Rankins or Beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpalAndZayde

Hatchling Member
Hello! I recently got my baby, Opal, on Oct 13th. She was roughly 6 1/2" long from tip of nose to tip of tail. Then I discovered Rankins, and I started to think she may be one.. here are my reasons:

1. barely any head spines
2. loves to swim (did research and rankins are found loving water)
3. very jumpy, another thing I read about rankins. She'll just randomly jump off of her hammock, and me!
4. only grown around 1/4" since I got her (Oct 13) which makes her 6 3/4"
5. she has similar characteristic and behavioral traits that rankins have.

102727-9903277996.jpg

102727-5750809838.jpg

What do you think? :blob5: None of my other beardies have acted like her before.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Well first, Rankins are beardies. There are 8 species of Bearded Dragon; Pogona vitticeps (A.K.A. Central bearded dragon or inland bearded dragon) is the one we're most familiar with, but Pogona henrylawsoni (A.K.A. Rankin's dragon, Black-soil bearded dragon, Dumpy dragon, Dwarf bearded dragon) is another.

I think, however, that more likely what you have is a morph--or combination of morphs--of Pogona vitticeps. Rankin's are less common, and from what I've seen personally, bring substantially higher prices.

See Pogona and the Similar Topics below.

OpalAndZayde

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks for your reply. What about her size? I feel she's a b it small and slow growing for her age..

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Definitely a central, not a rankins :)

Just like humans, they all grow at different rates. Some are naturally gonna be smaller and some larger. And sometimes they go through growth spurts as opposed to steady linear growth.

As long as your husbandry is proper and you're offering a healthy diet, opal will grow how she was made to grow :)

-Brandon

NibblezBeardie

Hatchling Member
Hello, I read this and my Beardie seems to match these characteristics. She’s only 14” and she’s 11 months “as of November 30th) and the other day in the bath she was splashing water all over herself. She’s also kinda jumpy. Could she be a Rankins?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
NibblezBeardie":261l61il said:
Hello, I read this and my Beardie seems to match these characteristics. She’s only 14” and she’s 11 months “as of November 30th) and the other day in the bath she was splashing water all over herself. She’s also kinda jumpy. Could she be a Rankins?

Nope, definitely not a rankins either :)

-Brandon

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
Bearded dragons can grow at drastically different rates, and be full grown in a wide range of lengths/weights. I've a friend with a >2yo beardy at I believe 14-15 inches. Mine is still growing at almost 18 inches at almost 18 months. Here I thought mine was on the small side... seeing as a lot of beardies around here are already >400 or >500g at 18 months, mine pops in at 340-350.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom