Amount of calcium supplement needed w/BSFL & Dubia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckys19

Since we will be picking up a young beardie, and from looking things up, it seems like the best feeders would be a mix of dubia and bsfl. Most of the info I found online either calls for crickets or lists the best feeders, but no guide to what the ratio should be. Also, is 1 feeding of bsfl about equivalent to one calcium dusting? From the chart, it says calcium 7x/week for under 1 year, I am guessing that would work out to 1 feeding of BSFL a day, and dubia 2x (or more?) a day and appropriate veggies, plus a little bit if fruit.

For vitamin dusting, does it matter if it's the dubia or the bsfl that gets dusted? Any other daily or several times a week live feeders that are age-appropriate for beardies under 6 months that I am missing? I know wax worms are a potential feeder, but are high in fat so I don't know how often I should offer this "snack".

I've also found a site that says red worms could be used as a treat (since they are high fat), are these the same red worms used for composting (I used to have a bin before we moved) and is there any concerns about parasites/etc if I do start a colony of red worms and use some to feed?

Veggies like carrots and radishes are listed as ok to feed, I am guessing that by extension so would the greens from those plants?

I know I've been pelting everyone with questions, but I just want to make sure we have a happy and healthy baby!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's best to feed as much variety as you can. It's often feasible to keep only one or two feeders on a regular basis though (such as a roach colony). I'd just offer some of the other options on rotation. The supplements are to make up for deficiencies in the nutrition of the bugs. BSFL are pretty rich in calcium on their own so I offer them plain. I give crickets and roaches a light dusting of calcium supplement (shake gently in a cup with some calcium powder until they have a light even coat then let them loose in small batches during a meal). I also like to offer things like hornworms (large, for older dragons) and silk worms when I can get them. I don't advise red worms unless they are grown specifically for a dragon with a healthy diet and environment. Food grade bugs raised for feeding reptiles are best.

Same goes for veges. You'll find some favorites that are available regularly but try to rotate what you offer based on what's fresh at the store. The green tops of veges are often edible too but be sure to include some dark leafy greens like collards, kale, turnip greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, bok choy, etc. on rotation as well.

beckys19

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3a350sry said:
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html--
I would not feed radishes to your baby--
Karrie

The site said it's an ok one to feed occasionally. For the carrot/radish greens, I was thinking of giving them now and then when we pick up bunches from the farmers market that still have the greens on.

I just want to make sure I don't give too much calcium, I thought I read on here that could cause problems also.

I didn't want to use crickets, since they can carry parasites. I'm guessing small waxworms would be an ok occassional feeder, as well as butterworms, anything else for one under 6 months?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Wax worms and butter worms are like candy-- I would recommend dubia roaches- them and bsfl are the best staple feeders I think-- bsfl you don't need to dust- dubias need to be dusted-- 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week-- please look at the nutrition website I don't believe radishes are to be fed to dragons---
Karrie

beckys19

Original Poster
KarrieRee":q3rgcvld said:
Wax worms and butter worms are like candy-- I would recommend dubia roaches- them and bsfl are the best staple feeders I think-- bsfl you don't need to dust- dubias need to be dusted-- 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week-- please look at the nutrition website I don't believe radishes are to be fed to dragons---
Karrie

Yes, my plan was to use dubia & bsfl as the main feeders. Unless I am missing something, radishes are listed in black which means they are ok as an occasional item??? I wasn't planning to feed a lot, just maybe a small bit when we got some from the farm market once a month or so... I have no problem sticking with the foods listed in green only, just wondering....

kprnz18

Piggybacking on this question, if BSFL are the only staple protein how often would you dust with calcium w/ d3? I get the calcium isn't necessarily needed, but the D3 certainly is.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Its good to feed another staple as well -- like the dubias -- or crickets which ever you prefer - I use BSFL and dubias and dust the dubias --- as far as only using the BSFL I am not sure --
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The d3 isn't really necessary as the body will produce it naturally if uvb conditions are proper.

-Brandon

kprnz18

claudiusx":35zeeplv said:
The d3 isn't really necessary as the body will produce it naturally if uvb conditions are proper.

-Brandon

I have heard so many differing opinions on this. My vet wants him on it at least 3 x a week so I'll go with that I suppose.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well go with what makes you feel comfortable then.

Just watch out for signs of d3 toxicity or over supplementation.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom