Wall surfing

Have any questions about one of the many subtle behaviors a beardie has? Ask and discuss it here!

Wall surfing

Postby Palealienos » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:24 am

My bearded dragon is about 3 years old but I just got him a couple days ago. I got him a 50 gal tank with the correct light set up and everything, the temp is usually 100° at his basking spot and I use a ceramic heater at night so he has darkness to sleep. He has been sleeping during the day and extremely active at night, like climbing up the walls. I don’t have any backdrops but there’s a divider on the left side of the tank so he doesn’t see my crested gecko. Is there anything else he could be wanting to escape from? I haven’t seen any poop but the first time he would eat for me was last night around 2 am.
Palealienos
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Wall surfing

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:32 am

With my skinks and dragons this usually means
> I've pooed ( get rid of it please )
> I want to come out to have a snuggle
> I want to come out to have fun floor time
> I am hungry
> can also mean - I'm too hot and want to come out to cool down ( temperature escape attempt ).
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : new rescues Cheakie (subadult M) Nov 2019, Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:14 pm

What are his temps at nite w / the heat emitter --- ???? If its 80 or warmer its too hot
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:42 pm

KarrieRee wrote:What are his temps at nite w / the heat emitter --- ???? If its 80 or warmer its too hot
Karrie

80 F ( 27 degC ) is fine.
My home is climate controlled and I set my aircon to 24 degC overnight ( slowfan/quiet fan , economy mode , either reverse cycle in winter or cool in summer ).

My gang all sleep very well at night , even have access to warmed hides ( by heatpads sandwiched between ceramic tiles on switching thermostats set to either 36 degC (warm hide) or 32 degC (cool hide) for the bearded dragons and the bluetongues and the water skinks (7W pads for the big lizards, 5W pads in the case of water skinks).
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : new rescues Cheakie (subadult M) Nov 2019, Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby BeardedDragonSteve » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:06 am

kingofnobbys wrote:With my skinks and dragons this usually means
> I've pooed ( get rid of it please )
> I want to come out to have a snuggle
> I want to come out to have fun floor time
> I am hungry
> can also mean - I'm too hot and want to come out to cool down ( temperature escape attempt ).

I always wanted a skink.
Got Crickets?
BeardedDragonSteve
Hatchling Poster

Postby claudiusx » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:35 pm

Moved by Moderator from Beardie ER to Behavior
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
claudiusx

Postby claudiusx » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:36 pm

Hi there,

This is very very common behavior for a dragon in a new environment. They go through relocation stress when put in a new environment or a new home. Some dragons shut down and act lethargic, and sometimes they get wild and try to escape because they are scared.

He should have settled down a bit by now. How is he doing?

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Behavior