How to Set Up a Vacation Tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Well, my husband got wind of how much boarding a beardie at the vet will cost, and needless to say, if he had a beardie beard, it would be all black and puffed out right now. As a result, I'm thinking of bringing Figment to my parents' house over the three days we'll be away for Christmas, and I'm trying to figure out what a decent, safe "vacation tank" would look like.

We do have a 20Long, which I cringe a bit at proposing... but it's only for three days. Figment isn't yet at his full growth (when I measured him tonight, he's about 16.5 inches long). Can he get by with the smaller tank for a few days? If not, what would you propose using? What about UV - can he do without for 3 days, or should I get another strip and bulb? What wattage of basking bulb would be best for a smaller tank? Our current lamp is 100w for our 40BR.

And... what do you use to transport your dragon in during the winter when you're riding in the car? He's outgrown the box I bought him in, and the cat carrier we have is a bit large (and it's also mostly mesh - not good for keeping warm). What makes for a good beardie travelling coop?

Please be as detailed as you want to be about how to travel with a beardie... I'm having a minor freak out at the moment, contemplating this!

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
beckys19":2sv8lptc said:
I was wondering if a huge clear plastic storage bin - cut out the lid and add screen- would work for a few days? Home Depot has 50 gallon ones:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sterilite-50-Gal-Stacker-Box-14794K03/308820153

I'm guessing the main problems with giving your parents his regular tank is because it's too big/heavy to move for just 3 days?

The storage bin is an excellent idea - I will look into it. Yes, the problem with duplicating his 40BR is that it's too big and heavy to move for just three days, plus not enough room in the car to tote it AND all the luggage AND Christmas presents. It's also too pricey to buy a second full setup with all the lights and such, for the limited time we're there. Not sure how to do the cutting out of the lid and adding screen... I'm not usually a DIY sort... but I'm sure that for 3 days we could get a clip-on basking lamp to work okay, or find a lamp stand. Thanks for the advice!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since he is bigger, it's easier to travel with him. If you can provide a room that closes and you can dragon proof it to an extent, you could just set him up in a bedroom with a basking lamp and carrier. That's what I do and it works pretty well. I agree it's a pain to lug around a whole enclosure so I don't. I like using this carrier because it straps into a seatbelt. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EW2WKZU/

I set that up with an adjustable lamp stand and a halogen or mercury vapor bulb (PowerSun 100w for example) and just let him be in a closed up room (no loose bits on the floor, no other animals around, no areas he can get to that are inaccessible (he often sleeps on the floor under a bed which is fine).
76248-2473803661.jpg

You could also use a collapsable playpen like this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SFA8KBS/ It takes up more space in a room and is harder to light inside but doesn't take much packing space. The open top playpens work too, but they can usually climb the mesh sides and get out. I've tried that in the past and found it to be too cumbersome.

76248-7200013599.jpg

That said, I travel all the time with my guy and it works well, especially once you find a routine that works for you. It's good to keep cleaning supplies handy in the car in case of poops. They do fine at normal car temps so you don't need much else. Sometimes hand warmers to put under a towel or blanket for them in winter if you leave the car to get a meal etc.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hey, CooperDragon - Thanks for the tips! Free ranging at my parents’ place isn’t really an option, sadly, and the spare bedroom just isn’t big enough for a full sized playpen (we learned that when our dog was a puppy). But I like the look of that car carrier a lot, and will grab one of those bulbs, too. I just want to make sure I’ve got all my bases covered!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom