Beardie broken toe

Status
Not open for further replies.

jowat

Hello everyone,

Has someone have experience with broken toes?
My Lizzie broke her toe a week ago. She doesnt seem bothered about at all, still running around, digging, but unfortunately it's not looking good.
I went to the vets and they estimated £400 for the surgery to remove the toe. I still did not book the surgery, because it just seems a lot of money. :( I thought I will seek a second opinion.
Have any of you experienced something familiar. Any advice would be great.
Thank you.
Jo

106784-1983760163.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks like a pretty bad break. I think the big concern is that it would become infected which could pose a serious risk. It may or may not cause her discomfort or mobility issues but if it gets infected it will become a very serious situation and will need quick care.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I think a visit to the nearest reptile vet is in order to have the toe seen to ( outcome depends on type of break , compound, clean or perhaps even a dislocation ).
Get a second opinion. If it's infected and not a compound fracture, should be very easy for a vet to reset it ( under a very quick general ).
Did they take and provide you with xrays ?

The hand / forearm seems quite swollen in that picture - that's a bad sign ==> infection is setting in.

Better safe than sorry later, I'd deal with it while it's fresh rather than waiting even a few days as it will be relatively easy for a vet deal with fresh , but is likely to become a major drama and expensive treatment if it comes infected or causes a systemic infection . You a likely to be looking at a lot more if / when gangrene sets in or a systemic infection and a full limb amputation becomes necessary or a long cause of antibiotics are needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom