes for a healthy dragon unless there's some underlying problem. Looks like he's ready to romp + rumble in that pic. :)

Thanks for saying so! He is my pride and joy but he's giving me plenty of stress right now!

I haven't noticed him hiding under his basking ledge or log recently so maybe he feels he cant escape the light - he may be too big! Maybe I need to get a new hide for him.

Ive remeasured the tank and conversion calculators tell me it's 81.5 US Gallons. This seems to be pretty much the biggest I can find online which is what the petstore told me too.

CHE temp with the probe is set to 95F at the warm end. Laser thermometer usually reads at 102-107F depending how close it is under the CHE and 80F in the cool end.

I'll have a look at the meds details tomorrow. If it is hormonal, does that just mean 'its only a phase dad'? He's definitely a male because he has 2 bumps and visible fermoral pores.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He must be a really long dragon, just looks big in the tank + giving the illusion that the tank is smaller. It's fine though, and as for hormone/activity level , that can all vary throughout their lives but should even out as he gets older. They are all different .

NelsonBernard

Original Poster
AHBD":3uj4ot9t said:
He must be a really long dragon, just looks big in the tank + giving the illusion that the tank is smaller. It's fine though, and as for hormone/activity level , that can all vary throughout their lives but should even out as he gets older. They are all different .

102389-6767657781.jpg

He is quite long yeah and I just had to get a diva didn't I haha.

These photos were taken September 18 and October 14 and that was the last time I saw him really really light on top and white underneath so whatever has happened has been since then. Ever since he turned 1...??

102389-7103116293.jpg

102389-3391735484.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
All I see is a bearded beard. :) No, he's a great looking guy and they do lighten/darken depending on mood, temps., between sheds, etc. He has a really sweet face, smiling beardie if I ever saw one. :)

NelsonBernard

Original Poster
AHBD":1p2de8tg said:

The medicine is called Parafend. All the vet said was there's worm eggs in the faecal sample I sent in.

Today he has had another poo, not runny but soft, he napped with me in bed for 2 hours! Then he was surfing a bit so I got him out again and he ventured into the christmas tree again. Since then, he's been back in his tank and ive covered half of his window with a blanket and he's now hiding in the shadow under his ledge.

NelsonBernard

Original Poster
102389-2559896019.jpg

I got up this morning to find him like this. The past couple of mornings I've got up earlier and got him out and went back to bed for naps which seemed to settle him. Now he's running round the house and I just found navigating the stairs for the first time. Maybe he really wants those naps!

NelsonBernard

Original Poster
And now he has started headbobbing for the first time. Imagine if all this nonsense is because he's horny and hormonal like you's suggested ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I love the picture of him, they do strike the craziest poses sometimes. :) Like " hey, I'm over here in case you didn't know I'd like to come out for some exploring ! " And he means right now !

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hiccup has been going nuts the last week -- wants out constantly- wall surfed 4 hrs on Friday- couldn't get him out as I was working--- drove me insane- he's not eating -- I am thinking its male hormones- no head bobbing or anything like that -- he looks out the LR window when he's out then finds his sleeping spot and takes a nap - he is now jumping from back of chair to the windowsill of which he never did before-- too cold for him to sit there so I move him-- I do not know what is up w/ this behavior- after he's out for 2 hrs or so he's fine when I put him back in his tank
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom