Tank and humidity problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

LimKH

Should I change my tank to the Exo Terra "large, low" terrarium? The tank I'm currently using is an ordinary fish tank(60x39x50cm). It was a HUGE mistake as the humidity was super hard to control. I planned on using the fish tank because the bearded dragon I have is a baby and I don't want it just go to waste. Secondly, the humidity is always high as I live in a tropical country. 50-65% in the day and 66-79% in the night. The pet shop in my country said that it's ok if it gets high, as long as it didn't stay in the same humidity for a long tim.(as in if the humidity is around 50-59% is alright if the humidity rises). Sorry if this is long.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
LimKH":ha9rrzfq said:
Should I change my tank to the Exo Terra "large, low" terrarium? The tank I'm currently using is an ordinary fish tank(60x39x50cm). It was a HUGE mistake as the humidity was super hard to control. I planned on using the fish tank because the bearded dragon I have is a baby and I don't want it just go to waste. Secondly, the humidity is always high as I live in a tropical country. 50-65% in the day and 66-79% in the night.
<<< that's fine if it's not permanently up around 80% RH..

I'm coastal in a coastal tropical climate ( 33 degS latitude and only 2km from the Pacific Ocean and a very large saltwater tidal lake) , I rarely see RH under 60% during the day except in winter or when the very hot dry winds make their way from the interior of Australia (in a heatwave), this is even with the aircon running 24/7.
And I know keepers ( who I met when I worked as a consultant pyromet engineer and later as a grey nomad ) who keep central bearded dragons who live in the far north ( Far Nth Queensland ( Cairns = 17 degS ), NT ( Darwin = 12 degS ) , and Far Nth of WA ( Pilbara and Kimberley ie Kununurra 15.6 degS , Broome 18 degS ,Port Hedland 20.4 degS , Karratha 20.7 degS ) where summer humidities are extreme ( very high temperatures with very high humidity (esp on the coast) - cyclone season / the WET season ) who successfully keep and breed their dragons , most housed permanently in outdoor aviary style converted large 2m x 2m raised Colorbond garden bed type pits .

The pet shop in my country said that it's ok if it gets high, as long as it didn't stay in the same humidity for a long tim.(as in if the humidity is around 50-59% is alright if the humidity rises). Sorry if this is long.

LimKH

Original Poster
So is the humidity problem ok or not(I didnt really get what you were trying to say)? And should I change the tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom