Brumation question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone

I am letting my 2 yr old bearded dragon brumate for the first time. He was showing all the signs: reduced eating, sleeping in the day, going to bed earlier etc. I took him for a parasite check and he is clear so I reduced his lights and temps over a week and then when he went to the toilet I fully turned them off.

He has been in the dark for 4 days and I checked on him today and he isn’t asleep. His head is up, not completely alert but certainly not in his sleeping position. He also hasn’t crawled completely into his cave, he is just half in half out. Is this normal? I don’t want to keep him in the dark if he isn’t actually brumating in case he gets sick?

What do people think? Shall I keep him in the dark or should I turn his lights back on?

Background info:
He eats calcium dusted crickets and hoppers 2-3 times a week, veggies offered daily (mostly spring greens and rocket).
Directly under his basking spot is 39c and the hot end generally is 30-35C and the cool is 26 - 30.
His uv b is the Arcadia t5 14% Strip light at the hot end and the 10% version at the cool end. Replaced every 6 months.
Lights on 13 hours a day which I reduced to 10 in the build up to turning them off
His tank is 180cm x 90 x 90
He is 645g
Vet says he looks healthy

I am uk so we are well into the winter now but it took a while to get him checked at vet and parasite result back.

Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That is normal for the 1/2 in 1/2 out of hide - mine does the same --- I would take him out once a week and give him water since hes not eating alot- either bath time or syringe or how ever he normally gets water --- keep an eye on his weight -- I am weighing mine every couple of weeks or so to make sure hes not losing weight -- they can lose some you just dont want them to lose a lot --- follow his lead if he comes out of his hide I would turn the lights on of course --- or you can turn them on to see if it draws him out -- it is up to you ---
Karrie

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I'm no expert, sharing my personal opinion that I do not turn off the "sun". A small heat bulb is on, UVB all off. When my girl first started brumation signs this year she was a half in / half out of her hides (hot and cool side), then she transitioned herself to fully in a hide (cool side) over the course of 3 weeks approximately. I got her a bigger hide once she made it clear she wanted to fully hide. Her "sun" is on 8 hours a day if she decided to come out, that makes me comfortable because the choice is up to her to try and bask when she feels ready.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I also leave the lights on a normal schedule throughout brumation. There are two full size hides available and I usually put down extra fleece for burrowing so it's dark and comfortable if they want that. I also want them to have a consistent light cycle and the option to come out and bask if they want it. It may be fine to go either way, but this has worked for me so far. As DorgEndo mentioned, just an opinion/experience rather than a set rule.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, there are really no "set rules" per say when it comes to brumation phases since they
all seem to have slightly different behavior.
I have always left a light on for at least part of the day, just so they have a day/night type of cycle
going on. Also in the case they decide to warm up, it is an option for them, too.

Tracie

Peach

Hatchling Member
Bleu did a random 'sleep for 3 days, come out for a few days' in November, but he finally went down a week and a half ago. I took him out today to check on him and he ate a little but I expect he'll crawl back in and go to sleep when he's done. I've been leaving his lights on like normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom