Baby beardie help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

00oddbranch

Hey guys I'm in desperate need for answers. Me and my girlfriend bought our new bearded dragon Toast about 4-5 months ago (That's also his age)
We've done hundreds upon hundreds of hours of research and came to the conclusion that his tiredness is just due to brumation, although brumation is uncommon in baby bearded dragons.
So now we're faced with this issue where our child refuses to eat or really do anything other then sleep, it's been about a month and some since we've seen significant action from him. He used to be really lively ate every day, (Mealworms) and we've tried veggies but he's not the biggest fan especially with being a baby essentially.
His uvb is fine (Research and tons of videos), And it's not our first rodeo, Our previous bearded dragon Benji died of mites because her brother foolishly fed him worms from outside.
We need help, I'm extremely worried and don't want to lose another one.
The tanks temperature is around 90-100 degrees, He has a cool side ofc. We turn the lights off before he goes to bed
We use repti carpet as his substrate, Paper towels when that's not clean enough, He used to get a bath every week, His tank got cleaned every other week, and like I said he ate every morning and had his water bowl filled just enough to where he could sit in it without drowning etc.
I seriously can't tell if it is brumation anymore, We've thought about taking him to the vet but that can be spendy and we want to figure this out like we have in the past
I suggested that we post on a forum and so here I am now.
We've fed him some crickets too from a pet store or online official breeder.
idk, i'm worried and need suggestions, he obviously reacts if he's disturbed such as being tilted over to see if he reacts and he almost completely avoids his light to hide under his things in his tank, the tank is 18x18'' that's all she remembers 18x18x16''
Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.
we really don't want to lost another child, especially after failing to save the previous one.
ty.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

At 4 months it's very unlikely he is brumating. Unless he is massive in size at 4 months, not likely. How big is he?

Could you get us a picture of him so we can see him and a picture of your setup?

9 times out of 10 these issues relate to some form of husbandry issues. When you hear hoofsteps outside your window at night, dont go looking for zebras.
It basically means the most common and obvious solution is usually the answer.

I know you said you did tons of research, but it doesnt hurt to give us the details so we can double check.

What type of uvb bulb are you using? And what is the distance of bulb to basking spot?

A big red flag to me is you state his temperature is around 90-100. That is a big difference between numbers.
Temperatures are the number 1 most important aspect of their husbandry IMO. You need to know exactly what the temperature is and you can only do that with an accurate device. No dial stick on thermometers.

We need to know what your basking SURFACE temperature is
What your warm side is.
And what your cool side is.

Those are all temps you should know, the most important being the basking surface and the cool side.

So many health issues can stem from improper temperatures. So it really is important that we verify your temps, especially seeing as how your dragon is acting sickly.

Sorry I know that's a lot but once you get us 1 or 2 pics, details on your uvb and your temperatures, and how you are measuring temps, we can go on from there with the troubleshooting.

Hope to hear back from you soon so we can get Toast back on the road to good health :D

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom